Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I’m familiar, but the fact that Yamaha made a point of saying that only the front speakers could be 4 ohms does not inspire confidence. I’ll wait for the more robust models.
All Yamaha AVR's that are current, are 8 Ohm front and 6 Ohms. Doesn't mean they won't drive a 4 Ohm load on Center and Surrounds. I can tell you for a fact that they can. I've have ran 4 Ohm loads on all channels with my TSR-7790 No issues. Give it a shot and see for yourself if you don't like it return it.

Last edited:
J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
besides the banding issues (which I assume will be addressed, hopefully) how's the audio and build quality - does Yamaha still allow you to boost dialog in the menus?

on the fence between the 6A and a Denon 2600X

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Didn't get it, very happy with my V6A though. I downloaded the manual off of Yamahas website it's 355 pages long. I'm really digging the "Touch" thing it's like using a Ipad.
Looks like the Yamaha RX-V6A is getting wide distribution. Today Parts Express sent an email blast offering it for $599. They have manual and Quick Start links as well.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
besides the banding issues (which I assume will be addressed, hopefully) how's the audio and build quality - does Yamaha still allow you to boost dialog in the menus?

on the fence between the 6A and a Denon 2600X
Yes there is dialog adjustments, as for the "banding" thing my V6A doesn't have that issue. As a matter of fact I thought it was up converting to 4K but it's not. It just passes though, I'm still playing around with it a lot getting Acclimated with it. This V6A is my first new AVR in years since 2015. I wanted one that was somewhat Future proof for a little while. I Usually wait a bit when a New AVR comes out for all the bugs to get worked out before I buy one. As of right now all good with my V6A. Nothing is wrong with my TSR-7790 it's just getting a lil outdated. Denon's good Stuff man, I was looking at the 3600 and 4500. But when Yamaha posted up 599 for the V6A and what it has. Was gonna get a3080 but I didn't need 9.2, I don't really need pre-amp outs on all channels. I may add a two channel amp or two monoblocks down the road. @johnner1999 PS: I forgot to add that yeah, sound is really good, the build is also good I like the New look clean, the LCD is nice the " Touch" thing is cool also.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
All Yamaha AVR's that are current, are 8 Ohm front and 6 Ohms. Doesn't mean they won't drive a 4 Ohm load on Center and Surrounds. I can tell you for a fact that they can. I've have ran 4 Ohm loads on all channels with my TSR-7790 No issues. Give it a shot and see for yourself if you don't like it return it.
Gee Whiz, you guys sound like my brother's friend Eddie. He's always getting Wally and me into trouble. I don't think I'll be able to play with you guys after school tomorrow, on account of the peer pressure and stuff. I'll just go play with Larry.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
“Come on Beaver, it’s only $399.99.” F#%kin’ Larry!View attachment 40716
@Trebdp83 Lol, You done went and picked up one? I like mine, but if it starts bugging out on me yeah it will be returned. I do have a TSR-7790 that's still Perfectly fine. It doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles. I'm still getting around this one, so far good. I do believe Yamaha has some more updates coming in December. Just a note the V6A has the same Capacitors 8200 ufs 71v as my 7790. But a bunch of new chips in it. I just wanted a Future proof unit for a few years to come and I wanted to try out DTS-X Neutral. I could really care less about the 8K thing or the 4K upscale, outside of the Dolby Vision, 10+ is what I was looking for and well just wanted a new toy for my hobby. :)

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yup, couldn't pass it up. I'll just tell Wally that Eddie stole his car money. Larry will back me up.That chubby f#%ker owes me.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Damn you guys. 399 is a steal. I don’t need it, yet! ;) Need my big 4K TV first. Still can dream can’t I? Gotta play lotto.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
Small update. May have limited this banding issue to something going on between the receiver and the TV. Sony released a firmware for the X900H and it looks like the Dolby Vision color banding is now gone but the HDR color banding from the likes of Amazon Prime and such are still there.

So from what others and myself have put together LG CX and Sony X900H may be some kind of compatibility/communication issue with the new Yamaha receivers. So for now I am running like you would a Soundbar, using it only for audio via eARC.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, I opened the box this morning and started in on the hooking up process. I didn’t know what to expect so I slid the Onkyo over on the shelf and hooked up the Yamaha TSR-700 right next to it and simply transferred wires. Once connected, I started with the settings. Calling the GUI and the remote control pieces of poop would be an insult to pieces of poop. Yikes, hours of tinkering and still not there. There are too many issues to count. The most annoying one among them being the HDR color banding. It is the least visible on the “Gemini Man” UHD disc. It is bad on anything I stream in HDR using an Apple TV 4K. I did not run YPAO or download the firmware update. I wanted to see what it would do right out of the box. I’ll tinker with it again tomorrow.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So, I opened the box this morning and started in on the hooking up process. I didn’t know what to expect so I slid the Onkyo over on the shelf and hooked up the Yamaha TSR-700 right next to it and simply transferred wires. Once connected, I started with the settings. Calling the GUI and the remote control pieces of poop would be an insult to pieces of poop. Yikes, hours of tinkering and still not there. There are too many issues to count. The most annoying one among them being the HDR color banding. It is the least visible on the “Gemini Man” UHD disc. It is bad on anything I stream in HDR using an Apple TV 4K. I did not run YPAO or download the firmware update. I wanted to see what it would do right out of the box. I’ll tinker with it again tomorrow.
This with video bypass or avr processing it?

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
What TV are you using?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
There are updates to come, but I always just do pass though anyways.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
"It said Dolby Vision!" This is what I said to myself as I woke up early this morning. I was up late tinkering with the stupid thing and I just couldn't get anywhere. Then it hit me. It's f#%ked up. Let me explain. One of the things I liked about the Onkyo TX-NR777, Apple TV 4K and my TV, the Samsung UN75MU6300, was that they usually spoke the same language and not much was lost in translation. When watching anything in HDR on the Apple TV 4K, all of my devices were in agreement that although my TV could technically accept an HDR10 signal, however limited the implementation, it could not handle a Dolby Vision signal and therefore the Apple TV 4K relabeled Dolby Vision content to HDR10. It knew the TV was crap and didn't try to shove Dolby Vision down it's throat. The Onkyo knew well enough to stay out of the way and let the TV talk to the various devices about which signals were acceptable. When signals are sent through the Yamaha, some things are lost in translation. Now, Dolby Vision content is labeled as such. Turning UHD Color off in the Samsung TV settings cuts out HDR and forces SDR in all incoming signals. The Yamaha doesn't quite get it. So, suddenly the labels in the Apple TV 4K went from Dolby Vision to 4KHDR10. Checking the input signal on the Samsung showed no HDR signal since I had turned "UHD Color" off but the Yamaha and the Apple TV 4K couldn't seem to come to an agreement. After a few minutes of switching from different content on Netflix and Disney+, the labels finally went to Ultra HD 4K as they should. If anybody is not having banding issues with HDR, I'd say an HDR signal is not actually making it's way to the TV as there are too many people with this issue using various devices and TVs for it not to be a problem with the Yamaha's ability to send HDR properly. If it is working for you, count yourself lucky. I think the terms Passthrough and Bypass get muddy in the context of sending video signals. While various signals are able to be passed through the AVR it does not mean that video processing is being bypassed. I do not believe the Yamaha is sending signals out untouched when 4K upscaling is set to OFF. Pulling up the GUI is easy enough when watching 4k content from an external device. The GUI appears over the content you are currently watching and you can make adjustments while your content plays behind it. This does not work with devices that are sending 720p/1080p. Well, not with my devices anyway. The screen goes black and after a moment the GUI comes up. The look of the GUI and this behavior remind me of the GUI from the Denon XX1's. This shouldn't be the case with a Yamaha in 2020. 4K upscaling can be set to ON or OFF but is limited in its ability to upscale some resolutions. I tried upscaling the 1080i signal from my TiVo Roamio and the Yamaha was not having it and the screen flickered a black screen while I attempted to turn off the upscaling between flickers. I figured there might be issues when considering how many features were advertised as "Available in a future firmware update." But, I didn't expect it not to be able to handle a 1080p/DTS HDMA signal from my Toshiba HD-A35. Hey, I still watch HD DVDs now and then, sue me! I had to set the player to 1080i while it downmixed the audio to lossy DTS. Should I tell you about the MusicCast app? It sucks. The Onkyo wins in a few categories here. The GUI, iOS control app, and remote control are all superior to the Yamaha. HDMI-CEC is far snappier in the Onkyo while the Yamaha has to think about what it is being asked to do for a bit. The Yamaha's current firmware and feature set do not do it any favors. Oh, and did anybody else get high off of the fumes coming from this thing out of the box. I wasn't sure I'd get all of the cables hooked up before passing out. "Ok, you long winded putz. What IS good about the Yamaha TSR-700?" It was only four hundred f#%kin' bucks! No, seriously. The Yamaha sounds so good I'll forgive it everything. But I'll save the audio experience for another post.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
Oh, and did anybody else get high off of the fumes coming from this thing out of the box. I wasn't sure I'd get all of the cables hooked up before passing out.
Lol yes my V4a had that. And for a few hours after running. It’s now burned off thankfully.

I agree with the UI. It’s feels....really lazy, in design and response. As a fresh to market product, I expected it to have bugs, but not that severely effect the experience.

Personally I think it’s a little over priced for what you get by about $100. They are riding the coat tail of HDMI 2.1 and 8k to justify the cost, but it doesn’t do you any good when you can’t use the video pass-through with the possibility of color banding.

Thankfully when I switched mine out for another one per Yamaha instructions, Best Buy gave me the extended holiday return policy. So I have until mid January to take it back if they don’t fix stuff by then.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Lol yes my V4a had that. And for a few hours after running. It’s now burned off thankfully.

I agree with the UI. It’s feels....really lazy, in design and response. As a fresh to market product, I expected it to have bugs, but not that severely effect the experience.

Personally I think it’s a little over priced for what you get by about $100. They are riding the coat tail of HDMI 2.1 and 8k to justify the cost, but it doesn’t do you any good when you can’t use the video pass-through with the possibility of color banding.

Thankfully when I switched mine out for another one per Yamaha instructions, Best Buy gave me the extended holiday return policy. So I have until mid January to take it back if they don’t fix stuff by then.
Same here, although I like the looks and all, but not having 4K upscale, HDR 10+ and all the other Features waiting on updates. Mine does do Dolby Vision, but not upscale and HDR 10+ . What? like they put all this in but can't use it till they update the firmware?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General

The fumes are from the PVC laminated top cover, yes should clear up after a few hours of running..

Just my $0.02... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis