Yamaha YST-SW216 Problem

21balu

21balu

Audioholic Intern
I recently got YST-SW216 sub woofer, i plug in to input source 110v and i got a green indication light, relay is activating but no humming sound, and i plugged in to input to RCA L and checked but still there is no sound, so i opened and checked all componenets visually, i found there is no physical damage to the circuit components and checked voltage across STK 404 PIN no.5 found 14.21V. i stuck there can anyone solve this problem.
i have all types of electronic equipment like soldering iron, multimeter and etc.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Which reciever and what subwoofer related settings (crossover, speaker settings, sub set to one/on)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21balu

21balu

Audioholic Intern
HI
Receiver is YAMAHA YSP 3000, I set inside settings subwoofer as service manual

21balu

21balu

Audioholic Intern
I have a doubt if I switched on subwoofer without amplifier input, can I get any sound from woofer, if it is not tell me what I have to check from starting

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Does the ysp3000 have a subwoofer out?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I have no experience at all with soundbars so dont know how they are set up. Are you able to connect the sub to something else to check if any woofer movement like a nother system or a phone?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
You did this from the manual?

«Connect the monaural input jack on your subwoofer to the SUBWOOFER OUT jack on this unit.
This connection alone does not output sound from the connected subwoofer. To output sound from the connected subwoofer, turn on the power of your subwoofer and then run AUTO SETUP (see page 35) or select SWFR for BASS OUT in SUBWOOFER SET (see page 78).»

Edit: what is the volume knob on the sub set at?

21balu

21balu

Audioholic Intern
Ya I did all above when I switched on sub. Power LED is On, but no sound or humming sound.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
When you play something you know have a lot of bass lightly touch the soft rim around the woofer cone, can you feel any vibrations?
Also what volume do you have the subs volume knob at?

21balu

21balu

Audioholic Intern
No nothing sound, first message itself I mentioned that there is no sound only power led lit,
Can u go little bit circuit side.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I cant help with the internal bits and measurement of these, but usually the problem is in the setup of source/sub itself. Have you tried with sub volume knob at max with a bluray movie or something you know for sure has a subwoofer track?

21balu

21balu

Audioholic Intern
Ya I tried all above, can u tell me one thing, is if I switch on power of sub any sound comes from subwoofer or not (like normal 2.1 speaker systems)

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Ya I tried all above, can u tell me one thing, is if I switch on power of sub any sound comes from subwoofer or not (like normal 2.1 speaker systems)
Only if its set up right (and working)
Was there no sound when you connect to another source like a phone or another system?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently got YST-SW216 sub woofer, i plug in to input source 110v and i got a green indication light, relay is activating but no humming sound, and i plugged in to input to RCA L and checked but still there is no sound, so i opened and checked all componenets visually, i found there is no physical damage to the circuit components and checked voltage across STK 404 PIN no.5 found 14.21V. i stuck there can anyone solve this problem.
i have all types of electronic equipment like soldering iron, multimeter and etc.
Have you connected a line RCA source to the sub input? If not do it. If no sound the sub is a dud.

Class D sub amps are very high failure items. They are miserable to trouble shoot and not worth the trouble and or expense.

That unit seems particularly miserable, and far too cheap for something that complex with a servo woofer. So you can't use a generic amp. Unless it is under warranty, I fear the recycling center is its appropriate designation.

I see that unit is already discontinued.

21balu

21balu

Audioholic Intern
Ok can u tell me, how to check yamaha ysp-3000 subwoofer output with multimeter.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok can u tell me, how to check yamaha ysp-3000 subwoofer output with multimeter.
You can't do it properly with a multimeter. But if you send an LF signal do it, you should record an AC voltage. However if there is a voltage there, then you will hear sound from the sub. To get the information properly you need a signal generator and o-scope.

It is clear to me that you don't have the knowledge, equipment and experience to trouble shoot this sub.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
According to the schematic there are several fuses, the one that might have blown is a 125 V 1.6A fuse, did you check it?

Also look like you can buy parts from Sears, their parts list show only 1 fuse, referred to as fuse 6A, I am not sure that's an error, because the 125 V 1.6A one makes sense to me, and it is right from the schematics.

https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_yst-sw216.pdf/download.html

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/ystsw216/1217/0311400.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis