Yamaha YSTSW215 Active Subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
It is not really a sub but a bass moduel in true sense, there is no humming as long as the cables are connected prorperly and are of good quality, as bass modules go, this one is quite good for the price you pay and the active servo technology makes this sound quite big for its size. For a true sub, check out Yamaha's YST-SW315/800/1500.

U

Unregistered

Not a Sub??

Re YST sw 215 being a bass module. Odd that someone would have the audacity to say that YST-SW 215 is a bass module and then in the same breath say that the YST-SW 315 is a sub-woofer. Sure the amp power is higher on the 315 but the technology is the same. This is the trouble with most forums, opinions are expressed that would otherwise be ignored in serious conversation....

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Now that's something I never thought I'd see- Yamahaluver dissed for not showing a Yammie sub "the love"! :eek: ;)

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Unregistered said:
Re YST sw 215 being a bass module. Odd that someone would have the audacity to say that YST-SW 215 is a bass module and then in the same breath say that the YST-SW 315 is a sub-woofer. Sure the amp power is higher on the 315 but the technology is the same. This is the trouble with most forums, opinions are expressed that would otherwise be ignored in serious conversation....
As far as I can recall, the 215 is a front firing unit versus the SW 315 being a downfiring unit. If you see the performance specs, you can very well justify my calling it a bass module, even Yamaha techs call it that.

As for serious conversation, audio opinions are strictly subjective and never objective just like what it reproduces, music.

U

Unregistered

Wrong again Yamielover

Yamielover:

It's Great and I am sure appreciated you love the Yamaha products so much but it's time to check out the Yamaha site on the products you profess to know so much about; you may learn something. The YST SW-215 IS downfiring. I would tend to agree with the last posts observations. I hope no one is actually taking you too seriously as a point of knowledge. Credibility is a fragile element.

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
Well, this thread is getting interesting...

In response to the original poster: I purchased an SW215 several months ago to fill a void until I decided which sub I really wanted (eventually bought a SVS). For the price, it was a good performer. Initially, it was placed on a carpeted floor but the sound seemed to be 'muffled.' So I placed a 1 inch thick board between the sub and the carpet and the improvement was significant - a much better low freq experience!

I noticed the link in your post was to a UK website and listed the price of the SW215 at 140 pounds. I don't know the currrent exchange rate but I paid 150 US dollars and as I stated before, I think it was a good value for that price.

-GeorgeM

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Unregistered said:
Yamielover:

It's Great and I am sure appreciated you love the Yamaha products so much but it's time to check out the Yamaha site on the products you profess to know so much about; you may learn something. The YST SW-215 IS downfiring. I would tend to agree with the last posts observations. I hope no one is actually taking you too seriously as a point of knowledge. Credibility is a fragile element.

No Mr. Sarcasm, I don't have time to go to Yamaha site and study cause don't have the luxury of whole day for doing so unlike you and personally, I don't really care but thanks for the correction. To me, true Yamaha subs start from the 800 and peaks with the 1500 with the 315 filling in a good price/performance factor. Never professed to know about Yamaha, I am just a Yamahaluver.

U

Unregistered

Sub-Sensitivity

Your sensitivity level appears to almost matches that of a good Hi-Fi speaker. I do apologize if you preceive that I have offended your "forum honour" with my observations.

It appears your lack of knowledge and keen willingness to engage in electronic conversation, within that confine, have caught up with you; as it does with most, who offer frivilous opinion in forums with an obvious lack of knowledge. Of course, your response at being corrected speaks volume.
It also leads one to make the very same observation made in a previous thread that corrected you; beware of advice in forums as many who participate have suspect knowledge and, as another put it, "would otherwise be ignored in serious conversation" on the same subject. I trust in your actual academic education, or career, that you had a differing attitude about studying and knowledge when sharing it with peers. You give text book meaning to preception being reality, and ignorance being bliss with your continued responses.

I really do feel bad for those that have taken your self "knowledge" seriously in the past within the confines of this excellent forum and who may have discarded or purchased something based on your info alone, without having first checked the relevant facts and figures out for themselves, or, at least other selected opinions on this site and others.

As for your observation on a real sub-woofer; sounds like you are compensating for something....

Good Day

S

sheep

hey, take off.

So yamahaluver got a couple things wrong, big F*cking deal. This is a forum designed to help people with audio/video questions and concerns. If all you are going to do all day is troll around the forum, or at least this thread, and start fights, all have to say is take off, we don't want you here.

And yamahaluver know what hes talking about being a yamaha user myself. Just read some of the yamaha products reviewed here.

sheep

U

Unregistered

sheep-ish comments

My what a dastardly rude area of the forum.

It's really quite sad how defensive some "regular" forum users get when someone from the outside weighs into their "public" forum; "your'e trolling the forums" "you have nothing better to do than start fights", "whah whah whah" so to speak. One does not have to join a forum for legitimacy and most that are "trolling" are I think probably looking for quick answers to specific questions, or, are doing so for interest sake. In this case, reading the responses to amusing criticism it appears this forum is an exception to most. It is also amazing the presumptions or rather ***-umptions that are made as well so quickly by members "circling the wagons" to a preceived attack. I applaude the correction of Yamielover. I also hope most of the persons using this forum are getting great info out of it, which I believe in the long run they probably are. However, I also hope they are able to recognize and ignore the obvious misinformations, and, misinformed; a few of whom appear to be taking themselves much too seriously and only display a lack of maturity with their sad responses to amusingly valid criticisms and observations.

Another Casual Reader

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Sheep, Thanks for the word of support.

Unregistered, If you think I dont know anything about Yamaha, that is your opinion and you have every right to it and also to ignore my posts. Those who wish to read my posts or take my uneducated advise are free to do so too, dont try and sway them away, let then form their own opinion. As for the real sub comment, dont have to compensate for anything, thankfully I have everything I need and desire.

R

remmib

Enthusiast
Leetheman said:
Does anyone on here have this subwoofer? if so is it anygood? also is it silent when switched on, what I mean is does it make a humming sound?

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetails/index.asp?modelcode=YAM-YSTSW215&affiliateid=82

Thanks
Lee.
This thread certainly got side tracked, return to the orginal question on the YST-SW215:
I bought it a month a ago as I like the look and the small form factor, and the price is pretty good. Eventually returned the sub (and got a HSU) as I find the sound is a bit muddy and boomy.
For the price ($150 in store, and $99 online), the performance is good.

It would be nice for aggressive guest posters to log in once in a while. The community here has pretty thick skins, but it's downright annoying when anonymous posters go on the offensive with very little provocation.

Thread closed - but please feel free to repost your original question that unfortunately got hijacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis