Yamaha Rxv2500 receiver fan question?

F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
I own a Yamaha Rxv2500 receiver and was wondering how loud is the cooling fan on them supposed to be. I have noticed my receiver gets hot during playing movies or music for a couple hours or so, I know they get hot, but how hot do they generally get before the fan turns on because I can't hear or feel mine? I read a review a couple weeks ago about how you can set the fan on this receiver to contin. or auto. Well, I set the receiver to contin. and hear no difference in sound as if a fan has come on. What is the problem or do I have nothing to worry about? I don't want to overheat my receiver and ruin it due to a fan issue. Thanks

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
IF you set it to Cont. you should be able to tell if the fan is on. If it is not on, with it set to cont. I would be contacting either Yammy support, or the dealer where you got it from. My Yammy, and Denon run pretty hot. But they are inclosed in a DLP stands with Glass doors on the front.

F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
Looks like I will be contacting Yamaha then. The receiver plays very well, just a little concerned about the heat issue. The thing is is HOW loud is the fan when on? Is it the top vent or side vent that if on I shoukld be able to feel air? Maybe it is so quite I may not notice it on even with my ear next to it.

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
To be honest with you some times I can hear the fan on the 557 I have and some times I can not?

It hasn't shut off has it? That is the big deal.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
firefighterchri said:
I own a Yamaha Rxv2500 receiver and was wondering how loud is the cooling fan on them supposed to be. I have noticed my receiver gets hot during playing movies or music for a couple hours or so, I know they get hot, but how hot do they generally get before the fan turns on because I can't hear or feel mine? I read a review a couple weeks ago about how you can set the fan on this receiver to contin. or auto. Well, I set the receiver to contin. and hear no difference in sound as if a fan has come on. What is the problem or do I have nothing to worry about? I don't want to overheat my receiver and ruin it due to a fan issue. Thanks
They try to make fans on such equipment as quiet as possible. If they are completely successful, you should never hear it.

Can you feel the air move when you put your hand near a vent near the fan? If so, it is running, whether you hear anything or not.

J

James02

Enthusiast
RE;fan

My 2500 gets fairly hot which this amps do. I have never heard the fan but then when I am really heating it up, the sound level is pretty loud. The most importtant thing is too make sure there is at least 4 inches of open space above it and don't worry about it.

James

trevorgray

trevorgray

Audioholic Intern
This has been heated question in the past (pun intended). For most of us that own a 2500 and keep it in an enclosed space, it does run a little hot. A couple of people I have seen posts from have converted a PC fan and then plugged it into the "switched" outlet on the back of the receiver. I purchased an inexpensive fan from Target and plugged it into the switched outlet as well and pointed it so that it would blow across the top of the receiver. Even with my front door closed (I have some openings in the back) I am getting enough air flow so that the top of the receiver is cool enough so that I can lay my hand on it.

I hope this helps.

F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
snap, no it has never shut off, I was just curious as to why I haven't heard the fan kick on.

pyrrho, no I can't feel any air near the vent. Either the top or the side. But then again it may be working just not blowing enuf air to feel it.

trevorgray, I have read that also about putting a dc fan (120mm) on top and plugging it into the back of the receiver.

james02, maybe Yamaha has made the fans on these so quiet that nobody can hear them, OR they just don't work.

Thanks for all the help, I think I will buy me a dc fan on ebay today and see if that works.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
firefighterchri said:
snap, no it has never shut off, I was just curious as to why I haven't heard the fan kick on.

pyrrho, no I can't feel any air near the vent. Either the top or the side. But then again it may be working just not blowing enuf air to feel it.

trevorgray, I have read that also about putting a dc fan (120mm) on top and plugging it into the back of the receiver.

james02, maybe Yamaha has made the fans on these so quiet that nobody can hear them, OR they just don't work.

Thanks for all the help, I think I will buy me a dc fan on ebay today and see if that works.

I too own a 2500 and had concerns with the heat output when run for a 2 hr movie or listening to music for a couple hours. I contacted Yamaha and was told that even in cont mode the fan runs at different speeds according to temp. In auto mode it will turn on when reaching a certain temp(120f-130f I think). Pretty darn warm/hot. Yamaha told me that due to the fact that there are 7 amps in the thing... so go figure right? Like others have written as long as she does not shut down on you/us, then crank it up and enjoy!

btw...I set mine to cont. just to feel better about the situation.

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
You will find the fan is a variable speed unit, and as soon as the music/movie is turned down to a level where you would be able to hear the fan, it slows down so you cannot hear it. I recently had mine cranked playing music at 0dB on the volume scale for about 30 min, running speakers that varied from 4 ohms to 8 ohms. When I paused the cd player, I could hear the fan running when standing right beside the receiver, but it slowed down in 3-5 seconds to a whisper quiet speed. If you crank the volume for a while driving 7 speakers, then pause the source component, you should be able to hear the fan running.

BTW, mine's set to auto.

A

azcoyote

Enthusiast
Hello all,

I assume that with little or no load this thing must say reasonably cool then?

I am purchasing one of these for my HT but I will be using a 7 channel amp to drive my speakers instead of the Yammy.

Thanks,
Wiley

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
azcoyote said:
Hello all,

I assume that with little or no load this thing must say reasonably cool then?

I am purchasing one of these for my HT but I will be using a 7 channel amp to drive my speakers instead of the Yammy.

Thanks,
Wiley
Actually I have read that the 2500 runs warm when used as a pre/pro as well. I don't sweat it anymore and have not had a problem whatsoever. The 2500 will make a superb preamp according to reviews I have read which state that the pre/pro section of the 2500 is worth it's $1100 list price alone! I to will be adding a pwr amp mainly for stereo listening purposes.

W

wsiler

Enthusiast
Is this something that can be correct by a firware upgrade?

F

fergusonv

Audioholic
As others have said you should be able to set it to cont and it will run. The air will be blown out the left side of the unit if you are facing it. I can feel the air from mine when it is set to cont. There have been reports of units with fans that would never come on. Mine only comes on at extremely high volumes after some prolonged use and cuts off almost as soon as it is turned down.

B

bobgpsr

Enthusiast
I have an early serial # RX-V2500 and I understand that it has the older firmware that does not actually turn the fan on in Cont mode, but it will (when set to Auto mode) when the receiver gets hot. I had my rcvr shut down a few times when playing Santana Shaman, but I have nowhere near the reccomended inches of clearance above it. Ended up powering a 12 Vdc computer fan through a dropping resistor with just a 5 V wall wart plugged into the aux power outlet. It is quiet and the rcvr has never shut down since. The fan is angled to blow at the left side of the receiver.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
firefighterchri said:
Hi there fellow audio head. I am solely responsible for posting this concern more than a yr ago when at the time I owned a 2500 and had the same concern. Well, I contacted Yamaha and was told that even in continuous mode the unit has a thermostat that allows the fan to operate at different speeds depending on the temp. The tech at Yamaha quoted the temp at which the fan will engage at full speed is about 115 dgrees F. Pretty darn warm. If you think it is warm to touch at the top panel then slip your fingers under the left bottom side which would put you feeling the underside of the transformer...wow, now thats warm! I have since moved on to what I believe is a far superior unit as far as sound and build are concerned and don't have to worry with the fear of 'meltdown' any longer. Seriously, I never had the single, slightest problem with my 2500 related to heat or anything else for that matter. I would not worry about it.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I don't own a 2500 but my Panasonic receiver runs hot. The fan is completely silent. It only comes on when playing at very high volumes (-10+).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis