Yamaha RX-V4A Receiver - On Screen Volume display does not show up on TV when adjusting volume

J

jax602

Audiophyte
Just bought this receiver a few days ago from local retailer. when i change the volume the volume goes up and down and mutes on the receiver screen, but for some reason does not on the TV. I have it set to "Short message" and "bottom" and while in the setup mode the volume shows up on the TV screen as i adjust it, but as soon as i exit the setup menu and return to the actual video which is coming through the HDMI 1 and doing to the TV thorugh the HDMI out, it doesn't show on TV screen when i adjust the volume up or down. It works, but just the visual display on the TV does not show.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The video you're referring to is not sourced in the tv?

J

jax602

Audiophyte
no, nothing is sourced in the TV. Everything (Amazon Fire TV in HDMI 1 and Playstation in HDMI 2) is run to the TV through the HDMI out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Trebdp83 probably knows :) Just wanted to make sure it wasn't tv sourced video where it would normally be the case....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Hello and welcome. Just posted answer in another thread. Make sure Short Message feature is ON.
C37AA686-2A00-461A-B5ED-BAB3470DFF98.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Turning that on will enable display of volume adjustments and you can move the display from the bottom to the top of the screen if you prefer it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry, didn’t read top of this thread. What is the source device in use connected to the Yamaha?

J

jax602

Audiophyte
Amazon Firestick 4K in HDMI1 as well as a Playstation 3 in HDMI 2. Again, no issues with it showing on the tv screen while in set up mode and moving it from bottom of the tv screen to top of the tv screen. It is just when i exit the setup screen and back to the video showing on the tv screen, the volume does not show on the TV screen

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Switch to an input source not in use and adjust the volume. Does it display on TV?

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Just fyi I have this issue sometimes depending on source material with my TSR-700 which is about the same thing. If it is in Dolby vision mode I can’t see onscreen overlays on top of material. For instance switching to setup mode blanks the screen to black with just onscreen menu for AVR. It could also have something to do with it being in 422 mode for color in my Apple TV. Straight SDR and 4k material doesn’t have this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jax602

Audiophyte
Switch to an input source not in use and adjust the volume. Does it display on TV?
has same issue when plug into different port. Just tried HDMI 3 and HDMI 4. Volume does not show up on the tv. As well, when i switch the receiver to a port not in use, no issues, it shows the volume on the screen changing with a black screen.

J

jax602

Audiophyte
Just fyi I have this issue sometimes depending on source material with my TSR-700 which is about the same thing. If it is in Dolby vision mode I can’t see onscreen overlays on top of material. For instance switching to setup mode blanks the screen to black with just onscreen menu for AVR. It could also have something to do with it being in 422 mode for color in my Apple TV. Straight SDR and 4k material doesn’t have this issue.

Interesting, I have a pioneer plasma tv so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I am assuming not because my old onkyo receiver had the display up there no problem, but my pioneer isn’t capable of anything over 1080 so maybe that has something to do here….

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Interesting, I have a pioneer plasma tv so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I am assuming not because my old onkyo receiver had the display up there no problem, but my pioneer isn’t capable of anything over 1080 so maybe that has something to do here….
Not sure it seems to me more to do with the software On receiver unable to overlay text in certain signals like Dolby vision sources.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Any updates? With a 1080p plasma, try setting all the HDMI source inputs on the Yamaha to 4K Mode 2 and see if that changes anything. You would change them back to Mode 1 if upgrading to a 4K TV.

J

jax602

Audiophyte
That’s 1 thing I did not try. Back at my city apartment, next time I’m out at the vacay home will try, thx for the help.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
You left the little droid all alone?:confused: Say, I’m still on holiday. Where exactly do you keep the spare key? Under the flower pot?;)

J

jax602

Audiophyte
Any updates? With a 1080p plasma, try setting all the HDMI source inputs on the Yamaha to 4K Mode 2 and see if that changes anything. You would change them back to Mode 1 if upgrading to a 4K TV.
Unfortunately didn’t fix it. Upon further investigation I have a 50in pioneer plasma from 2007/8. I think it’s max resolution is 1080i, therefore most everything actually shows at 720p on the screen. Maybe my screen is too outdated resolution wise for this receiver to show the volume onscreen….

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Unfortunately didn’t fix it. Upon further investigation I have a 50in pioneer plasma from 2007/8. I think it’s max resolution is 1080i, therefore most everything actually shows at 720p on the screen. Maybe my screen is too outdated resolution wise for this receiver to show the volume onscreen….
You talking about this volume bar?
IMG_20220128_192639660_HDR~2.jpg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Seems you've tried just about everything. The last thing I'd try is to set the output resolution of each device from automatic to 720p and see what happens.

W

wng328

Audiophyte
I am using Yamaha A4A. I encountered the same problem. The volume could not be displayed on screen even I set the Short Message to 'ON'. I didn't have this problem when I used the Onkyo AV Amp before. I think it's the problem with Yamaha AV Amp.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis