Yamaha RX-V6A and Klipsch speakers - Enough power?

A

ailao76

Audiophyte
I have a Yamaha RX-V6A receiver (Rated output power: 20hz-20khz 2 ch driven - 100watts @8ohms) powering Klipsch RC 62 II center speaker (Power Handling: 150w RMS / 600w peak) and two Klipsch RF-62 II Floor standing speakers (Power Handling: 125w RMS/ 500w Peak). For the side surround speakers I have cheap Onkyo speakers (not sure on the Power handling). The sub woofer has it's own amp (SVS PB 1000 Pro).

Do I need to get an external amp to get the most out of these speakers and or not damage them by not having enough power? If so, what would you recommend without breaking the bank? I noticed on the back of the Yamaha, that the Pre Out only has one white and one red RCA port just for the fronts; there are no other RCA ports for the center. This is my first post and am a total newbie when it comes to Home Theater; any help is appreciated.

Here are the links for the specs:

Thanks,
Alex

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have a Yamaha RX-V6A receiver (Rated output power: 20hz-20khz 2 ch driven - 100watts @8ohms) powering Klipsch RC 62 II center speaker (Power Handling: 150w RMS / 600w peak) and two Klipsch RF-62 II Floor standing speakers (Power Handling: 125w RMS/ 500w Peak). For the side surround speakers I have cheap Onkyo speakers (not sure on the Power handling). The sub woofer has it's own amp (SVS PB 1000 Pro).

Do I need to get an external amp to get the most out of these speakers and or not damage them by not having enough power? If so, what would you recommend without breaking the bank? I noticed on the back of the Yamaha, that the Pre Out only has one white and one red RCA port just for the fronts; there are no other RCA ports for the center. This is my first post and am a total newbie when it comes to Home Theater; any help is appreciated.

Here are the links for the specs:

Thanks,
Alex
If your listening room size is average and your distance from the Klipsch speakers is 15 feet or less, you shouldn't need external amplification. The Yamaha AVR power would be amply sufficient.

You can verify how much power you need to drive your system to your maximum SPL with the following link:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd tend to think your avr is sufficient for most purposes. I think you've read about the possibilities of trying to overdrive a lower powered amp and clipping it and causing issues....simple solution is to not turn it up that loud, will probably start to sound bad before anything bad happens. Speaker max wattage are more warning levels as to when damage occurs rather than some sort of actual need of the speakers for that power, altho depending on the distance you are from the speakers and how loud you want to play, could make a difference....

In using that spl calculator Verdinut posted, for Klipsch speakers I'd reduce the sensitivity stated by Klipsch by 4-5 dB as that's generally how a third party measurement works out with more standard ways of spec'g sensitivity....Klipsch uses an in-room equivalent to make the number higher.

You might like this article https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/truth-about-matching-amplifier-power

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, and yes your particular avr only provides limited number of pre-outs rather than a full set for all channels.

A

ailao76

Audiophyte
Thank you both for the quick reply! I'm relieved to know that I don't have to get an external amp; my max distance is maybe about 10 ft. I'll also check out that calculator....thanks again!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you both for the quick reply! I'm relieved to know that I don't have to get an external amp; my max distance is maybe about 10 ft. I'll also check out that calculator....thanks again!!
Just use the avr and speakers more and worry less :) At 10 ft you're probably just fine. You do have that L/R channel external amp option, tho, maybe you'll change speakers some day....

One thing I caught in re-reading your post is if your surrounds from Onkyo are from an HTIB (home theater in a box) set they could have some rather low impedance characteristics....and there's generally much better than Onkyo speakers generally too. Myself I like speakers as close to the mains for surrounds if I can, but have used quite a few speakers for surrounds that I simply had on hand, too. YMMV.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
One thing I caught in re-reading your post is if your surrounds from Onkyo are from an HTIB (home theater in a box) set they could have some rather low impedance characteristics....and there's generally much better than Onkyo speakers generally too.
Great point, but the RX-V receiver should be more current capable than the one came with the HTIB anyway.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis