Yami HTR-5250 & Dynaudio 52's

L

Lagger

Audioholic Intern
Just picked up some Dynaudio's and ditched my old Yamaha towers. Breaking them in now :D Im currently running this set-up with the 52's as my main speakers and have the amp set-up to run a 4 ohm load to the fronts. My question steams from whether any damage can be caused to my Sub. Im not running an RCA thru the LFE to the sub, rather just a direct split speaker feed from my front main output(4 ohm). Will this cause any damage to the sub's amp or anything else? Thanks

L

Lagger

Audioholic Intern
Bump.

A 4 ohm load into a 8 ohm rated sub amp, any problems? Thanks :)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
1.How did you set-up the amp for 4ohm? It should be set to 8ohm.
2.Why are you not using LFE out?
3.How are you running mains & sub on the front?

L

Lagger

Audioholic Intern
1. There's a switch on the back of the receiver that lets you choose between a 8 ohm and 4 ohm setting.

2. Because it will only play on DSP/ Digital modes. No 2-channel action. Plus the internal receiver signal doesnt give it the kind of volume I would like it to have.

3. Im running them in series. One set to my fronts and one set to the speaker level input on my sub.

This worked great on my old set-up where my towers were 8 ohm, but now I have switched it to a 4 ohm load, Im afraid it will damage my subs amp :(

zumbo said:
1.How did you set-up the amp for 4ohm? It should be set to 8ohm.
2.Why are you not using LFE out?
3.How are you running mains & sub on the front?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Oh. I have the rx-v series. I figured the options would be similar. My sub is on in 2-channel stereo & off in direct stereo mode. I have a 6ohm & 8ohm option, but no 4ohm option. :confused:

What do you mean by series? I don't see how you can wire three speakers in series to two terminals?

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
If your receiver will allow speakers A anb B to play simultaneously, you may want to try that.

Are you sure there is no way to get the sub to play using the LFE out?

L

Lagger

Audioholic Intern
Well, when switched over, mine sends a 4 ohm signal to the fronts only, and 6 ohm signal to all other channels(rears,center). Otherwise it's 8 ohms all around.

My recollection on the modes the sub playes and doesnt play are not too clear. All I remember is that with it hooked up to the LFE on high and the gain on the sub turned up to high, it was weak. And it's obviously the receiver thats not giving it the signal it needs, cause it playes plently loud thru the line-level inputs. I think Yamaha fixed this on following models.

It runs in series because they are 2 speaker level inputs on the sub (L/R). One front speaker per terminal and 1/2 side of the sub amp per terminal.

zumbo said:
Oh. I have the rx-v series. I figured the options would be similar. My sub is on in 2-channel stereo & off in direct stereo mode. I have a 6ohm & 8ohm option, but no 4ohm option. :confused:

What do you mean by series? I don't see how you can wire three speakers in series to two terminals?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
On page 36 of your manual it states to set the sub output to BOTH to send a signal to your sub using the LFE output for 2-channel. This should solve your problem. :)

L

Lagger

Audioholic Intern
Thanks. I'll go ahead and do that and see how it turns out.

Im just worried it wont give me the same performace. hmmm

zumbo said:
On page 36 of your manual it states to set the sub output to BOTH to send a signal to your sub using the LFE output for 2-channel. This should solve your problem. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis