Your Source Effect on Sound is Huge! Look at this LFE chart. Oppo VS Cheap Panasonic

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Maybe I am on to something here and it concerns me a bit since 95% of my movies I play are via my WD Live Media Player.

Maybe it's in my head but when I compare an awesome LFE movie "Flight of the Phoenix" by playing it on my Samsung blu ray player versus WD Live player (40gb MKV file), I think I notice a difference where original Blue Ray is doing better. More clarity, bigger LFE, etc

Anyway, here are some charts posted on another forum where they take a movie "Interstellar" and compare OPPO 105 vs Cheap Panasonic blu ray player.

I didn't know source makes such a huge difference.

thoughts?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I didn't know source makes such a huge difference.

thoughts?
As it related to BD players, it generally doesn't make much difference. However, this is a somewhat special case as the BDP-105 can be used as a pre/pro in addition to being a source component. Apparently when used as a pre/pro, it has an issue with bass management / summing the signal and clips the sub output.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
As it related to BD players, it generally doesn't make much difference. However, this is a somewhat special case as the BDP-105 can be used as a pre/pro in addition to being a source component. Apparently when used as a pre/pro, it has an issue with bass management / summing the signal and clips the sub output.

but then how would this make sense if someone buys a over $1000 OPPO 105 and does not take advantage of it's DAC? But then if you do ... you see what happens in the charts. Am I understanding this right?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
but then how would this make sense if someone buys a over $1000 OPPO 105 and does not take advantage of it's DAC? But then if you do ... you see what happens in the charts. Am I understanding this right?
You can still use the DACs, you just can't use the built in bass management; IOW, you could still have the equivalent of a high end CD/SACD player as well as a Blu-ray player in one box.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I do notice the Oppo sounds different in the LFE department, but for music, it seems to be an advantage actually because it has a clean sound to it, and bass hasn't been disappointing with the Oppo at all. For movies though, I nearly always watch using the calibrated settings on my pre/pro. Regardless of the bass management issue, music still sounds better via analog from the 105.

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
Might the Oppo have some sort of DRC activated..?

Would that cause a "limiting" in the signal...

Don't mind me... just throwin' it out there...

A

Archimago

Enthusiast
Is there a link to where that image came from? What was the test setup other than Oppo vs. Panny? Something smells fishy!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis