Yet another Q for BMX

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hey, do you think any other manufacturers besides Panasonic will sport auto zoom/focus? I know, at least with some video nazis, they won't be able to get all ARs calibrated just right, even if due to what the finest gradations available are on the adjustments.

But, I was curious, because if I was ever nuts enough to change my screen, I think I'd want a scope screen, fixed, maybe even AT. Even as non-AT, the shorter height would allow much better center speaker placement. The only drawback I really see is that sometimes I have to give up supersized 16:9. Damn, it would be hard to give up supersized 16:9 on a nice handful of movies. Hm.

I suppose the chances that JVC would offer something similar in the near future to be extremely slim? Anyways, just wanted to pick your brain in case there was small nugget in there for me.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Doesn't seem like others are interested in adding this feature vs. concentrating on PQ. This is why a dual PJ setup is in my future plans.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Doesn't seem like others are interested in adding this feature vs. concentrating on PQ. This is why a dual PJ setup is in my future plans.
Whoa. That's the first time I've ever heard of that solution. Interesting, after all, a second PJ can cost less than the nicest anamorphic equipment out there. I've only heard of "stacked" CRT PJs, not this. :) What units are you looking towards?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Dual JVC RS-25/15s would be nice!!!:D:D:cool: A couple of Epson 9500s wouldn't be bad either! :D
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/creating_cinemascope_with_2_projectors/C155
Thanks. Yeah, dual RS25s, ok, lol. I was thinking if I upgrade in the next year, two, or three, that I would sell my RS1. Now, I'm thinking . . . keep it, and add another PJ? However, which one would I use for 1.78, and which one for 2.35. . . Oh, with scope screen, I'd use the RS1 for 1.78.

Wow, this is a crazy idea . . . what have you done to me?! lol

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe you'll find a nice RS-20!:p;) Oh yeah, you need that nice receiver/pre-pro with dual HDMI outs/triggers also.:p

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Oh yeah, you need that nice receiver/pre-pro with dual HDMI outs/triggers also.:p
Yes, I know. And a new screen. And another mount. Another HDMI cable. I just thought of something . . . unless I had an advanced automation system, I can't use my remote to turn on/off my PJ(s) anymore, as they'll certainly use the same codes. Seems like doing it manually would be simplest.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I've really got to wonder if Panasonic threw out a patent on their auto-zoom/focus setup for the home theater market. I certainly would have considered doing that if I were them.

Otherwise, I wouldn't bet on it. What we are going to see, I fully expect, from every major projector player this CEDIA is 3D. Whoever is delivering the goods for 3D projection is going to be getting the rewards at the end of this year and into 2011.

I would expect Panasonic and Epson to be at the top of their game on this. I don't expect the fairly limited 2.35 setup to be delivered from others with the zoom option, but certainly would be happy to see it from others.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I forgot that I don't have to get a new screen, to go scope. I can install a hook, I think, to "stop" my screen at the correct height. Then, perhaps I can sacrifice JVC quality for my 16:9, and add either an Epson or Pana for that AR.

Hmmmmm . . . . . . . . . . . .

Well, then I guess the PQ is not upgraded for 2.35. Hmmmmmm . . . .

I guess I'll have to wait another half year at least to see what the new models will have . . .

Thanks AVRat.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe I should try a Pana 4000. If it looks close enough to the RS1, then I can sell the latter, and have changed out for relatively cheap. Hmrz. OTOH, if I wanted to still keep the RS1 after buying the Pana, I still wouldn't have 3D, not that I care much, but it's figuratively [sic] right around the corner, and I wouldn't have upgraded. Of course, the second option of buying a newer model to come costs way more. Hmrz. :confused:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Josten - The simple reality is that I expect that you will be able to get a 3D capable projector for just a few hundred bucks more (at most) for the equivalent 2D model now and I do expect Panasonic and Epson to deliver for about $2,000-$3,000 for their 120hz or 240hz models.

I have a post in the displays section of these forums on a demo I did with 3D and it has absolutely made me hold off on any new projector purchase until 3D is there.

As well, I think you get into a very questionable spot when you talk about switching out a projector like the RS1 for any LCD or DLP model with similar resolution. The bump in quality you are likely to see is going to be miniscule.

Also, while the Panasonic offers the 'zoom' 2.35 functionality, this does absolutely nothing to improve image quality, and in fact, degrades image quality for 2.35 material compared to 16:9 material.

I have been a person who steps up and says what I think, and when it comes to anamorphic CIH setups, I think that most people simply don't have the budget to do it properly so they hurt their image quality just so they can say they have it. It's an extremely poor way of achieving a goal instead of simply saving up the cash to get the product which actually delivers the quality you are looking for.

Quality which can only be acheived, at this time, by a GOOD anamorphic lens, matched to a good 2.35 screen with solid image processing to scale the 2.35 source to full frame.

If people have to have 2.35, then the AE4000 type product is definitely the cheap way to do it as spending money on a fair to poor anamorphic lens is a total waste of money and hurts the image more than the zoom method. But, not one of these methods is a good way to deal with 2.35 material.

What we are waiting on, and something that I do expect to see in the next five years, is 2.35 native pixel structure projectors. 2560x1080 projectors (or so) when the come to market will be able to directly handle 2.35 material and then be able to fully resolve 16:9 1080p material without any scaling whatsoever.

Vizio is actually leading the way with their 58" LCD display they showed at CES. If this product comes to market and does well, it could really allow for some interesting projector developments in the next few years...
http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/vizio-unveils-58-inch-2-351-led-backlit-lcd-hdtv-2010016/

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Josten - The simple reality is that I expect that you will be able to get a 3D capable projector for just a few hundred bucks more (at most) for the equivalent 2D model now and I do expect Panasonic and Epson to deliver for about $2,000-$3,000 for their 120hz or 240hz models.
Ok, I'll wait! I do get antsy sometimes, but I don't pull the trigger very easily, as it usually takes a lot of thought,

Also, while the Panasonic offers the 'zoom' 2.35 functionality, this does absolutely nothing to improve image quality, and in fact, degrades image quality for 2.35 material compared to 16:9 material.
You know, this escaped my mind. Thanks. I would have to calibrate for one AR, leaving the other AR as compromised. I suppose one could try to calibrate with a "non-existent" in-between AR as a compromise. I suppose this is what you are implying (contrast, saturation, whatever)?

What we are waiting on, and something that I do expect to see in the next five years, is 2.35 native pixel structure projectors. 2560x1080 projectors (or so) when the come to market will be able to directly handle 2.35 material and then be able to fully resolve 16:9 1080p material without any scaling whatsoever.
Now, this I can see JVC jumping on in a heartbeat. Though, I wonder how long a heartbeat lasts in the projector world.

Vizio is actually leading the way with their 58" LCD display they showed at CES. If this product comes to market and does well, it could really allow for some interesting projector developments in the next few years...
http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/vizio-unveils-58-inch-2-351-led-backlit-lcd-hdtv-2010016/
I recently watched Children of Men, a futuristic story. I believe it was in Clive Owen's room, where there was a 2.35 display on the wall! The irony did not escape me that I was watching this film in the 1.85 AR, hahah.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis