You guys are no help!

RaT

RaT

Junior Audioholic
I came here thinking about getting a new subwoofer to replace my broken old Velodyne ULD12. I contacted Velodyne about just getting a new woofer but they have none. Instead they offer a very nice price on a DD12 blemish sub for old owners. Problem is, I need a bigger then DD12 sub to handle my room according to the Velodyne sizing selector. Not possible to get a larger (DD15 or DD18) at a discount for my ULD12. So.... I'm thinking about maybe forgoing the Velodyne deal. Problem is, you guys have so many great opinions about subs from the likes of SVS and Hsu that I am overwhelmed. So actually, contrary to my catchy title, "You guys are no help!", your actually offering so much advice that it gets overwhelming quickly. Thanks,... I think:eek:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Just sale your car and get a DD-18, Servo 15, SVS 13.5 and the HSU with a turbo.

majorloser

majorloser

Or sell the house and get the Velodyne 1812 :D

Hey, it's only money.

(Quality help you just can't find anywhere else)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
So did you hve a budget in mind.. and what size room are you running here..?

How else can we not help you here...?

RaT

RaT

Junior Audioholic
So did you hve a budget in mind.. and what size room are you running here..?

How else can we not help you here...?
Well, I suppose about $1100 since that is what the DD12 will cost me with my trade in. My room if you count just the room is about 4300 cu ft but it does open to our kitchen, which opens to the living room which opens to the hall, to the bedrooms, to the closets, to the...... If I add the kitchen, I'm up at 8000cu ft. I'm just trying to pretend the sound won't go to the kitchen and will stay where the couch is. Much like smoke from cigarettes stays in the smoking section. Thanks for not helping................not.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
1100 bucks is a good budget for subwoofers ... it starts to get killer from there. looks like you will have to do some researching and listening then.

I'm still leaning towards the DD12. if the ULD12 did it for you, I think the DD will too.

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
Use the factory outlet at axiomaudio.com and get the EP500. Looks, size, quality and axiom's customer service.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Or you could step up to the next level and get the PB12-Plus/2, they have a gloss black in b-stock at svs... for 1149.00 a touch over your budget..

Im not sure whether it would measure up to the clarity and accuracy of the DD, but it will for sure fill that space with ease..

But hey.... Im a fanboy on the plus/2.... as everyone shakes their head at Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
If I were spending a grand on a new sub my choice would be the Hsu VTF 3Ho with the turbo. It is stll high on Offical Craigsub ranking list .
You can play that craigslist card all you want here... but the fact of the matter is he is in an 8000cuft room, and any single 12 will get swallowed up in that room. Bang for the buck would go to the Plus/2 or wait until the new SVS13 comes out... Please don't get me wrong here... The HSU is not a sub to shake a stick at here... but you would need 2 of those to do the job... and 2 of those would be amazing no question... but thats 2 times as much, where for just a small step up in price you come up with a +/2...

Like I said... Bang for your buck.. Email both or any company, they will tell you, best results with 2 - 12"

Warp

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
So the question is, can you buy a better sub than the DD12 for $1,080?

I guess it depends on what you call better. If you're looking for pure SPL and nothing more, I'd say absolutely(although the DD12 will outperform most 12's on the market in SPL). But if your'e looking for SPL with accuracy and detail, I'd say it'd be hard to do better at $1,080, considering the DD series are among the highest quality on the market(but maybe I'm bias;) )

Remember Velodyne's giving you almost $2,000 for a rotten ULD12.

The other question is, were you happy with the performance of the ULD12? If so, then you should be more than happy with the DD12. If not, you've got a $3,000 sub to trade(that you only paid $1,080 for:D )

cheers:)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I say get the DD12 for whatever they are selling it to you for. Sell it as brand new in box for more than you paid for it, and get in on the preorder for the new SVS Ultra 13, that way you should break even, or possibly make a little money, and end up with a sub that will really wow you, and most likely be a much better fit for your room size. I'm sure you will have no trouble selling that DD12 at half it's retail cost.

Wid

Wid

Audioholic
You can play that craigslist card all you want here... but the fact of the matter is he is in an 8000cuft room, and any single 12 will get swallowed up in that room. Bang for the buck would go to the Plus/2 or wait until the new SVS13 comes out... Please don't get me wrong here... The HSU is not a sub to shake a stick at here... but you would need 2 of those to do the job... and 2 of those would be amazing no question... but thats 2 times as much, where for just a small step up in price you come up with a +/2...

Like I said... Bang for your buck.. Email both or any company, they will tell you, best results with 2 - 12"

Warp
No need to get pissy about it, I was just trying to offer some help here. I have not heard either sub so I gave a link to someone who has. It's seems that in his OPINION there is a whole list of Hsu subs he likes better than the Plus/2.

I have no dog in this fight and couldn't care less on what sub someone else picks. I have no stake in either co.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
No need to get pissy about it, I was just trying to offer some help here. I have not heard either sub so I gave a link to someone who has. It's seems that in his OPINION there is a whole list of Hsu subs he likes better than the Plus/2.

I have no dog in this fight and couldn't care less on what sub someone else picks. I have no stake in either co.
sorry, didn't mean to come off that way...

Wasn't meant to sound like a snarl.... just a little yelp... ;)

RaT

RaT

Junior Audioholic
I say get the DD12 for whatever they are selling it to you for. Sell it as brand new in box for more than you paid for it, and get in on the preorder for the new SVS Ultra 13, that way you should break even, or possibly make a little money, and end up with a sub that will really wow you, and most likely be a much better fit for your room size. I'm sure you will have no trouble selling that DD12 at half it's retail cost.
OK, thats what I am going to do, get the DD-12, try it, save the packaging and just see how it goes. Thanks, you guys were of great help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis