Yamaha RXA-3050 shut off problem

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Can you clarify what you said about the speaker level outputs on the B&W sub? Or did you mean speaker level inputs on the sub?

Music and movies are recorded differently could be one reason you may need to make adjustments for one vs the other.....perhaps simply your preference to have a healthy amount of additional bass for music, whereas you don't feel movies don't need so much...
Either way he can adjust all of that with the receiver. I know my Marantz will save settings from one source to the next. I can only assume the 3050 would do the same.

@Andy Carter, is your receiver dead now? Are you planning to repair or replace? If so, may I recommend you come here and let us help you get everything set up?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, parallel cxns will lower the impedance (i.e. a more difficult load to drive).

However, (if it was hooked up correctly) a sub-woofer speaker-level input should have a "very high input impedance" (maybe 47kohm or 100kohm for example). So, the impedance will still be dominated by the low impedance input of the actual speaker (i.e. the load won't change much).

Now, as a quick example, if you have an impedance and then add the same impedance in parallel, then the total impedance was just split in half.
Gotcha. Subwoofer = very high impedance load. Thanks slip. Something is still not hooked up right tho...

A

Andy Carter

Audiophyte
My mistake on the bw sub they are speaker level inputs not outputs sorry for the confusion. Be patient.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
OK, and exactly where in the manual does it tell you to use BOTH high level and low level inputs on that sub????

I think your best bet would be to get rid of all of these speaker-level inputs to the subs and go back to the LFE/Sub channel input ONLY. Then, learn how to control the bass properly by reading the AVR manual.
100x agree! I would do away with all speaker level connections and use the receiver lfe for bass management.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Gotcha. Subwoofer = very high impedance load. Thanks slip. Something is still not hooked up right tho...
Hang on.....BETTER to say...."amp inputs are a high impedance load"

In general, you want high impedance inputs, and low impedance outputs as design goals.

A

Andy Carter

Audiophyte
@Andy Carter, is your receiver dead now? Are you planning to repair or replace? If so, may I recommend you come here and let us help you get everything set up?

My 3050 is in for repair, i have a new 3060 coming saturday morning. If you dont Pogre id like to take you up on that offer. I really appreciate all the helpful feedback.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
This is the arrangement to set up your system in parallel, which you've done wrong. That said there's no advantage to doing this over using LFE line out if you have one.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

My 3050 is in for repair, i have a new 3060 coming saturday morning. If you dont Pogre id like to take you up on that offer. I really appreciate all the helpful feedback.
Absolutely. It's what we do here. Hit us up when you're ready to hook everything up and we'll get you sorted. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Rel is suggesting that you might like the double bass effect from using both the sub and speakers together via high level connections with your sub. You could also do away with the high level connections altogether and just use the low level connections; try the LFE+Main mode in your avr with your speakers set to large for music (somewhat along the lines of the Rel suggested setup) then revert to LFE/small for movies; otherwise I'd just set your speakers to small and use just the LFE setting in the avr.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My mistake on the bw sub they are speaker level inputs not outputs sorry for the confusion. Be patient.
Your connections are a veritable "bird's nest". That speaker system will blow up anything you power it with.

You have blown up your receiver, and repair will be costly even assuming it can be fixed. It may well be beyond repair.

Now, when you get it repaired or get a new receiver, connect, only ONE speaker, to each speaker output. Connect the subs to the LFE output.

Make sure no wires, and that includes "electric whiskers", or connectors can EVER touch each other.

Then you will have a happy life. Keep up your connection methods and you are guaranteed AV misery.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Rel is suggesting that you might like the double bass effect from using both the sub and speakers together via high level connections with your sub. You could also do away with the high level connections altogether and just use the low level connections; try the LFE+Main mode in your avr with your speakers set to large for music (somewhat along the lines of the Rel suggested setup) then revert to LFE/small for movies; otherwise I'd just set your speakers to small and use just the LFE setting in the avr.
Beat me to it...

A

Andy Carter

Audiophyte
I assumed the high level input was for music and the low level input was the .1 in a movie setup. I didnt know you couldnt use both.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Is there any chance the AVR is in protection mode, and will kick up with several hours of rest, unplugged from the wall???

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I assumed the high level input was for music and the low level input was the .1 in a movie setup. I didnt know you couldnt use both.
You're alright. You didn't know and now you do. You did the right thing by asking before repeating the same mistake. We'll help you get it all set up and a lot more stable when you're ready.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
No, not at all. High level is for someone without low-level or sub outs on their receiver or integrate. Think of this is really old school, and if you have low level sub outs use them in all cases. The AVR will have crossovers and double bass capabilities etc.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is there any chance the AVR is in protection mode, and will kick up with several hours of rest, unplugged from the wall???
Umm... I guess we don't know that. He did say he tried a factory reset with no luck. Plus a loud pop and electrical sparking noise doesn't bode well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, not at all. High level is for someone without low-level or sub outs on their receiver or integrate. Think of this is really old school, and if you have low level sub outs use them in all cases. The AVR will have crossovers and double bass capabilities etc.
Yet Rel says this in that link I posted earlier, yet doesn't really explain how this works :)

"LFE/.1 input:

The LFE/.1 input is only used when connecting your REL to a surround sound system. The LFE/.1 input can be used simultaneously with the High Level or Low Level input for seamless transition from Stereo to surround sound."

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Right, those connections are for when you don't have bass management in your receiver.

*Edit: Or "purists", I spose...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Umm... I guess we don't know that. He did say he tried a factory reset with no luck. Plus a loud pop and electrical sparking noise doesn't bode well.
After pop and sparks it should not be plugged in again. That risks further damage and could be dangerous. No amount of resetting or unplugging will bring a unit back to life after pop and spark.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, you're learning and this may be a tough lesson.

I've killed my fair share of electronics over the years, and I will likely kill a few more before I'm done. From something unwise or careless, it happens.

But, as others said, you are now in the right place to get help! We'll get you set up and enjoying your setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis