G

Gohanto

Enthusiast
A rather broad topic, but within the next 6 months I'll be able to considering buying a new TV (current is a Philips 30" CRT HDTV, gets the job done, not great). General price range in the $900-$1600 range for a ~40in. 1080p 24p LCD.

My question is are their any features left for HD sets to add before home 3-D starts hitting the streets in a few years (my guess anyway). 24p fps and 1080p resolution seem about as far as the 2-D screens will likely go for a while, but does anyone know of any other major tech. that'll likely be seen before 3-D?

I know future proofing isn't always possible, just trying to stay reasonably well informed as I follow audio advances much closer than visual advances.

annunaki

annunaki

After setting one up recently for my brother, I would highly suggest the Panasonic TH-42PZ85U. It is a stellar performer, and easily beats any LCD in the price category suggested. Specifically in terms of picture quality & black levels.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I think most of the features are there if you buy the right set. For example Samsung's LN40A650 is in my opinion close enough to future proof for five years. The black levels are excellent and the picture is outstanding and if you watch for sales you'll find it, and possibly even the LN46A650 in your price range.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I know of no LCD in your budget that is capable of doing 24p with success.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Future-proofing with a TV is not possible. They keep improving them, with better black levels, etc. Probably, in a few years, OLED will be the one to get, but, of course, the future is notoriously difficult to reliably predict.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Yup, that's why I've been asking myself the same subject question the last 5 years. :confused::eek::rolleyes:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I know future proofing isn't always possible, just trying to stay reasonably well informed as I follow audio advances much closer than visual advances.
The advances will most likely be with LCD since they still have a longer ways to go.

BB is selling the PZ80u 46" 1080p Pana plasma for $999, free shipping, 0% financing over 36 months.

Then there are possibly better deals, in store only, at local Costco stores. I'm going to go later today, to help my brother out.

While not quite as much bang for buck, if you want to splurge a bit more, I'd step up to 800/850 series, but they only come at 50" or greater I believe, and they will max out your budget.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I second The Panasonic TH-42PZ85u. It handily beats any LCD that price range and even considerably higher. I would take it over a Samsung 650 series LCD any day. The closest Samsung is an 850 LED backlit for a considerable premium and I wouldn't even take that with it's mediocre viewing angles and halo effect. If you want to go bigger the TH-46PZ80u is hard to beat for $999. No LCD would come close.

G

Gohanto

Enthusiast
Demo the set with a bluray set to it. The display does not do well with it.
That's interesting. I actually haven't seen any TVs with 24p yet and most of my interest was just that my HT is primarily for movies, so can you recommend me some TVs I could find at a BB with a high quality 24p mode? Largely just so I can see if it's worth waiting for a higher quality 24p feature on cheaper sets.

And thanks for the Panasonic 42PZ85u recommendation. Don't know many videophiles and most friends I've talked to had all but convinced me that plasma was inferior technology and/or died within 3 years of buying it.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Don't know many videophiles and most friends I've talked to had all but convinced me that plasma was inferior technology and/or died within 3 years of buying it.
Those are unfortunate and common myths about plasma technology. In fact, plasma market share grew last year and they are just as reliable as LCD sets. They definitely offer the best picture for the money and most would agree that the Pioneer Kuro sets are the best available of any type of TV.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
After quite a while of mulling over a plasma purchase, my brother finally got one. I gave it my approval. ;) Panasonic TH-C50FD18. 50", 1080p, supposedly the same as the 80u series, except with addition of PC input. Looks great. :D $1,199 at Costco, 2 left after the purchase, and standard is the 90 day return policy, no questions asked, and extended 2 yr warranty, for free of course. If anything happens to the tv, you basically get to trade in for full credit. I know, pretty insane CS. :cool:

Brother was a bit disappointed that the component connections from Xbox don't work on the new TV! He now needs to buy a $50 hdmi adapter for it. I'm guessing stoopid HDCP crap. :eek:

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
That's interesting. I actually haven't seen any TVs with 24p yet and most of my interest was just that my HT is primarily for movies, so can you recommend me some TVs I could find at a BB with a high quality 24p mode? Largely just so I can see if it's worth waiting for a higher quality 24p feature on cheaper sets.

And thanks for the Panasonic 42PZ85u recommendation. Don't know many videophiles and most friends I've talked to had all but convinced me that plasma was inferior technology and/or died within 3 years of buying it.
Fwiw not many displays handle 24p well. The plasma recomedations made will give you the best pq for the money. The main problem with lcd panels is resolving motion and have lower resolution doing so

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I second The Panasonic TH-42PZ85u. It handily beats any LCD that price range and even considerably higher. I would take it over a Samsung 650 series LCD any day. The closest Samsung is an 850 LED backlit for a considerable premium and I wouldn't even take that with it's mediocre viewing angles and halo effect. If you want to go bigger the TH-46PZ80u is hard to beat for $999. No LCD would come close.
No disrespect but have you even seen an 850? Because with your comment about "mediocre viewing angles and halo effect" I'd have to guess that you haven't. The viewing angle rivals anything out there. Did you even read Tom Landry's review of the 750? For what it's worth I compared side by side against a 50" 1080p Panny plasma and bought the LN52A850.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I have experience installing the Samsung 850 series LCDs and I have directly compared the 50" 850 to a Panasonic 50PZ85 and Pioneer 5020; all properly calibrated. When I say mediocre viewing angle I'm talking in respect to those plasma displays. In relation to other LCDs the 850 has a very good viewing angle but the difference is very obvious in a dark room sitting next to two plasma displays. The same goes for the halo effect caused by the local dimming LEDs. The 850 series is an excellent LCD but it still comes up short in my opinion when compared to lesser priced plasma competition.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Buying a Plasma or LCD would really depend what your needs are? With LCD most people can just plug & play and be very content with the results in all room condition and by all accounts plasma requires properly treated rooms and calibration to really excel. So for the AJ the decision is easy, but if you feel you want the best and willing to go the extra mile than buy a plasma. At this point I'm not convinced Plasma is better!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Plug and play is for lcd or any other display. All need tweaking due to temendous variance set to set off the line. Look for displays shipping with calibration toòls built in.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis