Your wisdom is needed

E

Emusica

Audioholic
I have a problem. I had an old Sony STR-DE 835 receiver that I used with some Polk RT 25 speakers. Used it for several years with no problem. Upon upgrading, I sold it to my friend who fried the receiver and had to have it fixed. Now, the receiver keeps blowing the speakers and the guy at the shop keeps telling him that the receiver is too powerful for the speakers that I used with no problems. :confused: The receiver is 100 watts as is the speakers. I think this guy didn't fix the amp properly and now it has a recurrent problem. What do you think?

annunaki

annunaki

It could also be that your friend drives the living daylight out the amplifier sending it into heavy clipping. Never assume people listen the same way you do. There are a lot of people today that seem to be unable to hear distortion.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
It's hard to "overdrive" speakers with too much power. It can be done, but I guarantee you that Sony is not overpowering his speakers or just about any other speaker for that matter. It's much more common to have insufficient power going to the speaker when it's being driven to the limit. This will cause distortion and clipping which can and often will damage a speaker. Also, that 100 watt rating on that Sony is way way overrated. Like Annunaki said, many people really crank their systems. When this is done with insufficient power, damage is done.

Or, it could be a bad repair.

Shinerman

annunaki

annunaki

Technically speaking, any time one encounters a voice coil failure, it is from "overpowering" the speaker. Check out the thread here for more information on the topic.

Or, it could be a bad repair.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Emusica said:
I have a problem. I had an old Sony STR-DE 835 receiver that I used with some Polk RT 25 speakers. Used it for several years with no problem. Upon upgrading, I sold it to my friend who fried the receiver and had to have it fixed. Now, the receiver keeps blowing the speakers and the guy at the shop keeps telling him that the receiver is too powerful for the speakers that I used with no problems. :confused: The receiver is 100 watts as is the speakers. I think this guy didn't fix the amp properly and now it has a recurrent problem. What do you think?
He could very easily be crossing the + and - speaker wire terminals at the back of the reciever or even at the speakers. He could be stripping his speaker wire too far back. If they touch, bad things tend to happen to the amp. If he can't hear distortion, he is probably blowing tweeters left and right. Here's a few questions.

What brand and model are the speakers?
Which driver(s) is he blowing?
What type of music does he listen to?

E

Emusica

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
He could very easily be crossing the + and - speaker wire terminals at the back of the reciever or even at the speakers. He could be stripping his speaker wire too far back. If they touch, bad things tend to happen to the amp. If he can't hear distortion, he is probably blowing tweeters left and right. Here's a few questions.

What brand and model are the speakers?
Which driver(s) is he blowing?
What type of music does he listen to?
Polk RT 25
Polk RF 6000 series

He lives in an apt so he can't even turn it up loud, whether it's movies or music. He listens mostly to R&B and Jazz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis