Yamaha RXV 2400 impedance

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
I have a question that will expose my "entry-level knowledge" of the A/V world. I have a Yamaha RXV 2400 that I am using to drive the following 7.1 speaker system:

2 JAMO D870 (front left and right)
1 JAMO D8CEN (center)
1 JAMO D8SUB
4 JAMO D8SUR

According to the lit, the 2400 will handle 6 ohm speakers. However, the D8s are 4 ohm. I’ve noticed the receiver has shut down a couple of times with a “check wiring” message. This has only happened when the system is cranked during an (audially) intense scene. I assume this is due to the receiver being overwhelmed (?) by the speakers.

I can manually set my 2400 speaker impedance to 6 ohms. It is currently defaulted to 8 ohms. This is the lowest (best) setting. Any bets on whether this will help alleviate my receiver shutdowns? Any suggestions on a different receiver to use with my system?

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
I can manually set my 2400 speaker impedance to 6 ohms. It is currently defaulted to 8 ohms. This is the lowest (best) setting. Any bets on whether this will help alleviate my receiver shutdowns? Any suggestions on a different receiver to use with my system?[/QUOTE]

I strongly recommend you to set te impedance of your receiver to 6 Ohms, otherwise, you will eventually fry your amp. This receivers ARE NOT designed to drive these loads (4 Ohms) because the mayority of home theater speakers are 6 Ohm rated. Maybe you will need an amp with a toroidal transformer.

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
Not so sure about the impedence switch

In his review of my receiver RXV2400 , Gene DellaSala states:

"I recommend the "Minimum 8 ohms" setting even for 4 ohm speakers of moderate efficiency (>89dB SPL). Yamaha includes a" 6 ohm" setting to satisfy UL as well as easing consumer concerns about driving low impedance loads. These switches step down voltage feed to the power sections which can limit dynamics and overall fidelity. My advice is to keep the switch set to "Minimum 8 ohms" regardless of the impedance of your speakers and ensure proper ventilation of the Receiver."

That's what I'm going with. I don't think there's any real chance of damaging the receiver because it's equipped with a trip that shuts it off if it is overtaxed, right? If you can provide additional details, I'd be glad to listen. I'm definitely new at this. Just trying to listen to the pros' recommendations.

I am considering a separate amp for the front speakers because Gene also recommended that as well.

I appreciate your post, and welcome more input on this matter.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis