Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
Finally, it happened.

Last year when I bought the Yami 1400 all I heard was you spent what? Then, this year when I bought 3 B&W's (2 mains and center) once again I heard YOU SPENT WHAT ON SPEAKERS! She complained off and on about it. This is from a woman who spends thousands! on clothes several times a year. Then the other night while watching some stupid reality show of has been musicians she asked if this was the best setting for it! Then she stated last weekend while staying at her mom's house watching the dog that she realized that regular TV sounds like Crap!!!!!!!!! WAF, finally. When I heard this and my heart started beating again I almost had to go into the basement to do a little jig.

Moral of the story- a man was finally right. Keep wearing them down and they will finally appreciate finer audio.

Bryguy

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Same here, except it was American Idol that helped make a convert.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
I do not know how you guys put up with the BS from a wife/girlfriend, I guess I will be destined to hire women by the hour.

V

vinny

Audioholic Intern
Well I have a good woman who appreciates great sound and great display units she brought mine...nice one hey guys boy I'm blessed. :) But the only thing she likes Idol and I hate it but I like American chopper and she hates it..well you can't have your cake and eat it or can I?

Duffinator

Duffinator

Privateer said:
I do not know how you guys put up with the BS from a wife/girlfriend, I guess I will be destined to hire women by the hour.
If you don't know then I'd suggest saying single. ;)

As much as I may have joked about it in the past my wife is usually supportive and in the end appreciative on the annual upgrades I make to our HT. I'm currently looking at upgrading to an SVS sub but am also considering some new Monitor Audio Silver series speakers (probably next year). I was planning on using larger bookshelves for my surrounds and showed her the RS 1's. She freaked and said "those aren't going on my wall". In all fairness they are about three times the size of my current Polk's. Looks like I may have to use in-wall speakers. :(

9f9c7z

Banned
I have to agree with you, Duffinator. The ‘boss’ pretty much stays out of the way and is very appreciative of the final results, after all the research/reading, listening, and auditioning. Actually getting to the point that she can hear the differences. :) Now, she sits down, takes the remote away from me, puts on what she wants (she is, after all, the boss), and enjoys what we got in return for our capital outlay.

Appearance is important to the boss. But she has a good point on that, too; “for as much as that thing costs, why can’t it look good?” But the boss has a critical eye; “why can’t all of the manufactures have the same maple finish? And how come the logo for Vienna Acoustics isn’t in the same place with the same shape as the label for company ‘x’ ?”
:)

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
It Was Revenge of the Sith That Did It for My Wife...

Yesterday my wife and I were talking about movies and, right out of the blue, she mentioned how uncomfortable the whole movie-watching experience was. We had to wait in line for over an hour, we had to put up with hordes of--shall we say?--enthusiastic teens, and etc.

She said that she likes the sound of our HT and appreciates that we can watch movies when we want to, pause in the middle if something comes up, and that we don't have to put up with exuberant pre-pubescents and teens. Sure, we're six months behind the times, but that's becoming more and more okay...

RotS was the first movie we had seen in a theater together since LotR: The Two Towers. We saw it in the theater out of loyalty to the franchise -- but I dont' see us going "out to the movies" anytime soon. Maybe not ever again.

So my wife's now on board with the HT experience!!

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Congrats on the WAF! I personally had a little set back this weekend. My wife had really been enjoying the HT this last year or so and then last night. Last night we were talking about finally getting a new HDTV (not sure what tech yet) and the fact that our entertainment center would have to go since it would only fit a "old fashion" TV set in terms of width. I explained what I wanted and she said:

"Great, so we can finally get rid of those big ugly speakers."

I entered a state of confusion and disappointment. Not about the speakers. They are staying, non negotiable. But rather that my wife had come so far and then, BAM back to square one. :(

Shinerman

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Ha, great thread :)

My wife gave me the same grief... OMG it's so huge, and it sticks out! (sorry couldn't help myself !! lol )

In all seriousness though, she did liked the size a very much. Yet, lately she hasn't said much at all. She's quickly learned how to watch a DVD through the receiver, and doesn't watch TV with out turning on the receiver for audio. So, I guess she's a convert too!

P

philh

Full Audioholic
Zarg said:
Yesterday my wife and I were talking about movies and, right out of the blue, she mentioned how uncomfortable the whole movie-watching experience was. We had to wait in line for over an hour, we had to put up with hordes of--shall we say?--enthusiastic teens, and etc.

She said that she likes the sound of our HT and appreciates that we can watch movies when we want to, pause in the middle if something comes up, and that we don't have to put up with exuberant pre-pubescents and teens. Sure, we're six months behind the times, but that's becoming more and more okay...

RotS was the first movie we had seen in a theater together since LotR: The Two Towers. We saw it in the theater out of loyalty to the franchise -- but I dont' see us going "out to the movies" anytime soon. Maybe not ever again.

So my wife's now on board with the HT experience!!
I was disappointed in the theaters sound system for Sith. Made me appreciate all the work so far. Just wish I had the room accoustics by old house had. It rocked and nothing was set up properly!

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
vinny said:
Well I have a good woman who appreciates great sound and great display units she brought mine...nice one hey guys boy I'm blessed. :) But the only thing she likes Idol and I hate it but I like American chopper and she hates it..well you can't have your cake and eat it or can I?
Sure you can, with the right woman...mine likes American Chopper, too :D

As for speakers, I took her out to an audition session after settling on the Paradigms. Once they fired up & she got that "holy %^&, these sound awesome" look I knew there was no problem there.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

...mine likes American Chopper, too
My whole family rides (the youngest just started) and we can all agree that the OCC's 15 minutes should be ending right about...NOW (mostly thanks to Poker replacing "choppers" as Americas national pasttime du jour).

Don't get me wrong, Motorcycling in the US needs all the good publicity it can get, having spent the last 4 decades being equated with vandalism, but TV's love for dangerously designed, poorly built customs (all of which see to be identical 102" S&S motored, 300-width tired, 35 degree necked, 15" overed', hardtail Custom Chrome kit bike) is making unreasonable assumptions about everyone that rides a bike.

To put it in perspective: Imagine if in every TV program they only showed people listening to a cassette tape/tube amplifier/electrostatic speaker combination. It may be true for less than 1% of the population, but it causes society in general to ignore any development of CDs, Vinyl, Solid State, Dome tweeters, or what-have-you because its not on TV every 30 seconds.

And to top it all off, the OCC doesn't even paint their own bikes and can't assemble their own motors! Why are these no talents famous?!?! (Jesse James & the WCC can at least paint & build a motor).

OK, American Chopper rant over .

P

pretzel logic

Audiophyte
gaf

I am transitioning from waf to gaf. My x wife never got the whole audio/video scene. Thought it was "wasting money." My last girlfriend thought along the same lines. The one I am with now thinks my ht is the coolset thing ever. (gotta love her for saying that!) We are moving in together soon and she is very accepting of the fact that our second bedroom (more conducive to ht then the living room) will have miles of wires and 1400 watts of power. She gets it and actually wants to learn more about it. A match made in heaven..... :D

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
Originally, I had everything going through a splitter so she wouldn't have to concern herself with the receiver. I got tired of looking at all the cr@p so I finally put everything through the Yami. It was kind of confusing since I'm still using a 1993 Zenith TV. Now she is talking about flat panel and the only video furniture she likes is Salamander (ouch- that's gonna cost us a wad). We're both tired of looking at the present TV stand which is a black 55 gallon fish tank stand with doors and shelves. It matches the black tv and speakers pretty well. I just wish all the TV companies would go back to having a choice between black OR silver and not just silver.

She is also learning the remote very well and the different settings on the receiver.

Bryguy

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
And to top it all off, the OCC doesn't even paint their own bikes and can't assemble their own motors! Why are these no talents famous?!?! (Jesse James & the WCC can at least paint & build a motor).

OK, American Chopper rant over .
If it weren't for those clowns fussing and fighting with each other all of the time I believe the show would have never made it. That is one show I just can't get myself to watch.

Wife thought I was crazy for spending "sooooo much money on that junk...." (and reminded me often) untill she watched a couple of *her* favorite movies, now she loves the system. The addition of a Harmony 880 remote was nothing but icing on the cake for her!

annunaki

annunaki

My wife knows how important audio is to me. She understands that it is my hobby, though expensive. It is also my career, currently. I am upgrading soon, and I think she actually appreciated that I asked her opinion of finishes for the sub and speakers (B&W 600 series and SVS PB-12 Ultra or Plus). I believe that getting them involed can make for a much more pleasant experience. One must lay the ground work first. Letting them know about speaker size, woofer (enclosure) size, ect. and how it translates into performance can help out down the road.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
My GF knows not to come in between me and my audio. She know not to fiddle with anything because she saw what I did to a friend who fiddled.

She really isn't bothered by my audio addiction, cause she likes listening to it too.

"Girls like the guys who go "BOOM""

Paul

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
Axiom Audio Custom Finishes

annunaki said:
My wife knows how important audio is to me. She understands that it is my hobby, though expensive. It is also my career, currently. I am upgrading soon, and I think she actually appreciated that I asked her opinion of finishes for the sub and speakers (B&W 600 series and SVS PB-12 Ultra or Plus). I believe that getting them involed can make for a much more pleasant experience. One must lay the ground work first. Letting them know about speaker size, woofer (enclosure) size, ect. and how it translates into performance can help out down the road.
Yeah, I agree completely. I let my wife choose the custom finish for the Axiom's (after I chose the models, of course) and that made a BIG difference in her attitude. Y'know what's cool? Axiom included a dinky plate on the back that says "custom speakers for ____" and it went a long way to getting WAF on the floorstanders. (Me? Who cares? It's on the back and nobody ever sees it...)

Anyway, getting the wife to participate is a very smart move, particularly on things like color & finish that don't significantly affect the overall sound.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....gentlemen, if your wife has a cell phone that is bluetooth compatible, and I suspect more are than you think, doesn't have to have the word bluetooth in the mix, here is a reward for that wife having gone along with your home theater thus far, and could soften the next component purchase, am I worthless or what?.....

.....and, it is considered electronics and audio, so on this forum this post shall land.....

.....I ordered this bluetooth wireless headset a month ago, and have had it for two weeks....I can't tell you how much I absolutely love it....it is small, wonderfully shaped for fit and staying, and has set me free with great clear volume, with the phone in my pocket.....

....I answer from the headset on all calls in....and actually, if I choose to let the headset vibrate twice, it answers the call....yeah, I can reach up and click the button that has the old handset symbol on it after one vibrate and say hello....if I call someone, I have to initiate the call from the phone, but I can hang up by clicking the same button on the headset.....

.....when I tell you it costs about 75 to your door, don't feel scalped....other sites advertise Jabra Freespeak BT-250 headsets that DON'T vibrate, for like 95 to your door....makes the performance that much sweeter....here is the Jabra Freespeak BT-250v....the girls at this place told me this model that vibrates is new, and they were able to get a load of them....the girls will help you determine if your phone is bluetooth-compatible for devices, and they gave me an 800 number for my phone's manufacturer's support sections for "pairing" the headset with the phone....I have a Motorola phone that has a desktop/icon page choice, and I suspect that's the key for compatibility here....a camera has nothing to do with it, I was told....it comes with a home AC charger, and I found a car charger for 14 bucks....haven't broke the car charger out of the plastic yet....the headset has the neatest blue strobe light up near the top that flashes once every three seconds when it is powered on....she will love it as she drives with both hands on the wheel and her hair is hiding the blue strobe from the cops, haha....boys, we've covered it....

http://www.simoncells.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1504

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis