Your Thought Are Needed

A

arftech

Junior Audioholic
Your Thoughts Are Needed

Assuming all else is equal as it relates to the Denon AVR-4306 and Yamaha RX-V4600 receivers which sounds more musical to your ears? By the way, I'm in the process of upgrading to either unit. Your initial thoughts are needed to help me make the correct buying decision.

For me sonics or the way it sounds is of the utmost importance.

I'm curently using B&W fronts, surrounds, center channel with a Velodyne sub.

My universal player is the Denon 3910.

Peace!

Al

Last edited:
N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I would suggest buying both and testing them out at home, just like speakers. Myself, I don't worry too much receivers since I think they are pretty far down the food chain in the optimizing SQ strategies.

Nick

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
arftech said:
Assuming all else is equal as it relates to the Denon AVR-4306 and Yamaha RX-V4600 receivers which sounds more musical to your ears? By the way, I'm in the process of upgrading to either unit. Your initial thoughts are needed to help me make the correct buying decision.

For me sonics or the way it sounds is of the utmost importance.

I'm curently using B&W fronts, surrounds, center channel with a Velodyne sub.

My universal player is the Denon 3910.

Peace!

Al

I would suggest worrying about your speakers, its placement, room acoustics and the software quality, not much else. Nick hit the nail. Most everything else is low on the food-chain, or should be.

A

arftech

Junior Audioholic
I agree somewhat with that argument but please admit there are sound differences among rec/amps.

Speakers are an important link in the chain but if the signal that needs to be amplified is not carried out correctly then it pretty much does not matter!

Some rec/amps come off sounding harsh and analytical with other artifacts. This is not what I'm looking for.

As an example I did a demo of two recievers...a Denon AVR-3806 and Yamaha RX-V2600 and to me the Denon sounded better. The Yamaha to me sounded just a wee bit too hard for my taste and the soundstage was not well defined. Perhaps the newer 2700 sounds different.

Of course this is my opinion and I do understand that all of this is subjective.

What I'm looking for is a certain sweetness that may border on warm with the ability to accurately present a decent soundstage. However, your speakers must have the capability to faithfuly reproduce this effect.

So the question remains...how does your 2700 and 4306 sound? If you could describe how would you?

Peace!

Al

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
Your thought are needed? Hhmmm? no. Your thought is or your thoughts are.

Now then, as far as sound quality is concerned I would suggest the Denon but not by very much. I like the depth/warmth of the Denon just a bit more than the Yamaha. I have not heard these particular models however, I would expect them not to be too much different than earlier Denon/Yamaha recvr's concerning sq. Both are great for movies but it is music that I use as a determining factor. No offense on the grammar correction. I'm a teacher and it's like second nature. Good luck. Btw...which B&W's?

A

arftech

Junior Audioholic
mnnc said:
Your thought are needed? Hhmmm? no. Your thought is or your thoughts are.

Now then, as far as sound quality is concerned I would suggest the Denon but not by very much. I like the depth/warmth of the Denon just a bit more than the Yamaha. I have not heard these particular models however, I would expect them not to be too much different than earlier Denon/Yamaha recvr's concerning sq. Both are great for movies but it is music that I use as a determining factor. No offense on the grammar correction. I'm a teacher and it's like second nature. Good luck. Btw...which B&W's?
No offense taken. I have an original pair of DM7 MKII's. To this very day they still sound exceptional! My rears and center channel are also driven by B&W as noted in the original post.

Al

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
arftech said:
I agree somewhat with that argument but please admit there are sound differences among rec/amps.
arftech said:
Easy to design one to alter sound, yes. Or, when one is driven beyond its design limits. Other than that, well designed amps, withing their design limits are transparent.

Speakers are an important link in the chain but if the signal that needs to be amplified is not carried out correctly then it pretty much does not matter!

Lots of ifs, no?

Some rec/amps come off sounding harsh and analytical with other artifacts.

Like which ones? Certainly not well designed, modern ones.

As an example I did a demo of two recievers...a Denon AVR-3806 and Yamaha RX-V2600 and to me the Denon sounded better.

Well, that is a very subjective analysis, isn't it? Better. I bet, it wasn't a level matched comparison, let alone a DBT protocol?

Of course this is my opinion and I do understand that all of this is subjective.

Yes, and most certainly. Oh, it was most likely biased as well, no?

What I'm looking for is a certain sweetness that may border on warm with the ability to accurately present a decent soundstage.

You are looking for this in the wrong component.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
arftech said:
All the receivers mentioned will amplify the sound "correctly"

arftech said:
What I'm looking for is a certain sweetness that may border on warm with the ability to accurately present a decent soundstage. Peace!
Al
Trying to tune your system sound by receiver choice is a fools mission at worst and just plain ineffective at best. but you seem to have your heels dug in on this topic and it's your money to spend wisely or not.

Nick

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Which of these receivers has the most headroom?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis