Your choice of Receiver or Seperates about $1K

E

Eric Apple

Junior Audioholic
Geeze here are a lot of options out there and really don't know where to start other then to ask you who might have an idea of a good place.

I am looking for a new receiver or pre/amp combination for around $1k. The main use will be HT with whole house audio a close second. The whole house audio is currently running 2 receivers using the same signal sources as the main system that is used for HT and is all controlled an WH IR repeater. This is decent for our use and it doesn't need improvement over elimination of the stack of receivers. Two amps are used for WH since there is a total of 5 sterio speaker pairs and we want to control upstairs and downstairs seperatly by remote. PS Harmony is great and makes this really easy to control all by remote.

So that's 3 receivers, and I'd like to get one to do it all. Video switching isn't a big deal because all video goes out via multi channel modulators except for the HT which uses DVI to a front projection unit hooked to a LST-3510A which doesn't need switched.

I talked with the engineers at av123 about the Emotiva UL 7 channel amp, with the UL Pre amp adding two more channels. I could use 5 of the seven channels for 5.1 on HT, then use the other two with a Y patch cable from the pre amp 2nd zone to power down stairs, and the pre amp internal 50w channels to power upstairs. You could probably switch the internal amp speaker output off/on via remote while keeping the line out active. I say probably because the unit is only nearing beta and they couldn't say for sure if this stayed. This rings out around $1k. But, it's not out yet and I am a little unsure about such a small company. If they go away, who would fix this thing ?

So I am looking into other options. But, reviews for 2 zone use don't really seem to exist.

I have heard HK second zone is hard to control automatically by remote because you have to access some menus. Is this correct ?

How about the Pioneer Elites, are these recommended for 2 zone use.

What Denon or NAD reciever might be a good fit ?

Onkyo (except for the NK1000 flagship) seems to be sort of high end entry level and I'd like to maybe take a step up to entry level audiophile. Think any of there others I mentioned fit that category ?

I don't think I can get rid of all 3 existing receivers with anything other then the emotiva. Any thoughts there ?

Forgetting zone 2 use for a moment, what's a top choice for HT & sterio use ? I currently use an older pioneer for the HT amp and it sounds pretty decent execpt there is no "tone" adjustments active for HT which is kind of crummy. Are the 5 band EQs out there now being used to good effect or do most people just turn 'em off ?

Thanks for reading

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
look at the denon 3805. you could probably get one for under 700.00 at ubid. or loo

k at marantz 8400 too should be around 500. to 550 on ubid too. they are being cleared out. also harman kardon is on ebay and they have a refub site at www.harmanaudio.com and denon sells at www.dakmart.com refurbs too. marantz can be found at www.accessories4less.com and www.compusa.com occassionally has marantz since tweeters owns them too.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I've seen the Denon 3805 for $700 on ubid. It isn't up right now, but they've had it in the past. I think that would be a good option. Keep in mind that like the Yamaha RX-V2500, you either get 7.1 in your main HT or 5.1 and 2 powered zone 2 speakers.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Denon 3805 fits the bill

The 3805 is 3 zone/input capable. If you run a 5.1 HT you can reassign the unused rear-channel amps to power Zone 2. However, you still need a separate 2 channel amp to power Zone 3. Crutchfield has discounted the 3805 to $999.99 :D if you prefer to buy new from an authorized dealer.

The unit is also a great all around unit. Check out the consumer reviews.

The Onkyo M-282 may be suitable for the 2 channel amp and goes fo $299.99.

Just a quick reco on the fly.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Amp recos

Just checked J&R (jr.com), they have the Onkyo for under $250. They also have an Audio Source Amp 200 that would fit the bill nicely for $270.

Many more out there but don't know how much more is in the piggy bank.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
some of those recommendations are way less or more than your 1k bidget..

but for a straight receiver/preamp, id get either the 3805, or the hk 7300 flagship receiver from harman audio.

kay

kay

Audioholic
jetyi83 said:
but for a straight receiver/preamp, id get either the 3805, or the hk 7300 flagship receiver from harman audio.
Ditto. I like the Marantz offerings too.

Alternatively, get a lesser receiver (one model below the ones mentioned) and a two-channel power amp to power your fronts.

E

Eric Apple

Junior Audioholic
Questions

Thanks for the replies - couple of questions if you don't mind

The 3805 does look like a nice fit with 3 zones. Are there discrete IR commands for controlling volume/power/source for each zone ? Or does it do something like zone 3 always tracks zone 2 which is independent of zone 1 ?

Does anyone know if there are "trigger" outputs on the 3805 to switch on FP & lower screens & turn on external amps ?

Does anyone recommend a Pioneer Elite model for use ?

Also, are the 5 band EQs like the Pioneers have out there now being used to good effect or do most people just turn 'em off ?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Eric,

Lots of questions. Here's the pdf manual. Pgs 30-31 refers to the 8 band graphic eq. I use it all the time on my 3805. It's a Godsend. Pgs 69-71 refer to the Multi-Zone. Pg 98 deals with the option setup - trigger out 1 and trigger out 2. Hopefully your computer will download the pdf. It takes about 30 seconds with a cable modem.
www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR3805 DFU.pdf

Are there discrete IR commands for controlling volume/power/source for each zone ? Or does it do something like zone 3 always tracks zone 2 which is independent of zone 1 ?

Does anyone know if there are "trigger" outputs on the 3805 to switch on FP & lower screens & turn on external amps ?
Does anyone recommend a Pioneer Elite model for use ?
Absolutely. Especially the new 7 series models. Very nice for the price points, but still much higher than the 3805.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
AV123, is offering their Emotive Light seperates for a package deal of around $1K. Their products generally represent incredible values, so I would at least consider it.

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
eric i just got a denon 3805 today from ubid paid 651.00 plus 39.00 shipping

they had a ubuy one last week for 699.00 and it did not sell out so any day they should have them back witha bid price. you should be able to get one for less than 700.00 watch for it. then you will be the apple of your wifes eye, hehehe.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis