Yet another noob Help thread...

L

Louis

Enthusiast
Onkyo 608 or Yamaha HTR-5960

Hey guys,
I know there's probably 20 of these threads every day but I guess everyone has different budgets and options so as much as I've searched I haven't been able to get a straight answer between my choices...especially since I'm a newb to all this
I am looking to upgrade my system, which is a small cheap "home theater in a box" type system from Sony. This is for my apartment living room which is about 11x17 so it's obviously not a very big place but I would like somehting that'll work in a bigger room for when/if I move. I know I won't be able to get everything at once so i am starting first with a receiver. After reading and researching on this site and forums I have narrowed things down to the Yamaha HTR-5960/V659 and the Onkyo 604. I can't go all crazy so i am setting a limit on @ 500 bucks for the receiver and these 2 seem to be among the most popular ones. I am leaning towards the Yammy due to the great review on this site, even if its a bit more expensive than the Onkyo. I currently do not have any HDMI equipment but will be getting in the near future a Panasonic 42 in. plasma so i figure if i get any HDMI equipment I can always run the video straight to the TV.
My questions are:
1) which one should I go for..I see the strong points for both but should i go for : a)Yammy b) onkyo c) Get a refurb upscale model of either brand (i'm kinda of weary about refurbs though)
Ive listened to both but in different places so i couldn't really do a same site comparison, but for the most part they both sounded pretty decent...again I'm not an expert.
2) Is there another receiver in the range which may actually be better off than both of those? I know there's quite a few under 500 but these 2 seem to be popping up the most and I am not familiar with the Denon or Pioneer "best bets" for under 500 so haven't really looked into those brands.
3) Since I don't have speakers yet (will wait for tax refund to see how much i get back and go from there...) would there be any harm in running the new receiver with the crappy satellite speakers form the Sony HTIB system for a few months will i get some decent speakers?

Thanx for any tips!

Last edited:
jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha Receivers

I have a similar Yamaha receiver (HTR-5860) and recommend it. Check authorized online dealers for the HTR-5960 and you should be able to get it for about $350. Use the extra funds for an Oppo DVD player or add it to the speaker budget.

No problem hooking up the Sony cubes, but you wont be able to run a passive sub off of the new receiver. Since electronics prices tend to drop over time you might just wait until you can afford a new pair of bookshelf speakers, the new receiver, and maybe a sub.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm another one who will recommend a Yamaha, especially for the price. This should not be seen as a negative on the Onkyo exactly but a positive on the Yam. I have previously had Sony and Panasonic receivers and I really prefer the sound of the Yamaha. I use if for movies, two channel music and 5 channel music in my basement system and have been happy with all 3. My previous receivers in the same system, the Panasonic was retired but had good sound (but lacked a 5 channel input), the Sony was one I didn't like; it got hit by lightning last summer and was put out its misery. One of the things I like about the Yamaha is its straight stereo mode, which takes out all DSP for basic stereo purposes. The DSP-phony surround modes are no worse than those in most receivers. The switching is good and the overall sound quality has an excellently silent background, a soft top end and pleasing detail.

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I have the 659 and am very happy with it. It has all the power and features I need and want for my purposes.
Onkyo also makes quality gear but as the reviews suggest the 659 is a quality receiver with a lot of bang for the buck.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Very happy Yamaha owner.
RX-V1400
DVD S-840
CDC-645

L

Louis

Enthusiast
Thanx guys, i ordered the Yamaha, should have it tomorrow. I tried going trough authorized resellers but they ALL (at least the ones listed in the Yamaha site) had the exact same price for it! $499, wouldn't budge a buck.
I ended up getting it trough Amazon for 350 with free shipping (shipped and sold directly by them not a 3rd party). I am not sure Amazon is an "authorized" reseller but between Amazon and other vendors that had it in the 350 range (butterfly photo, ebay, etc..) I went with Amazon after reading negative reviews for the other small shop vendors I was considering.
Can't wait!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Louis said:
Thanx guys, i ordered the Yamaha, should have it tomorrow. I tried going trough authorized resellers but they ALL (at least the ones listed in the Yamaha site) had the exact same price for it! $499, wouldn't budge a buck.
I ended up getting it trough Amazon for 350 with free shipping (shipped and sold directly by them not a 3rd party). I am not sure Amazon is an "authorized" reseller but between Amazon and other vendors that had it in the 350 range (butterfly photo, ebay, etc..) I went with Amazon after reading negative reviews for the other small shop vendors I was considering.
Can't wait!
Amazon is my favorite for everything. Off topic, but I ordered my wife a Rowenta iron, and when it arrived, it was broken. I went to a link provided with the shipment, entered my phone #, and the phone rang. I answered. They replied, "Hi, this is Amazon customer service, how may I assist you?" I told rep the situation and he replied, "I have a new one on the way. I am sending a package slip to your email for you to print off, and place on the box for return shipping. If you would just drop the item off at your local post office, we will take care of the postage." WOW! That is the best customer service I have ever received. If Amazon has what I need, that is where I get it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis