Yet another Newbie with questions

S

slacker70

Audiophyte
Hi All,
I am currently looking to purchase a new HT system, after reading these forums i am completely confused.
I think i am set on the AVR, it is the speakers that have me running in circles.
Below is what i an leaning toward right now, any comments would be appreciated.

How about this for a starter setup?
AVR
Onkyo 507

Speakers - I was looking at the Paradigm Cinema 5.1 packages, but after seeing the that there are several places that have the Energy C100 Bookshelf and Center Channel speakers marked down to very reasonable prices. So I am thinking get the C100 front L/R and center use my current rear surrounds and down the road pick up an SVS or HSU Sub.

I think it would run about $600 without the Sub

Do I really need the sub right now given the c100's are bookshelf speakers?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Room size is about 17X20 to be used mostly for music and some movies.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
You will decide if you need the sub after selecting your speakers. Petty good size room will require a sub for movies for most of us. Since the movies from your post appear to be secondary you may very well be satisfied without one for a period of time. SVS are terrific subs and keep your eyes open on e-bay and the like but be forewarned the SVS hold their value well and do not often go for significant discounts. You might also look around for the Paradigm Studio series on e-bay to just see if anything good used would fall in your budget. For music, you would likely be more satisfied with a better used speaker. The Onkyo is fine for a starter receiver. Put most of your budget in the speakers.

Good luck

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
A bookshelf can provide a satisfying listing experience, even though bass will be comparatively limited. If you don't find the low frequency extension of the C100's objectionable, there is no law that says the sub needs to be bought with the other speakers.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Tips to follow.

Room size is about 17X20 to be used mostly for music and some movies.
Hi Slacker70 and welcome to the club,

YES, you do need a sub to fully experience the full impact of movies on DVDs or Blu-Rays.

For a good value sub, check the SVS PB12-NSD ($569) or the SVS PB10-NSD ($429).

Energy or Paradigm speakers = excellent speakers with very good value.

For your room size (17 x 20"), I will suggest the Onkyo TX-SR607 at only $350 right now, or the 606 at $320, or the 705 at $440, or the Marantz SR5002 at $350, or the SR6001 at also $350. All these receivers mentioned here are your best value on the market right now. They are well worth it over the 507.

#1 = Onkyo TX-SR705 or Marantz SR6001.
#2 = Onkyo TX-SR607 or Marantz SR5002.

* Just look at their own respective web sites for all the specs plus features, and also read some reviews (just Google them) to familiarize yourself with their various features and the ones that you can make better use of, in your own system.

The best deals can be found at "Accessories 4 Less" and at "6th Avenue".

So, for your three Energy speakers, a sub like the SVS PB10-NSD and a receiver like the Onkyo TX-SR607 or the Marantz SR6001; it will run you approximatively $1,050. And you'll be totally set up for the full impact in your 5.1-channel surround system (you already have a pair of speakers for your surrounds). Just don't dismiss that sub from the get go, it is one of the most important part of the puzzle. It is very well worth it, trust me.
And you'll be good for a very long time. :) Start saving your money right now, so that sub won't be waiting too long. Because when you'll get it, you'll realise how right I was. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

S

slacker70

Audiophyte
Hi Slacker70 and welcome to the club,

YES, you do need a sub to fully experience the full impact of movies on DVDs or Blu-Rays.

For a good value sub, check the SVS PB12-NSD ($569) or the SVS PB10-NSD ($429).

Energy or Paradigm speakers = excellent speakers with very good value.

For your room size (17 x 20"), I will suggest the Onkyo TX-SR607 at only $350 right now, or the 606 at $320, or the 705 at $440, or the Marantz SR5002 at $350, or the SR6001 at also $350. All these receivers mentioned here are your best value on the market right now. They are well worth it over the 507.

#1 = Onkyo TX-SR705 or Marantz SR6001.
#2 = Onkyo TX-SR607 or Marantz SR5002.

* Just look at their own respective web sites for all the specs plus features, and also read some reviews (just Google them) to familiarize yourself with their various features and the ones that you can make better use of, in your own system.

The best deals can be found at "Accessories 4 Less" and at "6th Avenue".

So, for your three Energy speakers, a sub like the SVS PB10-NSD and a receiver like the Onkyo TX-SR607 or the Marantz SR6001; it will run you approximatively $1,050. And you'll be totally set up for the full impact in your 5.1-channel surround system (you already have a pair of speakers for your surrounds). Just don't dismiss that sub from the get go, it is one of the most important part of the puzzle. It is very well worth it, trust me.
And you'll be good for a very long time. :) Start saving your money right now, so that sub won't be waiting too long. Because when you'll get it, you'll realise how right I was. ;)

Cheers,

Bob
The Marantz refurbs are a really good deal, but I am limited on funds right now, and I can get the 507 for $265 at 6ave I think it has all the features i need, the main one being that i can use zone 2 for a pair of kitchen speakers.

Do you think the SVS subs would be underutilized with the 507?

I think i would rather save for the sub. And o yea, did i mention i still ave a 32" tube tv.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Sounds good.

^ That link just above, I cannot access it!

* The 507 is fine for your use, and no, the SVS sub would not be underutilize with it, to the contrary, it will complement it very nicely.

Smart decision to save for the sub. :) (My recommendation for sub: SVS PB10-NSD.)

Bob

S

slacker70

Audiophyte
How does the HK AVR 254 rank among the Onkyo 507 and the Marantz refurbs.
This is why i hate the internet at times, just when i think i find what i want I red another forum post,lol.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
How does the HK AVR 254 rank among the Onkyo 507 and the Marantz refurbs.
This is why i hate the internet at times, just when i think i find what i want I red another forum post,lol.
Well, the Harman Kardon AVR 254 would rank higher than the Onkyo TX-SR507.
It retails for $300 more, if it's any indication.
And the Marantz refurbs (without any model #s), I cannot say.

* Another thing; don't wait almost three weeks to respond or elaborate further.
By then, it's too late for remembering the focus of the discussion, and it takes more time to reread the full thread for reentering the subject at hand.
Your confusion and your late comeback become ours.

>>> So, I suggest that you recap what you're looking for, at what price range, and with or without HDMI version 1.3 and internal decoders for Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA.
It's called a reassessment, after a three weeks absence. And that, is your job, not ours.

Cheers,

Bob

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis