YPAO almost Blew my B&W 705's

D

dnguillory

Audiophyte
My RX-V2600 during setup almost blew my 705's during the first step speaker identification. I have had receiver a long time and this is the first time it has happened. I love my 2600 because of the power it delivers. I can live without the OSD overlays and High Res audio decoding of the new stuff, but I dont want to give up SQ and power.

Some say Rotel is what I need. I was thinking the RX-V3900 or the RX-Z7. Can anyone tell me if I a will give up wattsx5 on these two vs my 2600 and or should I be looking at Rotel?

I may need PEQ because my room is 700sqft, 12' cathedral ceilings and TV is in the corner. I use 705 bookshelf and the big 700 series center channel along with the CCM-65 in ceiling rounds for surrounds.

I'd love to consider Rotel, but may need PEQ. I have had Denon 3808CI in here and it sounded good, but under powered compared to the RX-V2600.

I am familiar with and use TrueRTA software and SPL meter for room correction so I may be able to do without auto room correction.

Please make some suggestions and thanks in advance, Dave

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Define "almost blew"?:confused:

If I were to say I almost got laid, then...

D

dnguillory

Audiophyte
Sorry. the receiver emmits a pink noise tone and steps up like 5db every 2 seconds or so. Well it should step like 4 times. Instead it stepped like 7 times and didn't stop until the speaker was as loud as I've ever heard a speaker ever and it was a scary cracking sound. Now I have a pretty killer JL Audio syetem in my truck and and have been around, and when I say "almost blew", I mean I am pretty **** lucky they are not blown. I am sure they are dammaged, just not sure how much.
Thanks

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry. the receiver emmits a pink noise tone and steps up like 5db every 2 seconds or so. Well it should step like 4 times. Instead it stepped like 7 times and didn't stop until the speaker was as loud as I've ever heard a speaker ever and it was a scary cracking sound. Now I have a pretty killer JL Audio syetem in my truck and and have been around, and when I say "almost blew", I mean I am pretty **** lucky they are not blown. I am sure they are dammaged, just not sure how much.
Thanks
I am on my second Yamaha(1400/Z7) using the same five MB Quart speakers, and have ran YPAO numerous times. It does get loud, but I have never felt my speakers were about to blow.

While B&W 705 are not my cup of tea, they are a fantastic set of speakers to have. I find it hard to believe the YPAO damaged your speaker.

I would be more willing to accept YPAO revealed speaker damage that you were not aware of.

Not meant to offend, it's just my opinion.

Last edited:
D

dnguillory

Audiophyte
I can appreciate your opinion as it is based on the thought that the YPAO is acting correctly, it is not. I've had the receiver since they came out in 05 and have run YPAO numerous times in the past. I may not have made myself clear, but my receiver is damaged and YPAO is not operating correctly. It is over driving the speaker during the first speaker check of the auto setup. Trust me, it is not normal.:mad:

Can anyone offer any suggestions on the power questions I asked in the post about the 3900 or Z7?

Also, any thoughts on pure audio quality and room acoustics of Rotel and can it perform better in my situation over the yamaha products.

The biggest reason I have the 705's is because of the front port as mine have to be in a built in book case on both sides of the TV. I found rear ported high end ( or any end for that matter) bookshelf speakers didn't sound good at all.

Thanks

D

dnguillory

Audiophyte
I have a tendancy to look at the "5 channels driven " test on home theater mag reviews of the receivers and rely on them to compare receivers power. Should we not consider their test when trying to assume the real world capability of the receiver? If i can rely on something else, then Everything else about the Yamaha (above $1500) receivers work good for me.

D

dnguillory

Audiophyte
I appreciate the review on these two. If the receiver delivers more than rated power 2 channels driven and can double it in 4ohm, is that better standard to follow than the "5 channels driven" test done by Home Theater magazine or sound $ vision?

I really appreciate the insight. Its why I joined the forum. I am just trying to get educated before I buy another big receiver.
Thanks

D

dnguillory

Audiophyte
Thank you. I have a better understanding now. Big heavy transformer, low THD, and close to double output at 4ohm should be adequate. So its all about features now.
Thanks

B

BWG707

Audioholic
I can appreciate your opinion as it is based on the thought that the YPAO is acting correctly, it is not. I've had the receiver since they came out in 05 and have run YPAO numerous times in the past. I may not have made myself clear, but my receiver is damaged and YPAO is not operating correctly. It is over driving the speaker during the first speaker check of the auto setup. Trust me, it is not normal.:mad:

Can anyone offer any suggestions on the power questions I asked in the post about the 3900 or Z7?

Also, any thoughts on pure audio quality and room acoustics of Rotel and can it perform better in my situation over the yamaha products.

The biggest reason I have the 705's is because of the front port as mine have to be in a built in book case on both sides of the TV. I found rear ported high end ( or any end for that matter) bookshelf speakers didn't sound good at all.

Thanks
I'm just wondering if you knew your reciever was damaged why would you run YPAO?

D

dnguillory

Audiophyte
I didn't know it was damaged until I took it out of it's box ( had been put away and not used for a year) and hooked it back up in my system. The behavior of YPAO was the indicator that it was damaged. It was in perfect condition when put away last time. There was no reason to think anything was wrong until that first attempt at auto setup after the unit had been put away for a year or so. In fact, the unit works fine otherwise. I had to set everything normally, but not sure I have peq right. Also, I am worried that it may quit working or something worse. When I get a new receiver, I will look into sending it to repair.

Can we move past the notion that I don't know if YPAO is not working or that I would try and use it if were behaving this way?

Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis