Your help in replacing my AV receiver

P

Platonic

Enthusiast
I currently have a Panasonic SAHE200K receiver which is supposed to be 130 W/Ch into a 6 Ohm load. I have a Pioneer DVD player (the Elite DV-45 model) and a Definitive Technology Speaker System (bipolars in the front and rear) in a 5.1 configuration. I was thinking about getting a Pioneer VSX-1015TX receiver (I primarily watch DVDs) which is supposed to be 110 to 120 W/Ch. into an 8 ohm load. Would I be moving up to get the Pioneer from my Panasonic or staying the same (more or less)?

Larry Southerland
larrysoutherland@bellsouth.net

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I went to Pioneer's website and checked the owners manual for the 1015TX. It develops 150 w/ch when running at 6 ohms. Also, just to clear it up, it does list 120 w/ch into 8 ohm loads.

I would have to say it's probably a move up. You are getting 3 hd compatible component video inputs. THX certified processing(though this may not be important to you, but their testing is very rigorous). It seems to be a very capable receiver

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Platonic said:
I currently have a Panasonic SAHE200K receiver which is supposed to be 130 W/Ch into a 6 Ohm load. I have a Pioneer DVD player (the Elite DV-45 model) and a Definitive Technology Speaker System (bipolars in the front and rear) in a 5.1 configuration. I was thinking about getting a Pioneer VSX-1015TX receiver (I primarily watch DVDs) which is supposed to be 110 to 120 W/Ch. into an 8 ohm load. Would I be moving up to get the Pioneer from my Panasonic or staying the same (more or less)?

Larry Southerland
larrysoutherland@bellsouth.net
Moving up by leaps and bounds. No comparison. The Panasonic is an entry level receiver, while the Pioneer 1015 is their flagship unit before getting into their Elite line. Best Buy sells a similar unit, the 9100 along with the 1015. There is a 9300 unit that is even better, but runs a few hundred more. I think I've seen it for under $500 on an earlier post in this section. Jump on that one if your budget permits.

P

Platonic

Enthusiast
Follow-up question on Panasonic to Pioneer

The Pioneer website is virtually useless. What is the differences between the following units:

(1) Pioneer VSX-1015TX
(2) Pioneer VSX-9100TX
(3) Pioneer VSX-9300TX?

There is a difference in price, but what do I gain or lose by choosing 1, 2 or 3? Are 2 and 3 current year production models? If so, why aren't they on the Pioneer website?

Thanks in advance

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
The 9300 is a step up from the other two. The trick is this as far as I'm concerned: Is the 9100 a step up or sideways from the 1015? Depending on what you read the 9100 is heavier or the same weight. Has two processor chips or one. The 9100 and 9300 have 2 yr warranties or they have 1 yr. warranties (the 1015 has a 1 yr. warranty for sure). This much is certain however the 1015 has THX select II, the others have THX select. The 1015 has skewed power ratings, the others don't. The 1015 has more component ins that the 9100. The 9100 has Airtuning. Hope you're as confused as me now.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Q

Platonic said:
The Pioneer website is virtually useless. What is the differences between the following units:

(1) Pioneer VSX-1015TX
(2) Pioneer VSX-9100TX
(3) Pioneer VSX-9300TX?

There is a difference in price, but what do I gain or lose by choosing 1, 2 or 3? Are 2 and 3 current year production models? If so, why aren't they on the Pioneer website?

Thanks in advance
All 3 came out this year. The only things the 1015 has over the 9100 and 9300 THX Select2 vs. THX Select1 and 3 component video inputs vs. 2 on the 9100 and 9300. All THX Select2 gets you is THX Games mode. Now, here's what the 1015 lacks in regards to the 9100:

1. Reinforced chassis
2. Multi room/multi source capability
3. Audio sync delay
4. THX Select and AIR Studios monitor tuning(Just google AIR Studios!)
5. 12 volt trigger
6. Advanced MCACC with 5 band EQ(the 1015 makes do with the plain jane non-room acoustics equalizing calibration)
7. Hi-bit audio scaling
8. Dual Motorola 48 bit DSP engine
9. On screen display

Here's what the 9300 adds over both the 1015 and 9100:

1. RS-232C serial output for displaying advanced MCACC results on a PC
2. Advanced MCACC with 7 point EQ timing and room correction(the 1015 only had the plain jane non-room acoustics equalizing calibration)
3. 2 x 27000 microfarad capacitors
4. 12 advanced surround modes(i.e. rock, jazz, chamber etc. the 1015 and 9100 only get 8)
5. TAOC insulators(I don't know what that is)
6. Transformer stabilizer
7. And the best part of all, the 2 line lcd fully illuminated learning remote! It's almost 9½" long and 2½" wide. 66 buttons and 4 AA's baby! I've got mine controlling my Samsung TV, Govideo DVD/VCR, HD cable box and of course the receiver. It's got a "system off" button specifically for turning all your components off at once and it's fast. Less than 1 second and it's done...it takes the Cable box's universal remote about 2½ seconds to do the same thing. You can also program a macro with up to 5 commands for example, you could have it turn on the TV and dvd player(it will automatically turn on the receiver so that's a freebie), switch TV to correct input if you are not taking advantage of the receivers video unconversion, and then switch the receiver to dvd mode for audio.

The last bit of info. The 9300 has a detachable power cord. The only Elite besides the 59TXi that does that is the 56TXi, which leads me to believe that they share similiar if not identical power supplies transformers and amplifier sections. Also, the 1015 weighs 34 lbs, the 9100 weighs 39.7 lbs and the 9300 weighs 44.8 lbs(same weight as the Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi!!!).

Hope that helps. ;)

Last edited:
P

Platonic

Enthusiast
Skewed Power Ratings?

What do you mean that the VSX-1015 has "skewed power ratings?" Do you mean that they are overstating the real-world power ratings?

P

Platonic

Enthusiast
I just got "moved up" in pricing

Now that I've become convinced that the VSX-9300 is a better receiver than the VSX-1015, what are the differences between the VSX-9300 and my "dream receiver," the Deneon AVR-3805? "In for a penny, in for a pound," as the proverb goes. :)

P

Platonic

Enthusiast
VSX-9300TX has been discontinued

I contacted three different dealers on the net and all of them said that the Pioneer VSX-9300TX has been disontinued, which may make the point of getting the 9300 moot.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Platonic said:
What do you mean that the VSX-1015 has "skewed power ratings?" Do you mean that they are overstating the real-world power ratings?
Not exactly. They state the watts/channel at 2 different levels of distortion. I believe they state something like 100 or 110 watts at .09% THD and then they state 120 watts at .2% THD. Just clever marketing so when it's up on the shelf with other receivers they can say "this model has 770 watts/channel, but the 1015 has 840 watts/channel(albeit at a higher distortion level).

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Platonic said:
I contacted three different dealers on the net and all of them said that the Pioneer VSX-9300TX has been disontinued, which may make the point of getting the 9300 moot.
Try www.vanns.com or http://www.bestbuy.com
Vanns has it about $100 cheaper though and for an extra $50 you have the option of purchasing the JBL Northridge E150P powered subwoofer(it sells for $399 at bestbuy.com!). If you don't need it you can ebay it for a couple hundred bucks and make some of your money back. Vanns also offers free shipping and no tax(unless you live in Montana). I chose to purchase from Best Buy online because I like the peace of mind of their 4 year warranty, plus I can return it to a local Best Buy if I'm not satisfied(but you take a hit on shipping and tax if there is a brick and mortar Best Buy in your state).

Beside, I only got mine this month. I ordered it July 2nd and with the cheapest ground shipping I still received it July 8th. Especially considering that monday July 4th was a holiday I think that was pretty impressive since it shipped from Ohio.

P

Platonic

Enthusiast
Thanks and a few more questions

I ordered the TX-1015TX last Sunday before I received your message. I just couldn't justify the $300-$350 difference (given my audio budget right now). Although the TX-1015TX sounds wonderful, I do wish that I'd received your message before I ordered it; it might have changed my mind such that I'd have purchased the 9300 instead. While I'm at it: assuming that one has a set of inexpensive surround speakers (monopoles) and a set of expensive surround speakers (bipoles), should the monopoles be the back rear or the surrounds or vice versa of does it even matter which set goes where? In addition, if I don't use the 7.1 setup (and stick with 5.1) and bi-amp instead, would I tell a real difference if I bi-amped my front Definitive Technologies 2002s? In addition, although Pioneer tells me that this is the case, I'd like some independent confirmation that the Pioneer TX-1015TX runs each channel at 120 W/Channel when in 5.1 or 7.1 modes.

Thanks for your help and answers in advance.

Larry

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
it doesnt run each channel at 120 watts, probably closer to 50 0r 60 which is plenty, I listen to my movies extremely loud and anything over -15 on the dial shakes the entire house and my neighbors complain, and we dont live right next to them, we live on a 3/4 acre lot, so its got plenty of juice and this is all with 88db speakers very inefficeint compared to other speakers

P

Platonic

Enthusiast
Another related question....

I purchased the 1015 (the price difference to the 9300 was a little steep for my current budget). Now I'm looking for rear surround speakers for 7.1 mode. I need small, light, inexpensive, high wattage, "hangable" speakers (you know the kind -- holes in the back from which the speakers can be hung on screws, etc.) I have listened to the Sony SS-MB150Hs (which sound ok for rear surround speakers, but a little big, heavy and no holes. How about the Rocket OD100s for this purpose? Any other suggestions? Or would I get more "bang for the buck" by bi-amping my Deftech BP2002s?

Here's my current setup:

Deftech BP2002s (Front main)
Deftech C/L/R (center)
Deftech BP2X (rear surrounds in 5.1 mode)

I've set the Pioneer 1015 to 6 ohm mode (as Deftech recommended) and it is a relatively small room (about the size of a speaker demo ("sound") room at a Circuit City Store, if that helps).

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
While I'm at it: assuming that one has a set of inexpensive surround speakers (monopoles) and a set of expensive surround speakers (bipoles), should the monopoles be the back rear or the surrounds or vice versa of does it even matter which set goes where?
Put the better speakers on the sides, and the less expensive speakers in the rear.
In addition, if I don't use the 7.1 setup (and stick with 5.1) and bi-amp instead, would I tell a real difference if I bi-amped my front Definitive Technologies 2002s? In addition, although Pioneer tells me that this is the case, I'd like some independent confirmation that the Pioneer TX-1015TX runs each channel at 120 W/Channel when in 5.1 or 7.1 modes.
There would be some difference, but not as much as you think. There is only one power supply, and one transformer in your 1015. Not utilizing the back two channels leaves power reserves for the others. Your Pioneer, when in 5 channel mode, probably runs each channel at a maximum of 60 watts before audible thd is heard. My Denon 3805 runs at a maximum 77 watts into 5 channels. Both our units should be able to run at 120 watts into two channels, though.

You've bought a great unit, at a great price. Enjoy.

J

James Elvick

Enthusiast
I would switch the 1015tx back to 8ohm mode. The 6ohm mode just reduces power to the voltage rails to keep it within UL limits, but also effectively reduce the power it produces. Just check it for heat, it should be fine.

James

P

Platonic

Enthusiast
Stupid questions

I always thought that the wattage would go up when the impedence was reduced, which is why they rate some receivers as 100 W/Ch into 8 ohm load and 130 into a 6 ohm load. Shouldn't therefore my wattage go up if I switched to 6 ohm mode?

The rear surrounds that I purchased were some Sony SS-SR301s which I found on ebay. Cool looking bipolar designs (16 ohm) and handle 120 watts/Channel peak. Only $60.50 with S/H.

P

Platonic

Enthusiast
Another quick question for Pioneer owners (Receiver/DVD)

I own a Pioneer VSX-1015 receiver and a Pioneer DV-45A DVD player. Unfortunately, even thought the DV-45A is an elite model, it did not come with a Pioneer control cable to plug into the receiver (for remote control). (Tech support at Pioneer apparantly didn't even know about the cable's existence when I called them.) I can purchase a cable from Pioneer for about $13.00, but does the remote control cable give me any capabilities that I don't already have with the remote that comes with my receiver? Also, does Pioneer's tape decks come with a remote control cable, allowing me to rewind, etc. the tape deck from the remote control?

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Platonic said:
I always thought that the wattage would go up when the impedence was reduced, which is why they rate some receivers as 100 W/Ch into 8 ohm load and 130 into a 6 ohm load. Shouldn't therefore my wattage go up if I switched to 6 ohm mode?

The rear surrounds that I purchased were some Sony SS-SR301s which I found on ebay. Cool looking bipolar designs (16 ohm) and handle 120 watts/Channel peak. Only $60.50 with S/H.

The wattage will go up, but not because you switched that switch. All that switch does it reduce power to the transformer limiting the current so the unit doesn't overheat. If you receiver is well ventilated leave the speaker setting at greater than 8ohms. Just check it a few time at first to see that it is not getting any hotter than before.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Platonic said:
I own a Pioneer VSX-1015 receiver and a Pioneer DV-45A DVD player. Unfortunately, even thought the DV-45A is an elite model, it did not come with a Pioneer control cable to plug into the receiver (for remote control). (Tech support at Pioneer apparantly didn't even know about the cable's existence when I called them.) I can purchase a cable from Pioneer for about $13.00, but does the remote control cable give me any capabilities that I don't already have with the remote that comes with my receiver? Also, does Pioneer's tape decks come with a remote control cable, allowing me to rewind, etc. the tape deck from the remote control?
For the cable, all you need is a double ended mini-mono headphone jack cable just long enough to go from component to component. Now here's the neat part. Whichever component is first in line using it's "system remote" out jack is the only component you ever need to point the remote at. For example. If you had your dvd player up top, cassette player in the middle and the receiver at the bottom of your audio rack. Connect the system out from the dvd player to the system in on the cassette player and connect the system out from the cassette player to the system in on the receiver. Whichever of the three components you want ot control, point the remote only at the dvd player.
And yes, my dad has a Pioneer dual-well cassette player and had it hooked up to his old Pioneer Pro-logic receiver along with an old Pioneer 6 disc magazine cd changer and we could control both the cd player and cassette player with the receiver remote. The benefit is that you may never have to touch your dvd players remote again! Plus, you get remote functionality of the cassette player because it has full-logic controls. It really does work quite well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis