your assistance on replacing a dinosaur avr

O

ou7br3ak

Audiophyte
Hi there I’m currently shopping for an upgrade to my 7 years old dinosaur receiver pioneer vsx-d912

I would appreciate your guru input/education, on my next soon to be purchase.
My restriction is pretty much budget, willing to put up 1000$ max and looking for sort of a full proof avr for the next 5+ years “like that’s going to happened thanks to display port and red-ray”

I would like it to be thx ultra-specs capable without the cert and to be hdmi 1.4a 1080p+ ready and all in between.
An awesome EQ, pack with a universal remote to die for with high end sound/vid performance is crucial and to exceed my current setup below.

Need approx. 5hdmi inputs 1 0r 2 outputs ports 7.1 channel or +

Background on usage ps3 slim, xbox360, xbmc, pc/nvidia gfx, dish net pvr, cam with a lot of vid/music streaming avi/mkv format.
I’m pretty much open for brand wise currently comparing the VSX-1120-K with AVR-4310CI and seem to require something in between or :confused:?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction your input is much appreciated

My current setup

Room about 20ft by 20ft

Sharp aquos lc 46d64u
soon to be upgrade by a quatron or 3d more likely just another newer 240hz 65” still debating that one

Polk audio
Front speakers soon to move out or go onto surround back
polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/recent/r50

Sinclair audio

Sub-woofer
sinclairaudio.com/ls210.html

Surround sound
sinclairaudio.com/b3d.html

Center
sinclairaudio.com/bc25.html

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
You're about 6 months early for HDMI 1.4 to become wide spread in any but the entry level products. But never fear pretty much everybody will have protuct refreshes in time for the Christmas shopping season. For what it's worth I own that receiver (retired to the garage) and even the soon to be released entry-level Onkyo TX-SR608 will easily outperform it. Don't let the power specs fool you, in the real world it's a step up. Expect them to sell for $400-500US in the States. I have no clue what Canada prices are like. By fall Onkyo and others should refresh their mid-priced lines like Onkyo's TX-SR70x or TX-NR80x ($500-800US). That's where I'd aim if money allows.

Last edited:
O

ou7br3ak

Audiophyte
I guess any amp will pretty much outperform my current one sadly to say.
The amp is pretty much the last component to be updated i really don't mind investing in a good mid to high end amp that will be able to carry over for the next 5+ years. Since my purchase was set for end of June, guess the best bet is to wait a few more months for all the refresh like you mention.

How are the onkyo? I was tending to go with a denon the purchase will be made online so i wonth be able to hear the amp beside digging forums for reviews my main concern is my sub the magnet is overheating and i'm looking for an amp that will be more then enough raw power for it.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I kept my VSX-912 for years. First as a living room receiver and then as a bedroom receiver. I replaced it in the living room with a VSX-1014 and as far as I'm concerned the 1014 was a big step down. I'm now using an old Onkyo TX-SR606 in my master bedroom and it really is a step up, and a TX-NR906 in the main room. Onkyo seems to be the king of power and features bang for the buck so I'd be looking at the upcoming (but not yet announced) TX-SR708, TX-NR808, or TX-NR1008. Just keep in mind that Onkyo packs a lot of power supply in a little box and they run very warm. If you don't have room in the rack to give it some breathing clearance then a Denon might be a better choice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis