Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I cannot seem to find anything out there on the little Imperial droid AVR. I understand they hit the street a few days ago but no official reviews yet. I was curious about which features were working out of the box and if they had pushed out any firmware updates. Anybody get one and have any info?

E

EBN

Audioholic
Google Chrome should translate to English. Only review at this point i know.

If you live in east coast you can get TSR-700 for 399$ which should be same machine as V6A. Great price!

Someone at AVSForum posted picture from Costco near fresno California.

Last edited:
X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
I picked up the V4A yesterday and it may be going back to Best Buy. There is serious color banding in HDR. SDR looks to be good from what I can tell so far. And I can run my Apple TV 4K directly to my TV and use HDR that way and it’s perfect.

I am not the only one having this issue. Another guy I saw in the comments of YouTube with a V6A is having it as well. I don’t know if it’s a firmware issue or a hardware issue. It wouldn’t let me do anything until I upgraded to the latest version so I can’t compare the two firmwares. I am going to call Yamaha today and see if they are aware of this issue.

Here are two pics I took with my iPhone. They are not the best but you can see the banding. It looks much worse in person. In the opening moments of S1E1 of See on Apple TV +, it’s unwatchable.

Attachments

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@Gmoney got his V6 yesterday. He said it downloaded and installed some updates.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
Tried to get in touch with Yamaha today. I was on hold for over a hour with the last 15 minutes as next in line before I hung up. I think they are not in todaybut have the phone lines opened up for people to call in. So I will try again tomorrow.

So for now I’m running my Apple TV 4K directly to my TV and using the TV’s optical port to transfer sound to the receiver to use my speakers. The sound over optical vs when I was using the HDMI ports is pretty poor lol. If the HDR issue can get sorted out, this will be a great receiver. What time I did use the HDMI port the sound was awesome. I loved it. Especially watching Greyhound.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
@Trebdp83 I was running though setup, I was about to start and it switched to a firmware update. So I can't say what it had right out the box. But my V6A has No issues at all. My AVR isn't having any issues with audio or video.It upscales to 4K from my cable box. There are some settings I need to find out about, like "User Interface" what is "Touch Sound"? anyone? what is it? and what does it do? in settings all you can do is "off or on" so until I know what it's for it's off for now. As of right now yeah very nice AVR. Just a note, the Caps are 8200 uf same as in my Yamaha TSR-7790.

Last edited:
X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
I was running though setup, I was about to start and it switched to a firmware update. So I can't say what it had right out the box. But my V6A has No issues at all. My AVR isn't having any issues with audio or video.It upscales to 4K from my cable box. There are some settings I need to find out about, like "User Interface" what is "Touch Sound"? anyone? what is it? and what does it do? in settings all you can do is "off or on" so until I know what it's for it's off for now. As of right now yeah very nice AVR. Just a note, the Caps are 8200 uf same as in my Yamaha TSR-7790.
Have you tried it with HDR? I had another guy say his V6A didn’t have color banding. I told him to check out the first couple of minutes of See episode 1 on Apple TV+ as it is the best way to test I’ve found so far and it shows up god awful. He reported back that his does indeed have color banding issues as well. If you have Apple TV +, I would check out See episode 1. It’s the opening scene with the skyline and sun light. Make sure it’s running in HDR/Dolby Vision.

As for the firmware Yamaha website has 1.20 as the latest, but the receiver downloaded 1.23. I am hoping there is a secret menu you can get into and will let me do a roll back and test 1.20.

Yamaha has an online manual that somewhat explains the settings on their website. I think it’s under support.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
@Xerith Yes I watched two 4K movies, GOT season 8 ES: 1.2.3 and Transformers, The Last Knight, both HDR it Instantly showed Dolby Vision on the screen no issues what so ever. Your right about the update, mine also shows firmware 1.23. can't say what it was before cause it went straight to the update as I was going though the settings. As of right now yeah very happy with it. It looks much better in person very nice clean look. The big Volume on the front panel is very sensitive as soon as you turn it .5 Increments in volume up or down.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, the setting "Touch Sound" the "Scene" under the display 1 though 4, you just Touch each one to change the Scene setting. I'm still on a learning curve here. The "Select/Enter knob is cool, you push it and you have all kinds of options, like Volume lock, umm like F. C. S. SW, lil bars pop up on each side gives you a lil light show like power meters on a amp. Still playing around with this AVR. Sure do miss the good ole days when a user manual came with your gear. Found one that gives you "system status"

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
@Gmoney if/when you get a chance, try season 2 episode 8 of The Boys on Amazon prime. Around the 41:32 mark. The sky and clouds to the left of Stormfront. The banding is easier to notice in some shows/movies than others. For example I noticed none in Greyhound. I didn’t notice in The Boy until that scene I listed above.

There a few more people popping up saying they are getting it as well. TVs from LG CX and Sony X90H. PS4 Pro, Xbox, and Apple TV users. When you say upscaling to 4K, is this your cable box or are you letting the receiver do it? Maybe it’s an input device issue but I don’t see how when I can hook it up straight to the TV and it’s perfect. Thanks.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
@Gmoney if/when you get a chance, try season 2 episode 8 of The Boys on Amazon prime. Around the 41:32 mark. The sky and clouds to the left of Stormfront. The banding is easier to notice in some shows/movies than others. For example I noticed none in Greyhound. I didn’t notice in The Boy until that scene I listed above.

There a few more people popping up saying they are getting it as well. TVs from LG CX and Sony X90H. PS4 Pro, Xbox, and Apple TV users. When you say upscaling to 4K, is this your cable box or are you letting the receiver do it? Maybe it’s an input device issue but I don’t see how when I can hook it up straight to the TV and it’s perfect. Thanks.
All of my sources are inputted to AVR than out to 4K TV. As of now No issues with Audio or Video. With that said, a lot don't run video though AVR's because of what you stated. I to believe that 4K TV will more than likely do a better job of upscaling. I do have 60 day return window just in case I do find any issues. It stays on 24/7 for now.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
All of my sources are inputted to AVR than out to 4K TV. As of now No issues with Audio or Video. With that said, a lot don't run video though AVR's because of what you stated. I to believe that 4K TV will more than likely do a better job of upscaling. I do have 60 day return window just in case I do find any issues. It stays on 24/7 for now.
Did you return the 3080?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Did you return the 3080?
Didn't get it, very happy with my V6A though. I downloaded the manual off of Yamahas website it's 355 pages long. I'm really digging the "Touch" thing it's like using a Ipad.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
I have been playing email tag back and forth with Yamaha tech. I can’t call them because of the odd ball hours (7am-1pm pst). I am at work those hours.

So far I’ve been told to take it back and switch it out. However someone on YouTube said that a Yamaha employee on reddit stated that Yahama is aware of 1.23 breaking HDR. And also of an issue with eARC randomly switching input to TV for a unknown reason. I’m trying to get a link to that post.

Here and some better pictures of the banding from See episode 1.

Attachments

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
Per Yamaha’s instructions, I switched out receiver for another one at Best Buy and it’s the same thing. We have tested multi HDMI cables and a friends Firestick with no luck. The receiver, for what ever reason, Is not capable of letting a HDR signal pass-through it’s HDMI ports without color banding.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I nearly went to pick one up at Bestbuy. Later, I almost went by Costco to get their version, the TSR-700. I’ve not owned a Yamaha receiver and the Imperial droid design has really grown on me after initially hating it. The audio and video features will be current for a bit. So, why not? Looking over the manuals for both models, I found them to be identical in their feature sets so far. I wanted to see the banding issue for myself. But, currently, I have a 5.1 setup using 4 ohm speakers. According to Yamaha, 4 ohm fronts are fine with the RX-V6A/TSR-700 but, if running more than the front channels, the rest of the speakers must be 6 ohm or higher in their Impendance. I’d hate to blow the little droid’s motivator so I think I’ll have to wait to see the Aventage models. Though, from what I’ve seen, the front panels are slightly different and do not have the rounded sides. I guess you can’t have it all.
B0FB82A4-918E-4105-A42E-7429D0C2C7E5.jpeg
E5D602FD-3066-4FB9-91A4-96ECD7DA7D02.jpeg
FCDB0604-D5C4-4BD4-B4FC-5FD489FF105F.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’m familiar, but the fact that Yamaha made a point of saying that only the front speakers could be 4 ohms does not inspire confidence. I’ll wait for the more robust models.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis