Yamaha YSP-1 Digital Sound Projector

S

Sadar

Audiophyte
Does this unit require a receiver like the Yamaha RX-V2500 or does it function on it's own?
I like both of these products and not sure if I have to buy them both or just the YSP-1 and a subwoofer to get a decent home theater system. Pretty new to all of this so be kind.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Sadar said:
Does this unit require a receiver like the Yamaha RX-V2500 or does it function on it's own?
I like both of these products and not sure if I have to buy them both or just the YSP-1 and a subwoofer to get a decent home theater system. Pretty new to all of this so be kind.
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you.
Great question. You wouldn't know it by going to Yamaha's website, would you? That is a self contained, powered speaker system. You hook it directly up to the tv, and can hook up a powered subwoofer to the unit if you so choose. It lacks bass, so it would be recommended. Keep in mind, there is no FM tuner or dvd player. Audioholics did a very good in depth review on this unit. If you have time, check it out.
www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/resources/Yamaha_YSP1_12pgs.pdf

S

Sadar

Audiophyte
Thanks very much for the welcome. I read the review and it was glowing to say the least.
I already have a DVD player and the only time I really listen to the radio is in my car. (although satelite radio could change that? who knows...I'm waiting for more of a component-style satelite radio piece for the home before buying that, but that's another topic entirely.)

The YPS-1 looks great. I live in a rental home, and to set this up seems much easier to me than trying to perform the required surgeries to mount all the speakers and such. (My landlord would not like that too much I'm sure)
It also looks like it would be easier to move the thing if you wanted as rearranging the furniture is something that happens sometimes here, and who wants to redo all the speaker mounts to do that? Not me.

So far my only concern is that I really wanted to have some sound in multiple rooms. From what I read, this is called zoning I think. This unit wouldn't offer surround sound to multiple rooms of course, and I don't see any feature to output something to another zone like a standard receiver has. Or am I missing how to do that? I would basically want to be able to have CD music in the living room, office and maybe bedroom. The living room through the YPS-1 and the other rooms with smaller satelite type speakers. (not necessarily all at once either. Most likely just one room at a time would be desired)
Maybe there is a way to just hook speakers up directly to the CD player or buy one that I can do that. (Do CD players exist that do zoning without a receiver?) Sounds from the other components wouldn't be needed in the other rooms.
Input would be appreciated, but what I really want to know is how to do this type of output. Any ideas?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis