You gotta look on the bright side!!

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Had my pc monitor break, replaced it and 6 hours later my tv broke :(

For my brightside.... The new monitor has HDMI in!!

So I am looking at either a Samsung LED or a Panasonic Plasma. Both 60". "Smart" isn't a requirement as my pc is attached but most displays have it anyway. 3D isn't required either, I am not sure that I would ever use it at home (I find glasses annoying and assume my toddlers would destroy them)
The TV room in in the basement with only the two small windows pictured above so light shouldn't be a problem. That being said my wife tends to have all lights on at full power all the time.....

Any suggestions?

P.S. CANADA!

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I prefer Panny's but if the lights are an issue the Samsung LED's look darn good. Not that the panny wouldn't look good, but depending on how your lights are the glare can be nasty. If the lighting is mostly lamps or overhead lighting that isn't shining directly at the screen you might be ok since I think mine looks fine in bright, indirect lighting.

On an aside, what speakers are those cabs for? Did I miss one I your builds?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
IMHO Panasonic makes one of if not the best TV's out there. My friend has an ST60 model and the smart TV implementation is pretty nice. Great price for their sets too. I'm going to grab a 65" set once I get the funds. It's plasma all the way for me and the mid rage Panny's are much better than the same level of samsung. When you get to the high end things are pretty much a coin flip. Both brands are great and have great support so you can't really make a bad decision between the two.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I prefer Panny's but if the lights are an issue the Samsung LED's look darn good. Not that the panny wouldn't look good, but depending on how your lights are the glare can be nasty. If the lighting is mostly lamps or overhead lighting that isn't shining directly at the screen you might be ok since I think mine looks fine in bright, indirect lighting.

On an aside, what speakers are those cabs for? Did I miss one I your builds?
Those are a Tritrix build, thought I would give em a go. A couple friends of mine are interested in upping their audio. One has a pair of BLOWN Paradigm bookshelves and the other is running a HTIB (decent yamaha avr). I thought that I would build these to see if they like em, if not I will use them for something :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Those are a Tritrix build, thought I would give em a go. A couple friends of mine are interested in upping their audio. One has a pair of BLOWN Paradigm bookshelves and the other is running a HTIB (decent yamaha avr). I thought that I would build these to see if they like em, if not I will use them for something :D
Awesome, sounds like a good plan :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Had my pc monitor break, replaced it and 6 hours later my tv broke :(

For my brightside.... The new monitor has HDMI in!!

So I am looking at either a Samsung LED or a Panasonic Plasma. Both 60". "Smart" isn't a requirement as my pc is attached but most displays have it anyway. 3D isn't required either, I am not sure that I would ever use it at home (I find glasses annoying and assume my toddlers would destroy them)
The TV room in in the basement with only the two small windows pictured above so light shouldn't be a problem. That being said my wife tends to have all lights on at full power all the time.....

Any suggestions?

P.S. CANADA!
Not to rain on your parade....but I just wanted to throw this out there.

Is there any reason to suspect that you might have "dirty power" at your house? How long have you lived there?

The worst thing that could happen is to replace it with new equipment and have the new stuff fail quickly too due to something with the power supplied to your house.

Just something to consider.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Not to rain on your parade....but I just wanted to throw this out there.

Is there any reason to suspect that you might have "dirty power" at your house? How long have you lived there?

The worst thing that could happen is to replace it with new equipment and have the new stuff fail quickly too due to something with the power supplied to your house.

Just something to consider.
I don't think the power here is bad. I have lived here for eight years and haven't had a problem so far. I thought about there being a power problem recently that caused it but the incidents were spaced out enough. I was watching the tv while fixing the computer. The tv failed after it cycled through different resolutions while connected to the tv.

Wouldnt the surge protectors save the devices anyway? If not why?

A friend is attempting to fix the TV, apparently one of the boards has failed. Te part is $30 so hopefully that fixes it. One of the verticle sections is dead. I think I will still go the new tv route :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis