Yamaha RX-V663 issues

lenoxseer

lenoxseer

Audiophyte
So I just acquired a Yamaha RX-V663 and there appears to be something wrong. I wired up my speakers (I am running a 3.1 setup until I can get some surround speakers) and no matter what I do the receiver will only show the L and R channels as active. I checked the 'SIGNAL INFO' and it shows only '2.0.----' under 'CHANNELS'. Yet when I go to adjust 'SPEAKER LEVEL' with the 'TEST TONE' turned 'ON', all channels are working properly. I tried resetting and nothing seems to work. Help will be much appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What sound modes are you using? Is the source only 2.0, are you enabling an upmixer?

lenoxseer

lenoxseer

Audiophyte
I've cycled through all sound modes and played a few 5.1 surround capable movies. It worked once before and would switch automatically to Dolby Digital and would show all channels on the display, but now I try to playback the same content that worked and it just shows left and right but I'll only hear audio from the center or sometimes only the L and R speakers. When I go to the receiver's menu and check signal info it only acknowledges 2 channels but all channels are working when doing test tones.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might try resets....soft reset to see if it clears up then if no luck a full microprocessor reset. This a used unit?

lenoxseer

lenoxseer

Audiophyte
I tried a soft reset and same issue. Don't know how to do a full microprocessor reset. Yes, it is used.

lenoxseer

lenoxseer

Audiophyte
That's the reset I did. Then I guess I did do a full microprocessor reset.

lenoxseer

lenoxseer

Audiophyte
Ahhh.. gotcha. I'm starting to think the receiver is bad.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you're using a sub try setting your speakers to small. That should get your sub going. Not sure about your center channel tho. What material are you using to test? Most music is recorded in 2.0 so the center wouldn't be doing anything.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you're using a sub try setting your speakers to small. That should get your sub going. Not sure about your center channel tho. What material are you using to test? Most music is recorded in 2.0 so the center wouldn't be doing anything.
Unless the sound mode can upmix to 3.1....but Yamaha has some strange names for sound modes that I've never bothered learning, just wonder what the specific ones like straight and through and all that is set for, too. But at least letting the L/R speakers be set to small would indeed be a good start, forgot to ask about that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For surround modes, I either use "Straight" (plain bitstream) or "Surround Sound" (upmixer).

What kind of SOURCE are you using? PC? Blu-ray player?

Make sure the Source is set to bitstream.

lenoxseer

lenoxseer

Audiophyte
I'll definitely try switching my speakers to small. I'm using an Apple TV and PS4.

lenoxseer

lenoxseer

Audiophyte
I changed all my speakers to small and switched the sound to Pro Logic II. I then went on all my devices and changed it to Bitstream. Now it seems to be working the way it should. Thanks for the help everyone! Now, I did order a new receiver in case it turned out this Yamaha was done with. I ordered a Onkyo 686. Should I keep the Yamaha and then return the Onkyo or keep the Onkyo and do whatever with the Yamaha (use in different room, sell, or recycle)?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
First I think if the Yamaha works and suits your needs, read the manual and get familiar with it. :) If you prefer the feature set of the Onkyo, maybe keep it and use the Yamaha as a spare or sell it....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis