Yamaha TSR-7790 comes on by itself

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I moved my Yamaha TSR-7790 to my bedroom after upgrading. Now this unit has been a really good one still Performs well with no issues, Except one, it has done this off and on since I've had it going on 3 years since I've had it and it is a 2015 model. What is happening is the AVR will just kick on Randomly. I can leave home come back and its on. It has turned itself on in the middle of the night or at any other time. I've noticed the only time this unit will do that is when I have the internet Wi-Fi or, will do that if its Connected with the ethernet cable. Now it has done this before at 3 other places I have lived in, Apartments. At first I Figured remote or someone with a smartphone that has the Yamaha app and just messing around. But I now live in a apartment Duplex and my Neighbor is going all day for work I. Just about every time I leave come back unit is on. And yes I checked even pulled the battery's out of the remote. Even Disconnected Ethernet cable and Disable Wi-Fi settings. Any one ever have that happen to a AVR? My Son has the Yamaha a3080 he and I where Discussing my issue with that particular AVR and he said that his Yamaha a3080 has done that a few times just kick on by itself For no apparent reason. Doesn't seem To affect anything else except that it just randomly kicks on. But only after I have Physically shut the unit down either by remote or the power button on the display. Any thoughts or suggestions or is its just a bug!

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I moved my Yamaha TSR-7790 to my bedroom after upgrading. Now this unit has been a really good one still Performs well with no issues, Except one, it has done this off and on since I've had it going on 3 years since I've had it and it is a 2015 model. What is happening is the AVR will just kick on Randomly. I can leave home come back and its on. It has turned itself on in the middle of the night or at any other time. I've noticed the only time this unit will do that is when I have the internet Wi-Fi or, will do that if its Connected with the ethernet cable. Now it has done this before at 3 other places I have lived in, Apartments. At first I Figured remote or someone with a smartphone that has the Yamaha app and just messing around. But I now live in a apartment Duplex and my Neighbor is going all day for work I. Just about every time I leave come back unit is on. And yes I checked even pulled the battery's out of the remote. Even Disconnected Ethernet cable and Disable Wi-Fi settings. Any one ever have that happen to a AVR? My Son has the Yamaha a3080 he and I where Discussing my issue with that particular AVR and he said that his Yamaha a3080 has done that a few times just kick on by itself For no apparent reason. Doesn't seem To affect anything else except that it just randomly kicks on. But only after I have Physically shut the unit down either by remote or the power button on a display. Any thoughts or suggestions or is its just a bug!
Well there is no such thing as a plain switch any more. The on/off is now a variety of flip flop circuit that is destabilized and flipped by grounding part of the circuit. Obviously that circuit in yours has a component out of spec, that allows the circuit to destabilize spontaneously. So that circuit would have to be replaced. Probably though it is part of another board which would have to be replaced.

I don't think there is an easy fix for this, so you will have to leave it unplugged if you are gone for any length of time.

I seem to remember a report of this happening before, but I don't remember on what unit. You just have to hope it will not start switching itself off, which is possible.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you Doc, That's what I wasn't hoping for if that unit starts switching off and Not being able to turn it on at a given time. Got to be a gremlin. :)
Yamaha may be the most Reliable but Yamaha isn't indestructible either. I know I've been kidding around about the Reliability of Yamaha gear being the best most reliable but their are just as many Yamaha Refurbished units on Accessories4less if not more at times. I purchased that unit as a Referred that may be the Reason whoever had it before me send it back in cause it has been doing that since i've had it.
Its just over the last 6 months are so that its starting to kick on a lot more Randomly by itself. I do have it plugged into a Power strip so turning the power off Completely won't be an issue. I gotta feeling your right Though there will come a time that unit, sooner than latter will be a nothing more than a Paperweight. Best wishes to you Doc with your Upcoming procedure.

Mike

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is the HDMI Control (ARC) set to ON ?

I heard it could do strange things. I always set my HDMI Control to OFF.

I wonder (can’t recall) if there is an Auto-Update feature like for computers, which would turn on itself.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
come think of it, I had returned all my services to Cox the cable box Router and modem. After that I went into setting of the AVR turned off HDMI control in setting on the 7790. Than I Disabled CEC on my 4K, moved the Monitor input from HDMI ARC only on the TV to a hdmi input without ARC input. Ran Optical out from the TV to a input of the 7790. It's been a week and half that AVR hadn't kick on Randomly. I haven't been using it much lately cause don't have internet running to it "wireless" anymore.
The Weird thing about all this that Yamaha 7790 is the only unit that would kick on Randomly. With I had my Sony PS4 HDMI CEC set to Enable, HDMI Monitor out to TV input HDMI ARC, I had everything running into that 7790. It was Kicking on randomly sometimes two to three times a night. I know I would hear that relay click and it's loud. Sony PS4 does a Lot of updates. My a1080 in my living room hasn't Randomly kicked on once because, may be cause that Sony PS4 has never been a Source with my a1080. I had a blu-ray player that in settings Allowed HDMI control I remember every time that bluray player did a auto update and it was off that 7790 would switch Source. Watching cable tv and switched to HDMI 1 which was the input that blu-ray player with plugged into on the 7790. Andrew you may be on to something. I had a crazy crackhead junking wife use to do crazy sh..t like move my things around or unplug whatever. She would even remove one of my speaker wires why you may ask? Crack and Meth heads will do anything when they don't get money or their way. So I started looking to see if she had been Sneaking back in here where I live now. I Caught her Climbing out of one of my windows once she had key I didn't know about she got from the landlord. But that's Another issue not related to the unit kicking on by itself.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
come think of it, I had returned all my services to Cox the cable box Router and modem. After that I went into setting of the AVR turned off HDMI control in setting on the 7790. Than I Disabled CEC on my 4K, moved the Monitor input from HDMI ARC only on the TV to a hdmi input without ARC input. Ran Optical out from the TV to a input of the 7790. It's been a week and half that AVR hadn't kick on Randomly. I haven't been using it much lately cause don't have internet running to it "wireless" anymore.
The Weird thing about all this that Yamaha 7790 is the only unit that would kick on Randomly. With I had my Sony PS4 HDMI CEC set to Enable, HDMI Monitor out to TV input HDMI ARC, I had everything running into that 7790. It was Kicking on randomly sometimes two to three times a night. I know I would hear that relay click and it's loud. Sony PS4 does a Lot of updates. My a1080 in my living room hasn't Randomly kicked on once because, may be cause that Sony PS4 has never been a Source with my a1080. I had a blu-ray player that in settings Allowed HDMI control I remember every time that bluray player did a auto update and it was off that 7790 would switch Source. Watching cable tv and switched to HDMI 1 which was the input that blu-ray player with plugged into on the 7790. Andrew you may be on to something. I had a crazy crackhead junking wife use to do crazy sh..t like move my things around or unplug whatever. She would even remove one of my speaker wires why you may ask? Crack and Meth heads will do anything when they don't get money or their way. So I started looking to see if she had been Sneaking back in here where I live now. I Caught her Climbing out of one of my windows once she had key I didn't know about she got from the landlord. But that's Another issue not related to the unit kicking on by itself.
When I had the Denon AVR-5308CI, I used the HDMI ARC feature/HDMI Control. It would sometime turn on by itself also.

So when I sold the AVR-5308 and replaced it with the RX-A3080, I made sure NOT to use the ARC input and turned anything related to ARC/HDMI Control to OFF.

Machines are gonna take over the world like in TERMINATOR if we keep on allowing all these automations! :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
When I had the Denon AVR-5308CI, I used the HDMI ARC feature/HDMI Control. It would sometime turn on by itself also.

So when I sold the AVR-5308 and replaced it with the RX-A3080, I made sure NOT to use the ARC input and turned anything related to ARC/HDMI Control to OFF.

Machines are gonna take over the world like in TERMINATOR if we keep on allowing all these automations! :D
I had some weirdness sometimes on my 2060 with a TiVo that didn’t support all HDMI features. I’ve since then replaced that TiVo with YouTube TV App on my streamers. (Firestick 4K and Apple TV 4K).

I’ve also had Airplay going from iPhone to 2060 and had the 2060 try to reconnect to the iPhone and power on. I think the iPhone was doing that though. I’m not currently using Airplay anymore since I have the two streamers. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis