Yet another 805 V 806 thread

T

Toby

Enthusiast
Sorry but im a noob. and everything ive searched and seen seems to have different needs than me

I can get a 806 or a silver 805 for the same price new and am wondering about which to get.

I have a PS3 and DirecTV HD DVR hooked up to a XBR via HDMI.

I have no need for up or downscaling.

I currently have only 2 fronts and a center speakers from Aperion.

I hate the fact that the 806 doesnt pass through my 1080p signal unmolested and dont like what im hearing about the 805 not doing the latest codecs.

Please help

Thanks in advance

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry but im a noob. and everything ive searched and seen seems to have different needs than me

I can get a 806 or a silver 805 for the same price new and am wondering about which to get.

I have a PS3 and DirecTV HD DVR hooked up to a XBR via HDMI.

I have no need for up or downscaling.

I currently have only 2 fronts and a center speakers from Aperion.

I hate the fact that the 806 doesnt pass through my 1080p signal unmolested and dont like what im hearing about the 805 not doing the latest codecs.

Please help

Thanks in advance
Toby, the 805 has a larger power supply which means it can deliver more power when needed dynamically than the 806. This is why the 806 weighs significantly less than the 805 respectively speaking. You have the PS3 which will process the new codecs and send it via LPCM via the multichannel inputs to your receiver. Therefore, the 805 not processing the new codecs is irrelevant. Based upon your gear, I would opt for the 805 w/o hesitation, especially, if it is really brand new. Where did you find a brand new 805 if you don't mind me asking? Just curious is all. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

T

Toby

Enthusiast
Wow. Leave it to a UK fan to give me the answer I need.

Our Italian coaches moms Lasagna is better than your Italian coaches moms

Go Cards!

But seriously , The 805 is new and its on Amazon. Its the Silver model.....Is that any different? The Black model is still 850 or so...

Silver 805 is $650 new on Amazon as we speak

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Go Cards!

But seriously , The 805 is new and its on Amazon. Its the Silver model.....Is that any different? The Black model is still 850 or so...

I see. So, a Cards fan eh? Patino is awesome. However, things are looking up since KY now has Calipari. ;);) Dawning of a new era in the Big Blue Nation!!!!! One, that will even things up in the great state of KY. Really looking forward to seeing UofL, UK, and WKU in the next NCAA tournament. At least one will make it to the "Final Four" imho. Perhaps, even two. Now, that would really be something to see. You agree?

Cheers,

Phil

T

Toby

Enthusiast
I see. So, a Cards fan eh? Patino is awesome. However, things are looking up since KY now has Calipari. ;);) Dawning of a new era in the Big Blue Nation!!!!! One, that will even things up in the great state of KY. Really looking forward to seeing UofL, UK, and WKU in the next NCAA tournament. At least one will make it to the "Final Four" imho. Perhaps, even two. Now, that would really be something to see. You agree?

Cheers,

Phil
I think UK made the best possible hire and they will be challenging for F4's next year If they get ANY of those Memphis recruits, let alone multiple guys on Memphis commit list. And i'd like to see EKU get another shot next year.

Im tired of hearing about how good North Carolina BBall is.

Back on point, is the silver 805 exactly the same as the black?

Also, will the 805 downscale my HD DVR?

T

Toby

Enthusiast
Well....I bought both....

In home Receiver Cockoff!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think UK made the best possible hire and they will be challenging for F4's next year If they get ANY of those Memphis recruits, let alone multiple guys on Memphis commit list. And i'd like to see EKU get another shot next year.

Im tired of hearing about how good North Carolina BBall is.

Back on point, is the silver 805 exactly the same as the black?

Also, will the 805 downscale my HD DVR?
Toby, the silver and black are the same as far as I know. Not real sure about the downscaling capabilities of the 805. Might want to ask Jost, Peng, or Nomo as they are more on top of things like that. Seth=L is another you might want to ask. Just send any of them a PM. I am sure they all will be glad to help. Congrats on your new purchases. As far as recruits go, I believe several have already said they were following Calipari. Of course, this makes for great news at UK. Patterson and Meeks will also be back as will Darius Miller. Things are already on the upswing and I am looking forward to it. I have also learned, never ever count Patino out. He is that good. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Two questions for you. What is the 806 exactly doing to the 1080p signal? The 805 has support for the latest codecs, and I've never once seen it said otherwise.

I use an 805. I believe some of the other owners might include aberkowitz and jvgillow. I think it has so far worked perfectly fine, as advertised, for all of us, but they can chime in otherwise for themselves.

AFAIK, the singular benefit of the 806 is the addition of Audyssey Dynamic Volume and EQ. FWIW, there are indeed some users of this new tech that claim they will never, ever go without it.

The 805 has a much beefier amp section. It has the best consumer version of Audyssey calibration in Mult EQ XT, uses Burr Brown DAC (same model used in the $7,000 Denon AVP, just not as many of them), passes 1080p/24 untouched via HDMI.

If you want that level of amp or Audyssey calibration, today, in Onkyo's lineup, you now have to step up to the 876. The 806 downgraded on multiple fronts compared to its predecessor.

I've never tried running component conversion, but I'm pretty sure that should be avoided at all costs with the 805. Even if it worked just fine, I still* typically recommend running such connections directly to display. Firstly, most displays still process video better than most receivers. Secondly, calibrating your video per source input is typically easier/allowable when using separate connections to the tv.

All you lose there is having the inconvenience of hitting one more button on your remote. And if you use a universal remote, not even that.

Hope this helps.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Two questions for you. What is the 806 exactly doing to the 1080p signal? The 805 has support for the latest codecs, and I've never once seen it said otherwise.

I use an 805. I believe some of the other owners might include aberkowitz and jvgillow. I think it has so far worked perfectly fine, as advertised, for all of us, but they can chime in otherwise for themselves.

AFAIK, the singular benefit of the 806 is the addition of Audyssey Dynamic Volume and EQ. FWIW, there are indeed some users of this new tech that claim they will never, ever go without it.

The 805 has a much beefier amp section. It has the best consumer version of Audyssey calibration in Mult EQ XT, uses Burr Brown DAC (same model used in the $7,000 Denon AVP, just not as many of them), passes 1080p/24 untouched via HDMI.

If you want that level of amp or Audyssey calibration, today, in Onkyo's lineup, you now have to step up to the 876. The 806 downgraded on multiple fronts compared to its predecessor.

I've never tried running component conversion, but I'm pretty sure that should be avoided at all costs with the 805. Even if it worked just fine, I still* typically recommend running such connections directly to display. Firstly, most displays still process video better than most receivers. Secondly, calibrating your video per source input is typically easier/allowable when using separate connections to the tv.

All you lose there is having the inconvenience of hitting one more button on your remote. And if you use a universal remote, not even that.

Hope this helps.
Jost, thanks for the info. Basically, what I was saying only you said it much better. ;);) I am sure Toby will like this very informative post.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Both the 806 and 805 offer the same decoding abilities in terms of audio, I'm not sure who said they don't. The silver and black models are the same, just different colors.

-the 805 has more power

-the 805 has better DACs

-the 805 has a superior auto calibration system

I am unaware of any advantage the 806 may have, but I am certain that if it has one it is far out weighed by the 805's excessive features and brawn.

I hope this was helpful and solves your quandary.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Go Cards!

Well for the hundred dollar difference I would suggest you go with the 805.

Though 550 for an 806 is a good deal.

T

Toby

Enthusiast

Hope this helps.
It was said that 806 doesnt pass through signal...Something like at the very least is does something to BTB....This is all greek to me BTW.

And about the codecs, I read this

"The 805 will not process 24/192 Dolby TrueHD.
The 806 will process 24/192 Dolby TrueHD.

The 805 processes dts-ma 24/192 at 24/96
The 806 processes dts-ma 24/192 at 24/192"

I dont know anything so I bought both. Prolly send the 806 back

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
BTB = blacker than black, and may matter if you are a HTPC user.

24/192 is unavailable on bluray to the best of my knowledge. As with "deep color" who knows when, if ever, we will see it. I'm not keen on this stuff either, but have the impression that implementation of 192kHz, whether TrueHD, or DTSMA, is very difficult, and that's saying it lightly. And then, there are probably those who say you're not going to hear the difference anyways (?).

There are bigger fish to fry. For sure. Try room acoustics for starters.

T

Toby

Enthusiast
BTB = blacker than black, and may matter if you are a HTPC user.

24/192 is unavailable on bluray to the best of my knowledge. As with "deep color" who knows when, if ever, we will see it. I'm not keen on this stuff either, but have the impression that implementation of 192kHz, whether TrueHD, or DTSMA, is very difficult, and that's saying it lightly. And then, there are probably those who say you're not going to hear the difference anyways (?).

There are bigger fish to fry. For sure. Try room acoustics for starters.

Thats my problem. I read this stuff and dont know what it means and get scared off a receiver when the problem wont even effect me....Thanks for the info

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thats my problem. I read this stuff and dont know what it means and get scared off a receiver when the problem wont even effect me....Thanks for the info
You're welcome.

I dont know anything so I bought both. Prolly send the 806 back
I know it's a major hassle, but if this purchase is an important one to you, it might be worth calibrating and connecting both. (Unless of course you're not allowed to return it after installing it). Of course, the biggest hassle could be connecting and disconnecting all the speakers, and maybe right now is a good time for spending on banana plugs.

I just wanted to repeat that for some folks, the AS Dyn eq/vol is a real boon. If you wanted to guess for yourself, the lower the volume you playback movies with, the more you might want it. If you are the type who cranks it, you will have less need for it. Me? It's pretty loud . . .

T

Toby

Enthusiast
You're welcome.

I know it's a major hassle, but if this purchase is an important one to you, it might be worth calibrating and connecting both. (Unless of course you're not allowed to return it after installing it). Of course, the biggest hassle could be connecting and disconnecting all the speakers, and maybe right now is a good time for spending on banana plugs.

I just wanted to repeat that for some folks, the AS Dyn eq/vol is a real boon. If you wanted to guess for yourself, the lower the volume you playback movies with, the more you might want it. If you are the type who cranks it, you will have less need for it. Me? It's pretty loud . . .
If im watching a movie....I want it loud.

Banana plugs already bought and installed on the wire.

T

Toby

Enthusiast
Im currently watching TV with my DirecTV hdmi signal going through the 805 and it doesnt look as clear as when I hook up my box straight to my TV

I put Superman 3 in my bluray and it was clearly not the same as a direct connection via HDMI from my BDplayer to my TV

what gives?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Im currently watching TV with my DirecTV hdmi signal going through the 805 and it doesnt look as clear as when I hook up my box straight to my TV

I put Superman 3 in my bluray and it was clearly not the same as a direct connection via HDMI from my BDplayer to my TV

what gives?
Dunno. That's weird. I've run my BDP directly to PJ when first setting up, and noticed zero difference when run thru the 805. Hm.

You are comparing by using the exact same HDMI input on the television? For if you connect sources to HDMI-1, but the receiver to HDMI-2, those two different inputs may very well be set to different video settings. Hm.

Can you be much more specific on how the comparison looks different? Not that I will know what to say, but someone else might.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

what gives?
Could be an up converting issue. Could also be psychological.

I suggest getting someone to do a double blind test on you to see if you can identify which is which. Just to make sure it's not perceptions.

Also make sure you have the latest firmware. Did you buy your 805 as a refurb?

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Akira uses a 24-bit/192 kHz DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack as does the Divertimenti from 2L.

You're unlikely to ever hear the difference between a 24-bit/192 kHz and 24-bit/96 kHz track, but this bothers the geekiness in me too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis