Yamaha RX-V1500 upgrade

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Geeze for that money , I'd buy it without the other half knowing and then ask her for permission. :p
Yeah, for $200 I'd buy the RX-A3000 in a heartbeat, assuming it works.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, for $200 I'd buy the RX-A3000 in a heartbeat, assuming it works.
If I could get them in good condition for that price, I would buy half a dozen and give them away to friends, keeping one or two for backup for me.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yea I am only running a stereo setup at the moment as I dont want my kids knocking over my rear speakers on their stands lol.
I am just after basically something that will sonicly sound as good as my Yamaha but for a decent price. Thats why I was loooking at the Sony. Also I need a lot of hdmi inputs.

I should also add that I have a 70 inch tv and my 2 monitors sit way to the sides, yet I can close my eyes and it still sounds like the dialogue is perfectly coming from the tv. I dont wanna loose any of that imaging.
Could you tell us the dimensions of the room the 2 speakers are in, your listening position (distance from speakers) and how loud you would go and still find the music enjoyable? If you cannot tell us the SPL with a SPL meter, you can just tell us the position of the volume (Yamaha's volume probably would display something like (-80 to +16.5). One more question, did you compare the 609 with the 1500 in pure direct mode and volume match the two?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If I could get them in good condition for that price, I would buy half a dozen and give them away to friends, keeping one or two for backup for me.
Me too, but we all know if it sounds too good.........................

W

wsgroves

Enthusiast
Scratch that. I cant get it. Oh well!
The room is actually all open. They sit beside a full size entertainment center. I dont have dimensions but have attached picture. As far as spl I need AT THE MOMENT, not that much, usually used for tv/games/movies when the kids are sleeping so I cant crank it. That being said I dont want to just "get by" if I decide to hook up the full system again. For scale size its a 70 inch and speaker to speaker is 12.5 feet.0312141831.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Scratch that. I cant get it. Oh well!
The room is actually all open. They sit beside a full size entertainment center. I dont have dimensions but have attached picture. As far as spl I need AT THE MOMENT, not that much, usually used for tv/games/movies when the kids are sleeping so I cant crank it. That being said I dont want to just "get by" if I decide to hook up the full system again. For scale size its a 70 inch and speaker to speaker is 12.5 feet.
Not enough details but it does not sound like you need tons of power. On the other hand, I do think those speakers could use a couple hundred watts and I highly recommend you go with a power amplifier. So if you choose to go that route, get a lower price AVR such as the Yamaha RX-A830, Denon AVR-3312/3313+ a low cost power amp, otherwise either the RX-A3020 or AVR-4520. They should be able to drive your speakers in two channel stereo to pretty loud level in that room and still remain within their comfort zones.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the best thing is to get the best deal AVR (Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc.) with preamp outputs. That way you can always add an external amp later if you need.

I would give Electronics Expo a phone call and see if they can sell you the Denon 3313 for $600 delivered. Same goes for Yamaha, Pioneer, etc.

W

wsgroves

Enthusiast
How do you go about calling a company and talking them down on a product like that? I thought prices on that stuff were non negotiable.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How do you go about calling a company and talking them down on a product like that? I thought prices on that stuff were non negotiable.
Dealers often get 40-60% off MSRP when they buy components. Some are willing to help you out. Electronic Expo has given great prices to many people. They know the drill. :D

W

wsgroves

Enthusiast
So just call and ask for sales, and say I am looking to get this receiver for this price...can you help me out? haha. Def makes more sense to pay that price then almost the same price for that sony 1040.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So just call and ask for sales, and say I am looking to get this receiver for this price...can you help me out? haha. Def makes more sense to pay that price then almost the same price for that sony 1040.
Exactly. Talk to a sales guy. Say you have friends who have bought from Electronics Expo and recommended. Say they've gotten the Denon 3312 for $500, 3313 for $600, 4311 for $1225 delivered. Say you want the 3313 for $600. :D

I do this all the time when I was buying. I've bought 4 things from them in the past. :D

Last edited:
W

wsgroves

Enthusiast
Thanks 3db. Appreciate it.

Thank you AcuDef. I will probably go with that one. Seems like a good receiver for the money, although have never played with Denon before.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you AcuDef. I will probably go with that one. Seems like a good receiver for the money, although have never played with Denon before.
The main thing is getting the best deal on an AVR that suits your need.

I am really not brand "loyal". :D

For those who don't care for Audyssey, Sub EQ, and Dynamic EQ, and they can get the best deals on a Yamaha or Pioneer, I say go for it.

I recommend Denon only because I care for Sub EQ and DEQ, but not everyone has the same need. :D

I sent you a PM on an alternate buying option if you can't get a great deal on the Denon 3313. If you could get a Denon X4000 for $600-$700, that would also be great. Or a great deal on a Yamaha. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis