Your Thoughts?... Receiver For HT Refresh

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I've been away from buying A/V gear for a while and I need some advice. I'm going to be taking delivery of a Samsung LN52A850 before Christmas. So far so good, but my problem is that my old Pioneer receiver doesn't do HDMI and I'd like to make the transition. Tied into this TV (via a receiver) will be a DirectTV HD DVR receiver, a PS3, a Toshiba HD DVD, an older Pioneer DV-563 DVD/DVD-A/SACD, and a music server. Output will be to a pair of Boston VR3 towers, a VRC center, a pair of VRX surrounds, and an SVSounds PB12 Plus/2.

Here is my question. Since much of my DVD viewing will be vanilla DVDs will I need super duper upscaling or will the Samsung TV handle that ok? I'm leaning heavily toward the Onkyo SR806 ($600). Do I really need to spring for the extra $400 for the SR876 or will the 806 do ok? Usage will be 75% high-def TV, 10% High-def DVDs, 7% vanilla DVDs, and 8% music (classic rock and jazz).

Am I missing anything I need to know?

The room is a combination family room and kitchen and pretty small.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Well it definitely sounds like you need to make the jump to an HDMI AVR with all of those sources and that nice new display coming in....that is for sure. But generally what I have read around here in terms of upscaling is that a good display such as the Samsung you are getting, will do this just as well as any processor in an AVR.

The ultimate reality is that no scaler can make your SD source into a HD level signal....So I would have to say that the Sammy is going to do just a fine job and don't worry about the Reon in the 876....it won't make that much of a difference...also considering he fact you have a nice mix of HD sources as well...

That aside I would look at other receivers other than the 806...as that model was a fairly substantial downgrade from the 805....in two places that really matter too: the amp section and the DACs. If you want Onkyo, I would look for a 805, which is a *much* better unit and can be found for the same price as the 806. Otherwise research some Denon, Pioneer, and Yamaha models would be my suggestion...

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Chopin_Guy!

Before I pull the trigger on this today is there anything else with TrueHD capability that I should be looking at in this price range (<$700 online)?

TIA!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say also take a look at the entry level Pioneer Elites, such as the VSX-01THX.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Ive looked for Onkyo SR805 and they are pretty much gone. I did find a refurbished 875 for about $900 delivered. That's $300 more than a brand new 806.

Yamaha RX-V863 seems a bit power challenged but has similar features to the 806 for about $900.

As much as I'd love a RX-V1900 or an Elite SC-05 I just can't swing that much right now.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Amazon has the 805 in black for $682, but they aren't in stock. The silver is in stock, but it's $1000.

Accessories4less has reconditioned 805s for $550.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Amazon has the 805 in black for $682, but they aren't in stock. The silver is in stock, but it's $1000.
The black is a long back order.

Accessories4less has reconditioned 805s for $550.
Before I go any further on the Onkyos, didn't the 805 have an insurmountable audio sync issue? I used to hang out here a lot and my fuzzy memory remembers something about a sync issue that wasn't going to be fixed until a new model (the 806) came out. That's why I've been looking so hard at the '06 line. Did I hallucinate this or was it an issue and if so was it fixed? :confused:

The heat thing also worrisome because I live in the desert and it gets flipping hot here in the summer. 110 degrees is common and I'm spending a fortune on AC. :eek: Finally before I pull the trigger on the refurb 805 does it pull the sound through the HDMI or is it just a pass through? :confused:

Can anybody think of any reason that I should not buy that refurb 805? Anything that I'm missing?

Thanks again for all your help!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Personally, I wouldn't buy the 805. I recall reading about issues with them, including the heat issue, and I just happen to think that they are ugly. I posted the links because I figured that I'd point you to some if you wanted one.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Personally, I wouldn't buy the 805. I recall reading about issues with them, including the heat issue, and I just happen to think that they are ugly. I posted the links because I figured that I'd point you to some if you wanted one.
I don't care about pretty but I remember the 805 having issues to. Plus I'd need an HDMI switch with the 805. Ok then we're back to what is the best solution for under $1000? I'm willing to bust my budget by that far.

I'm looking at the specs for the SR876 again and it looks like it has everything the 805 had and that the 806 doesn't (53lbs!!!). All the missing transformers, the missing DACs, and the missing Audyssey MultEQ XT. I'm also reading on AVF that at least in Europe they are having problems the 806 and blue spots when playing with a PS3. I'm not sure if that problem shows up in US models but I want to order something by tomorrow morning.

With all of the combined knowledge on the forum there must be more thoughts on this.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
sholling, feel free to ask me any particulars about the 805. I'm using a refurbed 805 as pre/pro for over a half year.

The 876s improvements all lay in the video side, outside of Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Volume. ISF calibration controls, indepedent to souce inputs. On top of that, you can assign the same source to multiple inputs (calibrations), as then you can do things like apply EE to SD-DVD playback from your bluray player, or do the same with SD material from your STB. Uses Reon HQV I believe.

805s issues have included: poor cs, lipync, heat, what else...

My lip sync looks very, very good. I think I have BD at about 45ms delay, and HD-DVD at 60ms. Can't recall exactly. Trust me, I would notice issue with a screen that is over 11 ft wide in a light controlled HT.

You have to understand, however, is that there are lot of noobs and/or idiots that buy these midlevel receivers at $425-600. Sooooo many people who simply find sync variations between sources are blaming the receiver, since they read about such sycn issues.

For example, I almost stopped myself, didn't, but mentioned my brother's own sync issue. It then bugged the hell out of him for a bit, and now he's already forgot.

The sync issue for those who had it seemed to be helped out by FW. However, its not "official" fw, but there is plenty of stuff/instructions at avs with search function. Please note that if you have the very original FW of 1.00 or 1.01 or something like that, you can't update. mine came as 1.06 i believe, and i have no issues whatsoever, and i think the most recent is 1.08?

It does run hot. I recommend half a ft of clearance. I don't have that much space, but whatever. You can use fans as well. something I also didn't bother to install. its a very beefy ab amp. very big. note that this unit has separate power supplies for audio and video, something the 7xx and 6xx series don't.

I've insisted that the 805 was the best deal of 2008. I inadvertently talked myself into one as a pre. Oh, I could've bought an Integra 9.8, or NAD T175, or some super pricey pre/pro. This one does everything I need, which is not a whole lot, admittedly.

The only must haves for me:
Multi EQ XT
Able to bitstream advanced codecs (yam 663 cannot)
Somewhat flexible BM

that could be it.

If you don't need the brute power of the 805, I might try a Denon. For my personal desires, MEQXT being first priority, I do not recommend Yam, HK, Marantz, Pio. at the moment. That's for you to decide.

oh, the PS3 has been noted to cause issue sometimes, in strange ways. i cannot recall exactly, i dont have one, but a very, very experienced and knowledgable user originally blamed the 805 to raise black levels when passing 24p. He even had me convinced me for a little bit. It was the settings on his PS3 that was influencing all other sources connected, and one of the settings included superwhite i think.

parting shot: as for idiots, noobs, and misrepresented complaints. fwiw the 805 owner's thread is approaching PS3's owner thread in terms of # of posts and views. this is NOT to mention 505, 506, 605, 606, 705, 706, 806, 875, 876, 905, 906. I hope that puts into perspective how many of these units are out there. the 805 thread just at avs has over 17,000 posts and over 1 million views.

Last edited:
J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I just purchased a refurbed 805 directly from Onkyo. I picked it up for about $400. I also added an extra 2 years to my warranty so I have a 3 year manufactures warranty. I bought mine directly by joining club onkyo. You may want to check that out. www.clubonkyo.com is the web site. It is free to join. If you have any Onkyo gear you can register it with them and submit a review and you get Onkyo dollars that will give you a larger discount. Not to mention no shipping fees. I am powering 4 ohm 87 dB MB Quart towers with no issues so far with my 805. I have not pushed it very hard yet. I am happy with my purchase so far.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I just purchased a refurbed 805 directly from Onkyo. I picked it up for about $400. I also added an extra 2 years to my warranty so I have a 3 year manufactures warranty. I bought mine directly by joining club onkyo. You may want to check that out. www.clubonkyo.com is the web site. It is free to join. If you have any Onkyo gear you can register it with them and submit a review and you get Onkyo dollars that will give you a larger discount. Not to mention no shipping fees. I am powering 4 ohm 87 dB MB Quart towers with no issues so far with my 805. I have not pushed it very hard yet. I am happy with my purchase so far.
Thanks I'm registered there. Once in a while they have really super deals like that, but today the only refurb deal they have listed is an 876S for $100 more than Amazon would charge me for it brand new. I really-really should have jumped on it the last time but I swore to myself that I wasn't buying a new TV for a year so I didn't need a new receiver. Then Sears had that amazing sale on Saturday and I suddenly own a new TV... Anyway thanks!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks everyone I decided to splurge on the 876. It features the same high output as the older 805 but with some refinements. I probably wont do much with the video side but this is a once in 5 years thing for me and if I'd bought lower on the food chain I'd have been wondering what I was missing. I'll just have to go on a budget for a while now. Thanks again!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats on the 876. If it works as advertised, it offers a TON of features. I know you might not care, but I would try to learn how to employ all of its video features. Its incredibly flexible.

I'm not sure how many sources you have, but for your HD-DVD player for instance... if you use that for DVD as well... you can calibrate video settings for DVD vs HD-DVD. I know you can apply EE for instance, if desired for SD, and leave your HD stuff untouched. Like I said, the video calibration seems to be extremely flexible.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Great choice on the 876...you are always better going a little bit up the food chain otherwise you are left wondering....

Let us know your thought and enjoy!!! :D

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks. I mainly went for the 876 over the 806 for the larger transformers and the Audyssey MultEQ XT, and over the 805 for the additional audio decoding options and HDMI inputs. I'm sure that I'll carefully experiment with the video options especially with my Pioneer SD DVD/SACD/DVD-A player. I use that for all of my SD DVDs and CDs.

The TV arrived today and the Onkyo will be here tomorrow. I love Amazon Prime's $4 overnight delivery for a 65lb box! :D I'll spend tomorrow tearing down the old system and building the stand and setting everything up right. My sources will be the PS3 for BD, the Toshiba for HD DVD, the pioneer for DVDs and CDs, and a DTV HD DVR. Also a music server with 250GB+ (20 non-stop days worth) of legally owned FLACs.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
. . . and over the 805 for the additional audio decoding options and HDMI inputs.
What are the additional audio decoding options? It does have Dynamic EQ/Vol... but decoding is just decoding, right?

The TV arrived today and the Onkyo will be here tomorrow. I love Amazon Prime's $4 overnight delivery for a 65lb box! :D I'll spend tomorrow tearing down the old system and building the stand and setting everything up right. My sources will be the PS3 for BD, the Toshiba for HD DVD, the pioneer for DVDs and CDs, and a DTV HD DVR. Also a music server with 250GB+ (20 non-stop days worth) of legally owned FLACs.
Uhhh, I think you need more sources!! :eek::p

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Yeah man I feel you on that....it was the same for me with the 3808 as I have a plethora of sources as well...and the Audyssey XT is a must have as well...And Amazon is nuts with that Prime $4 overnight shipping....I wonder how much they have to eat one that!!!:eek: Not as if they don't make enough money....

Sounds like you will have everything ready to crank for Christmas and the New Year....awesome!!!! :D

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
What are the additional audio decoding options? It does have Dynamic EQ/Vol... but decoding is just decoding, right?
I was thinking it had one more HD decoding option but I could be wrong. I must have them all. :D

Uhhh, I think you need more sources!! :eek::p
I'd be happy if we could get AM or FM out here in the boonies. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis