Yamaha rx-a730 in New house...

M

Mloc

Enthusiast
I moved into a new house and the previous owners had a Yamaha rx-a730 setup.
I've never used anything like this begot, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to play music in the second zone, which is down stairs. The previous owner kinda explained it, but it was all mumbo-jumbo to me.
I've tried the AV Controller app, I select zone 2 in that and nothing.. I'd love some help, cause this thing has a killer sound to it.

Thanks.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha has a different app called Musiccast. After you run zone 2 speaker wires to the room, you setup the room on the app on Musicast.

My garage has zone 2 on my RXA770. We use it all the time because that’s where the treadmill is setup. We mostly run Pandora out there since it doesn’t limit my number of devices streaming at once like Deezer does.

M

Mloc

Enthusiast
Yamaha has a different app called Musiccast. After you run zone 2 speaker wires to the room, you setup the room on the app on Musicast.

My garage has zone 2 on my RXA770. We use it all the time because that’s where the treadmill is setup. We mostly run Pandora out there since it doesn’t limit my number of devices streaming at once like Deezer does.
I've tried that Musicast app and it was asking me to connect to its own network I think, it wasn't there and it didn't find the AV receiver..

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I've tried that Musicast app and it was asking me to connect to its own network I think, it wasn't there and it didn't find the AV receiver..
Your phone and the Yamaha need to be on the same network.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
They are on the same network.. :(

Go to the settings at top right icon. Then add device for main room. Then go to the main room then enable zone 2 and name it the room name you want for zone2.. Now it functions independently. You can pick main room or zone2 room.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Also you can’t see zone2 if your power amp assign is not set to allow zone2. Think that is on page 85 of your manual. Download the pdf of your manual from the Yamaha website.

I’m also unsure when Musiccast started to support models but my guess is around 2011.

You can also control zone 2 by the other app. “Yamaha controller” It will just be the single Yamaha (not separated) and zone select is at bottom left.

M

Mloc

Enthusiast
Go to the settings at top right icon. Then add device for main room. Then go to the main room then enable zone 2 and name it the room name you want for zone2.. Now it functions independently. You can pick main room or zone2 room.
I select zone 2, but it doesn't change.. It worked before for the previous owner, just can't understand why it's not more 2.
Here's a screen shot from the AV Controller Yamaha app...

Attachments

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I select zone 2, but it doesn't change.. It worked before for the previous owner, just can't understand why it's not more 2.
Here's a screen shot from the AV Controller Yamaha app...
That’s a screenshot of the regular Yamaha controller app. You could use that. Just click on zone2 and select source and adjust volume.

Did you download the other Yamaha app called “Yamaha Musiccast”? That’s the one you can use to separate them like 2 separate rooms. Like in my instructions. This is a much easier way because both rooms will have their separate control sections. It’s like having a 2nd Yamaha in zone 2.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Also make sure “Party Mode” is off. Otherwise zone2 will just play what is playing on the main Yamaha.

M

Mloc

Enthusiast
That’s a screenshot of the regular Yamaha controller app. You could use that. Just click on zone2 and select source and adjust volume.

Did you download the other Yamaha app called “Yamaha Musiccast”? That’s the one you can use to separate them like 2 separate rooms. Like in my instructions. This is a much easier way because both rooms will have their separate control sections. It’s like having a 2nd Yamaha in zone 2.
I'll download it again and try, thanks.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
While new models are forced to use the MusicCast app when selecting the Yamaha Controller app, I believe the RX-A730 is a pre MusicCast model. You can check compatibility with it here.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hope you work it out. See if any of this info is helpful to you.
67843273-4621-40A1-ACFE-4727B2612565.jpeg

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
While new models are forced to use the MusicCast app when selecting the Yamaha Controller app, I believe the RX-A730 is a pre MusicCast model. You can check compatibility with it here.
That does look like it’s saying Musiccast won’t support 730. That’s unfortunate.

However I had used the regular controller app for zone2 for almost 2 years before I started using the Musiccast app. The screen shot he gave was the controller app. Main thing there is to make sure party mode is off. Then from his screenshot click on the zone 2. It should then open up and allow him to change source for zone2 and adjust volume. (You just have to access it this way instead of separately)

(Assuming amp assign is setup to allow zone2)

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If @Mloc can get it working with the remote control, he can then open the app and see the current settings to know how they should look in the app when working properly.

M

Mloc

Enthusiast
If @Mloc can get it working with the remote control, he can then open the app and see the current settings to know how they should look in the app when working properly.
I still can't get it to play on zone 2.

I've went into the settings and it seems to be configured correctly, I've attached a pic..

Also they other pic is the volume slider that is downstairs, no matter what way it's set, still nothing plays on zone 2.

I also took a short video of the back of the receiver, maybe you all might door something not right...

Attachments

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What is playing in the Main Zone and what is it you want to be played in Zone2? There are some limitations based on the devices and connections being used.

M

Mloc

Enthusiast
What is playing in the Main Zone and what is it you want to be played in Zone2? There are some limitations based on the devices and connections being used.
The main zone plays pretty much what I want it to, but when I`m downstairs (zone 2) I`d like to switch to what`s being played to there.
Very early on when we first moved in I did get it working, I did`nt mess with any wires or connections, it was all through the Yamaha app.

The only other thing I was at while trying to figure it out was the home "network" panel, which is a mess and I`ve yet to get someone in to tidy it all up, but I`m not sure that has anything to do with.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis