Your Audio blunders ???

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’ll post mine, I don’t think this is fixable without reconing and that’s not worth it .

I call him Santa ...
Someone said on a forum which I no longer use to use Elmer’s glue and paper or plastic for a surround ......
I was tricked !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Glorified magnet now is all it is ....
Don’t take bad advice!!!

This thread is supposed to be humor so add some .

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I’ll post mine, I don’t think this is fixable without reconing and that’s not worth it .

I call him Santa ...
Someone said on a forum which I no longer use to use Elmer’s glue and paper or plastic for a surround ......
I was tricked !!!

Now you are not just showing is your old laundry, but very nasty dirty laundry!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Omg. An actual relevant thread with an original title. Okay, I'll bite.

My first foray into home audio I bought a Yamaha receiver that was "Dolby Ready", thinking I was somewhat future proofing. That's when I found out that "Dolby Ready" meant that it had 5.1 inputs but didn't actually do any decoding itself. I had to find a DVD player that with 5.1 rca outputs if I wanted Dolby surround. Of course that's when I got talked into buying all monster cables for ~$400 because I didn't know any better.

I spent too much for my speakers too. I let my buddy talk me into buying a pair of B&W DM 570s, used for $400 just because "B&W". I never actually really liked those speakers but lived with them for 20 years because I had B&W speakers and by golly it don't get much better than that! Then (15-18 years later) I got a pair of DefTech Promonitor 1000s for surround speakers and they freaking blew the DMs out of the water in the upper range, midrange and did almost as well in bass! That's when I got my SM55s and sold the DMs.

My whole first system was pretty much a blunder, but it did last me 20 years! lol

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I’m pretty fortunate. I think I’ve only had a couple of blunders.

One was buying a laser disc player. I waited until our local video store started renting discs before I shelled out for one. To my irritation, they quit renting discs several months after I got the player. Luckily LD’s were still enough of a “thing” that I was able to sell it and get some of my money back.

The next was dropping a couple grand on a top-of-the-line Yamaha receiver with DPL, only to have DD introduced 2-3 years later, which required another upgrade. Boy, that was irritating, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
First system purchase back in the 70s - 25 wpc Nikko receiver, Pioneer Centrex 8 track player, Hitachi cassette deck, small Marantz speakers, and a Technics DD turntable. All replaced within a year (except the TT) to stuff I should have bought in the first place. Oh well live and learn.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis