L

lw532

Enthusiast
I need help choosing between the Yamaha RXV650 and the Denon 1705. They are both about the same price. They will be matched with either a Paradigm cinema 110 package or Energy Encore package, again about the same price. If you can suggest which speaker package is better that would be great as well. I've got a Hitachi TV with built in DVD player so there won't be a whole lot connected to the receiver, besides two more speakers on the second zone.

Thanks

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
They are both fine entry-level receivers. Pick the one that has the features that you like the best. I lean towards Dennon myself (I have a 2805).

As far as the speaker packages go, have you heard either? If so, which sounds best to you? Is this for a bedroom system or are they going into a larger room? I would not pick either one if you plan on filling a larger room with sound.
With the Cinema's you would probably have to set your crossover frequency at 120Hz, and will be able to localize the lower frequencies coming from the sub. I would look into slightly larger speakers such as Paradigm's Performance series, which can reach below 80Hz with some authority.
Even the Energy's are a bit of a compromise, since I doubt they go down to 70Hz with any authority and would most likely have to set the crossover at at least 100Hz to avoid gaps in frequency range. The EnergyTake 5.2 series may be a better choice.

Both the Encore and Cinema packages are better than your average HTIB or Bose cube system and would do a pretty fair job of filling a small room with sound. I am sure that they are both well designed surround packages, but there is only so much they can get out of 4" woofers. If you are choosing them because of aesthetic reasons or size restrictions and cannot go with larger speakers, pick the ones that sound best to you, although by specifications alone, I would pick the Energy's.

L

lw532

Enthusiast
Have you heard anything about the Energy Act 6 speakers, how do you think they compare?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
There both great packages. The cinema 110 looks promising with the larger mains and slightly larger sub. I myself would probably go with the Paradigm. But my opinion is biased due to the fact I have owned various Paradigm speakers for 6 years.

As far as receivers go. I agree with Karp.

Cheers,
Glenn

Q

quadlog

Enthusiast
The problem I've run into is the price gaps between HTib speaker packages. I can't seem to find something in the $1500-2000.00 CDN range.

Either it's cheap or too expensive for my budget. I really love the sound of the Paridgm speakers.

L

lw532

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the help and ideas, I've finally made up my mind. I'm going with the Denon 1705 receiver, Paradigm Cinema 110's, and Paradigm Stylus outdoor speakers. Total cost after haggling and taxes about $1,800.00.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis