Yamaha YPAO RSC question

• Thread starter Boomzilla the Original
  • Start date
B

Boomzilla the Original

Audiophyte
I know that Yamaha offers multiple "flavors" of YPAO and YPAO-RSC on their products. I own a new Yamaha RX-V6A audio video receiver.

I've run YPAO in a 5.2 configuration. For movies, this sounds fine. However, most of my listening is 2-channel stereo. The sound has frequency and phase problems. In fact, the system sounds best (for stereo) with YPAO off. Talking to my audio amigos, this is not uncommon.

As an experiment, I told the AVR to create faux 5.2 channel signals from two channel sources. Then I disconnected the rear speakers (lest my wife trip over the wires at night and yell). The resulting three-channel front sounds a LOT better than plain 2-channel stereo.

This leads me to ask why. I know that YPAO measures each speaker individually and compensates for room effects. My question is: Does YPAO also (electronically) compensate for speaker-to-speaker interferences? In other words, If YPAO is compensating for how the speakers interact with each other, and I then effectively remove some of the speakers (like the center for stereo listening), are the front R/L speakers trying to compensate for a center channel that's no longer there?

If so, that would explain how the R/L speakers don't sound right with YPAO on. But if YPAO is only compensating for each speaker's interaction with the ROOM, then the front R/L should sound better in stereo - not worse.

I think (although I haven't confirmed it yet) that I can store multiple YPAO configurations. If so, I might try running YPAO again with all speakers disabled BUT the front R/L (and label that YPAO "stereo").

SO, TO CLARIFY, my questions are as follows:

1. Does YPAO -RSC compensate for speaker-to-speaker interferences?
2. If so, should I run a separate YPAO profile for stereo only?
3. Should I not worry about this and just run the 3-channel fronts at all times?

Thanks so much!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I know that Yamaha offers multiple "flavors" of YPAO and YPAO-RSC on their products. I own a new Yamaha RX-V6A audio video receiver.

I've run YPAO in a 5.2 configuration. For movies, this sounds fine. However, most of my listening is 2-channel stereo. The sound has frequency and phase problems. In fact, the system sounds best (for stereo) with YPAO off. Talking to my audio amigos, this is not uncommon.

As an experiment, I told the AVR to create faux 5.2 channel signals from two channel sources. Then I disconnected the rear speakers (lest my wife trip over the wires at night and yell). The resulting three-channel front sounds a LOT better than plain 2-channel stereo.

This leads me to ask why. I know that YPAO measures each speaker individually and compensates for room effects. My question is: Does YPAO also (electronically) compensate for speaker-to-speaker interferences? In other words, If YPAO is compensating for how the speakers interact with each other, and I then effectively remove some of the speakers (like the center for stereo listening), are the front R/L speakers trying to compensate for a center channel that's no longer there?

If so, that would explain how the R/L speakers don't sound right with YPAO on. But if YPAO is only compensating for each speaker's interaction with the ROOM, then the front R/L should sound better in stereo - not worse.

I think (although I haven't confirmed it yet) that I can store multiple YPAO configurations. If so, I might try running YPAO again with all speakers disabled BUT the front R/L (and label that YPAO "stereo").

SO, TO CLARIFY, my questions are as follows:

3. Should I not worry about this and just run the 3-channel fronts at all times?

Thanks so much!
Do you like your system with YPAO off? That is the first question for you.

If you have a good system and a pretty decent room, I see no justification for those correction systems at all.

It is doctrine those systems have to be used. They don't.

I think personally they got a start as there are so many lousy speakers about.

I can see absolutely no reason why in a good system they should be necessary.

I have three systems and Audyssey downgrades all three whatever you try and do with it.

These "correction" systems are grossly overhyped and oversold.

B

Boomzilla the Original

Audiophyte
We are preparing to move. I sold my absorbers and diffusers and now my room’s an echo chamber. Looks like it will take longer to move than we originally thought. YPAO is an interim solution until we get moved and I can properly treat a listening room in a new house.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We are preparing to move. I sold my absorbers and diffusers and now my room’s an echo chamber. Looks like it will take longer to move than we originally thought. YPAO is an interim solution until we get moved and I can properly treat a listening room in a new house.
See what happens. A room we had at our former lake home was a massive echo chamber and sounded marvelous. One of the best rooms I ever had.

B

Boomzilla the Original

Audiophyte
3.0 sounds marginally OK (but only with YPAO). 2.0 profoundly sucks (without YPAO), but sucks much worse WITH YPAO!

B

Boomzilla the Original

Audiophyte
If nobody here has a definitive answer to my YPAO questions (likely since this is a highly technical question), can anyone suggest how I can research this question further?

thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What are you measuring your phase and frequency issues with?

YPAO probably attempts to somewhat correct for interference, have no idea how well or how it goes about it myself. YPAO details perhaps from Yamaha? Maybe avsforum.com has a few threads exploring it? Do a search on threads here on AH like this? https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ypao+explained+details+site:audioholics.com&atb=v441-1&ia=web

If you like the upmixed 2ch to 3ch, then use it, preference isn't the same as reference in any case.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Thanks so much!
The V6A has the R.S.C. multi point, ie. the level 3 (total of 5) as described by Yamaha.

1. According to Yamaha:
YPAO also sets the right amount of delay to each speaker to ensure your ears are receiving all the sounds at the same exact time.
So, yes, to a point, but it should mainly affect the lower range frequencies such as from 20 to 300 Hz.

2. No, it is irrelevant in theory because if you don't use those other speakers, there won't be any delays to deal with anyway.

3. In theory, if YPAO does what Yamaha intends for it to do then your best bet is to run the complete system, whether it is 5.1, 7.1 or more, even if you only listen to stereo, or mono.

As with all RC systems, your best bet is to follow the instructions to the letter, there may be all kinds of different ways different users do and claim they worked better, but you can't listen to forum talks that are based on subjective experiences of the individuals, all well intended but you can't tell if you will like the results if you follow their ways. It is better to do it the right/Yamaha way, and then if you don't like the results, you can save the profile for future reference and then try different tweaks to your liking and then save that profile as well so you compare the two back and forth, and hopefully find your own sweet spot for your own set up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis