Yikes - Yamaha Shutdown

V

vern

Enthusiast
I just bought a Yamaha HTR-5890 and was "showcasing" it for someone. Had it pretty loud and 1 minute into the DVD it just went off and the TV also shut down. I hit the power button again in 30 secs and it came back on but scared the hell out of me. Any guesses on reasons for this? I thought with that much power I could never max this thing out and my old Onkyo never did this.

Its driving a 5.1 system (so not even using the 7.1 capabilities) and is just hooked up to the plasma and a DVD player.

Thanks

V

vern

Enthusiast
B&W's. It was very loud but not more so than I had played the day before. Didn't see the level...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How about model #s? Room size? Is it calibrated? Sounds like you drew more current than that circuit has available if the TV shut off too. Do you have them on a plug strip or power conditioner that might have cut the power in an attempt to protect during undervoltage?

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
I had this happen to mine right after I got it. I was not listening to it for very long but it was very loud. It happened because where my receiver was located, it was not getting proper circulation. It was in a little tv stand deal w/ a glass door on the front. After that, I got a bigger rack and it was a little cramped with everything so I got one of the little dinky clip on fans and plugged it into one the accesory outlets on the receiver so now every time it kicks on, the fan come on low. Can hardly hear it and it draws next to nothing and has never overheated or even gotten hot to the touch.

Also, my TV went "blank" as well, because everything video runs through my receiver first and then switches through it to the monitor. Did yours just loose the video signal when the avr shut down or did it actually shut off the tv?

Brett

V

vern

Enthusiast
j_garcia: Not sure what room size would have to do with it but it is 15x15. The B&W's are the 602 and the centre is a B&W but don't know the #. It is plugged in to a dedicated power cord/surge protector. I calibrated it using the Yamaha mic and program built in to the receiver.

bmmcord: So you added the fan and never had the problem again even at the same vol levels? My rack is tight on the sides but open on the front/back and top so didn't think that would be a problem? Not sure if the TV actually went off but certainly the signal got cut off when the receiver shut down.

When the receiver was calibrated the tones seemed quite low so not sure I did it (or the receiver did it?) right. When I watch TV I have to turn it up high to around 0db to get good vol out of it and when I play DVD's it will easily be at around the same level.

thanks

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
yeah, that sounds like mine, I had only about 3" above the receiver when it shut down and now I still only have about 6" and thats why I added the fan. It went into thermal protection mode when it was at 0dB. However, now, I listen at 0 dB or more on a regular basis for movies and with a fan, no problems. My tv is the same way, I have a crappy cable box that has a lame audio signal so moderate volume levels ends up around -10 dB so I feel your pain. I think if you put a small fan back there, you will be fine.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
You guys watch DVD's at 0db? :eek: I'd be deaf in an hour. 30db seems normal, 20 db is very loud, 10 is earthshaking, 0 is run for your life loud.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
I dont have anything breakable on my shelves....anymore:D 0dB is only like 115 dB....:cool: However, for movies that are not ridden with bass, a more conservative -20 is more the norm... Top Gun....+2 dB ....good times, make the garage doors rattle....on the other side of the house...

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Few ideas..

Hey Vern;
I ran into a problem similar to yours some time ago. When I was initially wiring one of my systems, I used some small gauge wiring (18 or smaller) when I was checking to see where I'd be able to mount my surrounds. Well, I forgot to swap it out w/the good stuff after I'd set everything up and sure enough, whenever I got down to a certain level (can't remember what level due to severe case of CRS... ), the protection mode would kick in.

Took me a little bit to figure it out, but sure enough, it was the cheap test wire I ran to my surrounds. Once I swapped this out, I was good to go all the way down to +05 on my Denon AVR-3803 (reached receiver limit). If you think it might be related and you have some extra 16 gauge or lower speaker cable, may want cut some new runs to each speaker and test. While this may sound a little rudimentary, this is one of the easiest things to check and is often a cause for receivers kicking into the protection mode, assuming the receiver isn't problematic. If you don't have at least 14 AWG wire running to your surrounds, you may want to consider this. Sometimes there is far too little consideration in using decent, heavy gauge speaker wire. Once heavy wattage is pushed to all channels, the gauge can become a factor.

While your Onkyo may not have exhibited this behavior, did it push as much power to the speakers as well? If not, you may not be comparing apples to apples. Are you running a sub with this setup or is it just the 602s? If you're not and you're running the 602s as large, they may not have been able to handle the low end power surge during one of the dynamic passages which may have triggered the protection mode on the receiver.

With that receiver and those speakers properly wired and calibrated in that size room, you should be able to pump out reference level dB over a decent period well before it goes into protection mode. -TD

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
vern said:
j_garcia: Not sure what room size would have to do with it but it is 15x15. The B&W's are the 602 and the centre is a B&W but don't know the #. It is plugged in to a dedicated power cord/surge protector. I calibrated it using the Yamaha mic and program built in to the receiver.
Room size and sensitivity of the speakers can have a LOT to do with it. If you are using lower sensitivity speakers in a big room, you can draw a ton of power very quickly. That may not be the issue here, but it can't be ruled out as a potential factor either.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
bmccord said:
I dont have anything breakable on my shelves....anymore:D 0dB is only like 115 dB....:cool: However, for movies that are not ridden with bass, a more conservative -20 is more the norm... Top Gun....+2 dB ....good times, make the garage doors rattle....on the other side of the house...
Only 115db huh? :rolleyes:

115db will damage your ears in 15 minutes. Here's a little fun chart to play with.

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html#anchor_13193

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
mtrycrafts said:
Maybe he has it so loud as he cannot hear well anymore with that habit:D
Huh? What?
Rabbit? What rabbit? I don't have any more Rabbits?

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Ok, so I was jsut curious and broke out the radioshack meter. With movie watching, at 0 dB, It only spiked around 112-114...not a constant 115 like I thought. However, that is only at explosions, etc...other than that, upper 80's to mid 90's seems to be where it stays most the time.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver power outlets

Make sure that you don't have the TV or any A/V gear plugged into the 120V AC power outlets on the back of the receiver. These are rated for <1 amp of current.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
That is true. The fan I am using on its low setting draws about 1/5 amp and thats only when it first spins up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis