Yeah, I get to replace an Ulitma2 tweeter

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Somehow I thought a science & measurements company like Revel was beyond that. Revel still claims "pure beryllium". And they've expanded their use of Be tweeters, but that crease is damned peculiar.
I decided to check on-line and got conflicting info.

Per Wikipedia:
Beryllium is a steel gray and hard metal that is brittle at room temperature and has a close-packed hexagonal crystal structure.
Per MatWeb:
Beryllium is one of the lightest metals and has a high strength-to-weight ratio, stiffness-to-weight ratio, and very high specific heat, thermal conductivity, and heat of fusion. It has significant ductility, is readily machined and can be rolled, drawn, or extruded.
Regardless, it is an exceptional tweeter!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I decided to check on-line and got conflicting info.

Per Wikipedia:

Per MatWeb:

Regardless, it is an exceptional tweeter!
May depend what Be reaction is to heat. For example, to make aluminum bendable, or soft enough to be formed, it needs to be annealed. T6 resists bending and will crack if forced, but there is an annealed version that is bendable. I often anneal aluminum stock in which to form it. It goes from a rigid material to almost putty like. It also has a shelf life with regard to how long the annealing treatment lasts, before slowly returning to it's pre-annealed state, somewhat at least.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
That tweeter didn't look that dead to me. It looks like a little blue tape might pop that crease out. Or maybe a little vacuum suction, carefully administer, might draw it out into the realm of being a DIY'er's answer to a Frankenstein center. Anyway, if it's junk to you, I'm pretty curious to see what can be done with it. And I'm local.

Did it sound off?
Maybe you could put a lip lock on that puppy and suck the dent out. ;)

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Cats, never. And my biggest dog might be 20 pounds. Last dog we had that chewed furniture was re-homed 4 months after we got her. I have zero tolerance for animals that cause property damage. I'll probably padlock the door to my study when the grandkids are old enough to open doors on their own.

One of my F30's has dimples in the tweeter. Just to appease my OCD I emailed about the replacement cost. When they told me $300, I found my OCD had been cured.

BTW, the F30 tweeter is as the OP described, with the "floaty" surround. Revel also told me that one can't replace the domes and the entire tweeter assembly must be bought.

RichB

RichB

Here is the pricing I received from Harman Luxury Audio Parts:

Thank you for your inquiry. Please see P&A listed below
  • The tweeter part# is: N354881-001 - In stock $960.35 each
  • Studio 2 Grilles part# N354929-001 - In stock $583.52 each
  • Salon 2 Grilles part# N354828-001 - In stock $549.36 each
Heavy sigh.

- Rich

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The tweeter part# is: N354881-001 - In stock $960.35 each
Cat 4 Sale.

Do you want to try repairing the dent first? If it works and you get a new one anyway, it might have value to you as a back up.

RichB

RichB

Cat 4 Sale.

Do you want to try repairing the dent first? If it works and you get a new one anyway, it might have value to you as a back up.
Yes, I might give it a go after receiving the replacement.

- Rich

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

Heavy sigh.

- Rich
I mentioned to my wife I thought the replacement tweeter would be about $1000, but I was hoping I was wrong.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I mentioned to my wife I thought the replacement tweeter would be about $1000, but I was hoping I was wrong.
Lucky he didn't have to buy a matched pair. There might have been no end to the heavy sighing.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

Heavy sigh.

- Rich
Got to love our pets!

There is no such thing as a "free kitten"...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis