Yet another Receiver/Amp Question, thanks for helping!

E

effzelic

Audiophyte
So i am in the process of building some DIY speakers (the microbes) and DIY center and a DIY sub to match and i need to come up with a receiver/amp to power them. Here is what i am looking for:

1) Dont care to much about HDMI and video processing in the receiver, i will run video directly from my PS3, Oppo DVD player and cable box to the tv.
2) Out of my PS3 and Oppo and maybe cable box i will run audio cables into the receiver, i dont really need the receiver to do anything with video.
3) Sound quality is my big concern and i want to get the best bang for my buck ya know. I dont plan, atleast not with this HT,to do anything bigger than 5.1. Like i said right now i will have the fronts, center and sub only.

Basically i want a receiver that i can run my audio through. I dont really want to pay more for HDMI stuff b/c i dont see my self using it. I just want the best audio possible and the ability to hook atleast 2 optical feeds into the receiver. I have looked at the Yamaha 661 and it is a really nice receiver, but if i could find something for less that lacks the hdmi and some of the video processing but still keep the same quality of sound that would be great.

Or is there is something that i can just run audio through and drop the entire idea of any video processing i would be up for that option. Just want to make sure that it has the latest and greatest audio options, dont want to miss out on anything with the new PS3. Thanks for any help or advice.

ps - i am a HT newb for the most part. I know about speakers and sound and stuff like that, but when it comes to components like receivers and amps i kinda get lost.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If you buy any recent receiver of any brand chances are it will have HDMI because that is the trend and receiver manufacturers definitely have the 'me too' mindset.

It's no problem if you simply don't use a feature that is available. For example, I never use any decoders other than DD and PLII and it doesn't hurt that the receiver can do others and I simply don't use them.

If you want to save a few bucks just look at models a year or two old that lack HDMI connectivity but have the other features you need/want.

T

tlqualman

Audioholic Intern
You might want to consider something used. I started with a used Denon 5700 which was their flagship reciever a couple of years ago. Great sound quality, DAC's, solid build (about 50 pounds). You can find good used units for about 450 to 500 dollars now and they used to be 2,800. I used the receiver alone, then bought a seperate power amp later. Later still I bought a seperate processor.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The Microbes are an interesting DIY design. They won't present a difficult load for any receiver, but at about 81 dB/watt they are very inefficient. Have you listened to them driven by another receiver or amp to see if they are loud enough for you? That will tell you how much power you should look for.

It also depends how close you are when listening to them. The only Microbes I've seen were used as computer speakers, so the listener was pretty close.

Please let us know how building your Microbes works out. Are they the standard design with the Tang Band tweeter, or the Microbe SE design with the Seas metal tweeter? What center speaker are you making?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I would echo both MDS and tlqualman's input on this. You can find either a previously owned/used unit or a refurbished unit for a few hundred less than it went for in store just a year or two ago. This will allow for a higher quality unit at a lower price, so long as you don't need some of the latest "add-on" features that aren't necessarily related to sound quality.

For most mid-level receivers, much of the changes in the last couple of years have been from a video processing standpoint (e.g. HDMI) and/or the addition of iPod compatibility features, very little has changed from a DSP processing standpoint (e.g. DTS, Dolby).

In the next couple of years, you will see new processing options in some receivers that can take advantage of some of the HD audio tracks included in the BD/HD-DVD DVDs (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Res, DTS-HD Master), however these will come with a substantial price tag.

Consider purchasing a used mid-level receiver from AudiogoN or from any of the 'classified/For Sale' sections of most HT forums or a refurb from uBid or direct from the manufacturers/authorized refurb seller... -TD

E

effzelic

Audiophyte
The Microbes are an interesting DIY design. They won't present a difficult load for any receiver, but at about 81 dB/watt they are very inefficient. Have you listened to them driven by another receiver or amp to see if they are loud enough for you? That will tell you how much power you should look for.

It also depends how close you are when listening to them. The only Microbes I've seen were used as computer speakers, so the listener was pretty close.

Please let us know how building your Microbes works out. Are they the standard design with the Tang Band tweeter, or the Microbe SE design with the Seas metal tweeter? What center speaker are you making?
Thanks fort he information everyone. I havent heard the Microbes before, but a buddy has and he said he would be pleased with them. (we both have the same listening prefs and movie prefs). Im building a microbe with a Vifa tweeter and Dayton driver. The center will have the same setup, 2 daytons and 1 vifa. And i am building a 10" HF dayton sealed box as well. These will be used for a 32" lcd in an apartment, so i dont need anything super loud, but i do want a good sound for my movies/games and the little music i listen too.

If the build goes well i will for sure build some nicer towers and some surrounds and move these microbes into my computer room. Im good at wood working so the cabinets should be easy, and the crossovers dont look bad. I will make a DIY thread on it once i start the project. :)

O

Ooztuncer

Audiophyte
I sent you a pm regarding my denon 785 (1905) receiver which might fit your bill with nice features that you are looking for...

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
You could buy used on Ebay: SONY TA-E9000ES (pre-amp) & TA-N9000ES (5 channel amp) combo.

E

effzelic

Audiophyte
You could buy used on Ebay: SONY TA-E9000ES (pre-amp) & TA-N9000ES (5 channel amp) combo.
That would be a nice combo, was looking at doing something like that, might be out of my cheap budget right now. Once i want to invest the money something like that might work well, but for the next 6 months i just need a basic receiver, unless those units can be had for wicked cheap.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis