Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
When Apple TV 4K stops playing nice with the TV and AVR it means reboot the Apple from the menu. This same scenario happens with my Fire Cube 4K even more often. It happens with Firestick 4K in another room too. (I’m using 2016 and 2017 Yamahas though)
Multiple resets have failed to change the situation unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sucks:confused: I was frustrated with my RX-V6A this afternoon. Thought I’d feel better if I went and purchased some 4K movies and a new remote control for my Apple TV 4K Gen 1. Got home, took it out of the box, hit a button and the TV, Yamaha and Apple TV 4K all turned on. You know, like they are supposed to do every single time.o_O Best remote control since my very short stint with the Nvidia Shield Pro. That was a nice one, too. We’ll see how it goes but things are looking up for the little droid and the Jawas may just have to wait for my trade in.;)

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Sucks:confused: I was frustrated with my RX-V6A this afternoon. Thought I’d feel better if I went and purchased some 4K movies and a new remote control for my Apple TV 4K Gen 1. Got home, took it out of the box, hit a button and the TV, Yamaha and Apple TV 4K all turned on. You know, like they are supposed to do every single time.o_O Best remote control since my very short stint with the Nvidia Shield Pro. That was a nice one, too. We’ll see how it goes but things are looking up for the little droid and the Jawas may just have to wait for my trade in.;)
Picked up the new remote as soon as I could. What a treat compared to the old and actually works. Love it!

Haven’t had time to spend on the AVR. Been researching an install of a new amp speakers and subwoofer into a WRX with my son. Frankly I’m a bit anxious but it’ll be fun project.

N

niyhit

Audiophyte
hello so anyone knows if the new stock rx-v6a which will be on the shelves in september/october, will have the fixed hdmi 2.1 boards?

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
hello so anyone knows if the new stock rx-v6a which will be on the shelves in september/october, will have the fixed hdmi 2.1 boards?
The rumor has it that the delay is due to the updated HDMI 2.1 board

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha confirmed this information back in June. Bad deal, but also a lesson in waiting and buying what you need and getting it out of the box instead of counting on firmware updates to get desired features. It willl be more than a year after release before the 2020 models are fully featured. Though, they will be somewhat crippled and still plagued by glitches. I’d go on about not releasing hardware before software is ready again but my little droid was free so I’m gonna’ let this one slide.;)

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Um, Yamaha.;) I wouldn’t advise anybody to buy a receiver from any maker until late 2022 if they want HDMI 2.1 full functionality. Doing more research, one will find that no combination of console, TV and receiver currently gets one every single feature of HDMI 2.1 and that is no accident as far as I’m concerned.

At some point, redesigned consoles that don’t take up as much space as a mini fridge wilI show up with new features before TVs and receivers are caught up. I stopped at the XBOX 360 and PS3 because Microsoft and Sony have never put out a console that was current in every way when they hit the shelves and one had to wait for new models for new features and some features were always left behind with the old.

It’s a dragon that can never be caught. Those currently gaming in 4K @120fps are doing so with one or more work arounds but that doesn’t mean they aren’t having a good time. The new A4A, A6A and A8A will be crippled out of the box. Firmware, not hardware updates, are said to bring them up to speed. The same was said of the 2020 models but things didn’t exactly go down that way. Won’t be gambling with my money on the new batch.

As far as the HDMI board replacements go, do people really think Yamaha would cut into sales of the new models by offering the same video capabilities in a $400 Costco exclusive versus the new Aventage models that start at $1,400? Doesn’t mean it wasn’t a s&@ty move, though. Oh, and let’s not forget that the HDMI board swap out does nothing until an even later firmware update.

I don’t think the fun had by a few warrants the frustration of many regarding HDMI 2.1 implementation in various devices. The damn thing wasn’t done yet and it will be left behind like other versions without ever completely working out the issues. You know, like ARC.;) My apologies for my rudeness in another thread but a town cryer around here we don’t need, what with all of the a$$holes such as myself popping off all of the time.:p

So, at the end of the day, there is not a single receiver from any maker currently in stock that has a complete HDMI 2.1 feature set and nothing from Yamaha coming soon will be fully functional out of the box and their 2020 models will never be fully functional. You know, like the 2020 Denons. The little black box doesn’t count.o_O Those who want it all out of the box would be wise to wait it out or get one of the new models and be frustrated from the get go. I invite those folks to come here and complain. It’s a safe space.;)

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Must have a lot free time to think of all this. Lock your doors & run for the hills folks because he's coming back in late 2022 .

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’m already here and not going anywhere anytime soon.:p Don’t have any more time than anybody else, it’s just that my Yamaha has been a pain in the a$$ for nearly a year and I’m keeping a log.;) Not saying I haven’t enjoyed it, but it has hardly been trouble free. Played around with it for awhile after updating to firmware 1.36 and went back to the Onkyo this morning. Better features and more reliable than the Yamaha overall.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I’m already here and not going anywhere anytime soon.:p Don’t have any more time than anybody else, it’s just that my Yamaha has been a pain in the a$$ for nearly a year and I’m keeping a log.;) Not saying I haven’t enjoyed it, but it has hardly been trouble free. Played around with it for awhile after updating to firmware 1.36 and went back to the Onkyo this morning. Better features and more reliable than the Yamaha overall.
i feel your pain & hope Onkyo doesn't disappoint you .

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, the Onkyo isn’t perfect, but nothing is so there you go.;)

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Regarding TSR-700 and board replacements are those available now or do we just call? It was probably somewhere in this thread earlier and I just can’t find it but if they are doing a fix for the HDMI bug I’d like to get in line for it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
PS5 may work with firmware upgrade while others require hardware upgrade? Not sure on that one and the firmware upgrade will not happen until after the HDMI board replacements and only those units that did not get upgraded would tell the tale after a firmware update. Just guessing here, though.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Enjoyed an afternoon of music yesterday after reconnecting the Yamaha a couple of days ago. It pitched a fit last night and nothing wanted to work. Audio output and ARC were a no go. I had to execute initialization. So much for all of those custom settings. Those new HDMI boards can't get here fast enough. The more I play with the Yamaha, the more I appreciate some of its features. Unfortunately, it has proven to be a very glitchy little droid. Still grateful to Yamaha for the free unit, but damn! :confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis