Yamaha YPAO Crossover on speakers

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What about using a cheap 10” sub with towers is it best to set fronts to 80hz or 40 as xt32 sets it? I’ve tried 60 in Can’t hear any difference.
Low quality subs aren’t exactly flat.
Depends on the “towers”, and the room. Most “decent” towers wouldn’t be bolstered much by a “cheap 10” sub”. Even if the little sub provides more extension, a good tower will usually be pretty sensitive and easy to drive, providing a great deal of dynamic capability. Most 10” subs I know of will run out of steam long before the towers do. Especially if the room is large, and on concrete. Audyssey sets my 12” mains to full, but I’ve settled on 80hz. I’ve run them at 40 and 50 for long stretches, as my mains do a really nice job with midbass. In MY setup, going to 90hz and above makes the room sound tubby. It’s possible that my house curve would need an adjustment to help with that, but 80hz works fine.
Hearing differences in the 40-80 takes time and close listening. Bad setup can make this even harder.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Depends on the “towers”, and the room. Most “decent” towers wouldn’t be bolstered much by a “cheap 10” sub”. Even if the little sub provides more extension, a good tower will usually be pretty sensitive and easy to drive, providing a great deal of dynamic capability. Most 10” subs I know of will run out of steam long before the towers do. Especially if the room is large, and on concrete. Audyssey sets my 12” mains to full, but I’ve settled on 80hz. I’ve run them at 40 and 50 for long stretches, as my mains do a really nice job with midbass. In MY setup, going to 90hz and above makes the room sound tubby. It’s possible that my house curve would need an adjustment to help with that, but 80hz works fine.
Hearing differences in the 40-80 takes time and close listening. Bad setup can make this even harder.
If I notice any difference unless it’s on Netflix(which I don’t watch a lot in this room),
even then I gotta turn sub off to notice anything different in 40-80.
spectrum app has compressed audio/video. I could run the fronts full range and it won’t make any difference on anything..
spectrum app is so bad I made a thread in tv section for it . So far can’t get it too look watchable on a 4k tv..

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
What about using a cheap 10” sub with towers is it best to set fronts to 80hz or 40 as xt32 sets it? I’ve tried 60 in Can’t hear any difference.
Low quality subs aren’t exactly flat.
Cheap speakers are worth every penny. If the speaker isn't good, leave it alone and wait to find something better. Churning through equipment that you don't like is a long, painful slog and eventually, you may become so frustrated that you give up. Unless you can hear an improvement after buying something, there's no point in the purchase. The saying 'Just because you can, doesn't mean you should' exists for a reason.

S

Slipkids88

Junior Audioholic
All,

Need some advice, Can you guide me with cross settings on the below gear.

Yamaha Rx-a6a avr
Revel concerta Tower F36 R C L channels. (51- Hz Frequency Response)
2 6/1/2 atmos in ceiling c263's
2 6/1/2 surrounds in wall W263's
Dual sub svs pb 1000

S

Slipkids88

Junior Audioholic
All
Subwoofer Layout on the - Rx- A6a avr

Would you use Monaural(2x) or Left & Right?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Probably start crossing at 80 and experiment above and below from there, but measuring response would be best. Sub pre-outs on the Yamaha are not only independent subs but also can do specific left/right to match the mains? Sub pre-outs are typically mono, tho, so that's the way I'd lean.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis