Yamaha RX-Z9 vs NEW RX-A3080

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
The CX-A5200 shows min 1.0 v too Max 6.5. The 3070 and the 3080 Only show 1.0

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Z9 or everything that was manufactured in Japan just seems to be way better built . Now I’m looking to get myself A CX-A5200. But my Z9 is going nowhere until this thing does what I needed to do I’m just not convinced DTS-MA blows Core DTS out of the water
All the DTS family sound great to me in any variety. :)

Dolby True-HD definitely blows the doors off Dolby Digital. At least in my opinion on my RX-A2060 vs my old RX-V3300 from 2003. :)

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I agree but everything blows away Dolby Digital But thankfully all Blu-rays today are provided in core DTS

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Two dealers have said that the internal guts are just about the same. And the pre-out specs are the same that’s why I looked into the 5200 preout specs
Gotcha, thought you were still more considering the avr rather than pre-pro. I did read the balanced outputs of the 5100 (here) were double that of the 3070 (but not a really fair comparison as the 3070 is unbalanced and would depend if you could take advantage of the higher output).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I agree but everything blows away Dolby Digital But thankfully all Blu-rays today are provided in core DTS
Some of my 4K UHD discs use Dolby TrueHD and lack any DTS. But I believe regular Blu-ray has DTS.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I was considering the 3080 but learned I could have the same issue. So now I will do the CX-A5200 with the monolith 200x7 But I need to find this pre somewhere I can listen first. My Z9. Kicks living ass.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some of my 4K UHD discs use Dolby TrueHD and lack any DTS. But I believe regular Blu-ray has DTS.
FWIW generally now a blu ray will either have a DTS HDMA or Dolby TrueHD soundtrack at least for the main English presentation; sometimes DTS HDMA on the main soundtrack and DD for the other languages, tho.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was considering the 3080 but learned I could have the same issue. So now I will do the CX-A5200 with the monolith 200x7 But I need to find this pre somewhere I can listen first. My Z9. Kicks living ass.
Good luck....that would mean a long drive for me :) I don't think there's anyplace that will have the Monolith amps for demo, tho.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Thank you I’ll probably just do the 200 x 5 They have them on Amazon for 1399 Because I have the Mcintosh to run my two mains. However because were talking a lot more money I’m OK with that as long as there is a significant difference Does not bother me to not have HDMI, I’m ok with switching the input on my TV And receiver So if this DTS-MA does not absolutely blow the doors off of core DTS It probably would not be worth the upgrade . The amplifier if I don’t like I can return I’m not concerned about that but the pre-pro I’m gonna have to take a trip to a dealer that I used to work for and see if they have one on display

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know that the extra bit of resolution or potential of the two extra channels with the lossless codecs will "blow the doors off" the lossy versions....

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I have the 3080 and can’t get it to work on my PB2000 sub. I’ve tried switching the sub to always on and am using a Y connection per SVS but but YAPO still says NO SUB. Any suggestions?

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Have
I have the 3080 and can’t get it to work on my PB2000 sub. I’ve tried switching the sub to always on and am using a Y connection per SVS but but YAPO still says NO SUB. Any suggestions?
Have you went into the Manual set up at all ? You can tell the receiver you have a sub Before you run YPAO. Also I would just use the LFE Jack on your sub and make sure your crossover control on the plate amp of your sub is set to LFE or all the way up.. and if you’re really picky like me I would use a sound pressure level meter and make sure your Sub volume is 75 DB with the Master volume control on your sub Make sure your independent gain controls within the receivers menu are turned to zero and make sure your master volume on your receiver is at reference level which is. 0. then turn on your manual test tones, then only using the volume control on the back of the sub get it to read 75 DB on your meter. Then run YPAO. Have your sub set to Auto bud Hope this helps

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’m not convinced DTS-MA blows Core DTS out of the water
I don’t think DTS-HD MA blows away DTS.

I don’t think TrueHD blows away DD.

It depends on the recording/encoding/mixing.

But I think Dolby Atmos and DSU/NeuralX can be a lot more fun than TrueHD and DTS-HD.

For example, in The Dark Knight Rises in DTS-HD using DTS NeuralX, duing the scene where the Batwing emerges from the dark alley, the sound is extremely cool and sounds like the Batwing is actually hovering over my roof.

But you need ceiling speakers or at least wall speakers placed above your head. :D

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Ok. I’m going to purchase a Monlith 200x5. And hook that up to my Z9 along with my McIntosh MC-252. Then down the rd I could buy the the Most current Yamaha pre

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Do any of you know a lot about the sub pre outs ? Meaning voltage ? And should one really be concerned ? I see the 3080 says 1.0 v for unbalanced and for the CX-A5200 it say 1.0 v min with a max of 6.5v. But the 3080 just says 1.0v. No max rating. That concerns me. I wonder if that was my problem with the 3070 as it has the same voltage spec as the 3080. Or I must have just made a mistake thinking that the 3070 can’t push the subs like the Z9 which is rated for 4v mono for the sub preout

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure would be nice if avrs provided better pre-out specs. I'd imagine no difference between 3070 and 3080 in any case.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Sure would be nice if avrs provided better pre-out specs. I'd imagine no difference between 3070 and 3080 in any case.
Well they are rated for the same spec. I’m just wondering if I did something wrong. The 3070 so so lifeless.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well they are rated for the same spec. I’m just wondering if I did something wrong. The 3070 so so lifeless.
Not much to do wrong when hooking up a pre-out, either it's sufficient pre-out level or not for the sensitivity of the amp you're connecting to....

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Not much to do wrong when hooking up a pre-out, either it's sufficient pre-out level or not for the sensitivity of the amp you're connecting to....
Do the pre outs fluctuate with voltage or are they constant ? Also it’s not like wattage right ? Meaning a volt is a volt Correct ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do the pre outs fluctuate with voltage or are they constant ? Also it’s not like wattage right ? Meaning a volt is a volt Correct ?
No, it's not a constant voltage, it's just pre-amplification, like your line audio signals (look at the specs for line level inputs of your various inputs, also expressed in voltage). Just ohm's law otherwise I'd assume.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis