Yamaha rx-a3080 firmware issue

D

Dave67

Enthusiast
HELP PLEASE!!!

Recently I moved house and when I setup my Yamaha RX-A3080 it automatically upgraded firmware to version 2.01. Now only front, centre speakers and one sub works. I spent hours playing around with settings, triple checking connections etc nothing. Previously it's was setup 5.2.4 configuration and loved it.

Reason I know it's the firmware is I swapped it over to an RX-485 same deal. Front, centre and one sub only.

I have sent both to Yamaha in Bangkok explaining issue but they seem stumped.

Any help / ideas greatly appreciated.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
HELP PLEASE!!!

Recently I moved house and when I setup my Yamaha RX-A3080 it automatically upgraded firmware to version 2.01. Now only front, centre speakers and one sub works. I spent hours playing around with settings, triple checking connections etc nothing. Previously it's was setup 5.2.4 configuration and loved it.

Reason I know it's the firmware is I swapped it over to an RX-485 same deal. Front, centre and one sub only.

I have sent both to Yamaha in Bangkok explaining issue but they seem stumped.

Any help / ideas greatly appreciated.
It seems to me this is unlikely to be due to the firmware update.

May be it is an input problem. What does the front panel display show? Does it show the silent channels illuminated or not?

The fact that two different models of receiver are behaving this way, make me doubt your explanation. That fact, makes me strongly suspect you have a wiring problem. Disconnect the silent speakers at the receiver, and then test the speakers with the battery test connecting and disconnecting the ends of the receiver end speaker wires, and see if you hear the click click as you connect and disconnect.

Then report back here with the answer to those questions, and we will take it from there.

D

Dave67

Enthusiast
I have swapped wiring around and nothing wrong with speakers or wiring.

Front panel shows all connected speakers illuminated. Configurations also show them. Sound test then only front, centre and one sub.

Both working perfectly beforehand. 5.2.4 and 5.1. Both stopped after automatic update of firmware. Tired updating firmware from usb. Looked promising but then reverted to only front, centre and one sub

D

Dave67

Enthusiast
Also did factory reset. Hard, soft? Played on front panel reset all. That just seemed to reset configuration

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Also did factory reset. Hard, soft? Played on front panel reset all. That just seemed to reset configuration
This is a really strange issue. I have seen no report of this on the Internet.

If you do a hard reset, then it should return it to the original firmware. Have you tried running after a hard reset without reloading the updated firmware?

If the problem still exists with the original firmware, then somehow the update has damaged the hardware. That is especially likely if the test tones will not play through all connected speakers.

You say you used a thumb drive for the update. What was the source of the firmware on that thumb drive? It is best to update firmware via a reliable wired Ethernet connection, connected to the Yamaha official site. Firmware updates via Wi-Fi are notorious for problems and can do permanent damage to a receiver.

The only remedy if this persists is to send the unit to an official Yamaha service center, have them flash the BIOS and reload the firmware. If that does not do the trick, I suspect it is new receiver time.

D

Dave67

Enthusiast
So how do I do a hard reset? I've only seen the one rest option, disconnect anything initialise all. Did not update firmware when restarted. Seemed to only revert configuration.

If that's firmware updating automatically updating damaging hardware that's clearly a Yamaha issue, responsibility

Both have been sent to Yamaha in Bangkok (I'm expat here). Nothing seems to be happening though. Very hard to know if they have even looked at them (2 weeks!).

Flashing BIOS does seem the logical next move. Replacing them? Expensive exercise. Definately wouldn't be looking at Yamaha again

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My personal opinion on firmware updates....disable any automatic version of such. If there is one available, make sure it addresses something you're having an issue with, otherwise ignore. The usb/download way of updating is usually the most secure, and from what I saw in the link I posted earlier, it was expected to be a download (to thumb drive I assume but not positive). Hopefully Yamaha will get you sorted in any case....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So how do I do a hard reset? I've only seen the one rest option, disconnect anything initialise all. Did not update firmware when restarted. Seemed to only revert configuration.

If that's firmware updating automatically updating damaging hardware that's clearly a Yamaha issue, responsibility

Both have been sent to Yamaha in Bangkok (I'm expat here). Nothing seems to be happening though. Very hard to know if they have even looked at them (2 weeks!).

Flashing BIOS does seem the logical next move. Replacing them? Expensive exercise. Definately wouldn't be looking at Yamaha again
Here are the instructions for a hard reset.

I don't think Yamaha are worse then any others, in fact probably better then most.

Make sure you do it properly. That will most likely solve your problem.

The hard reset will erase all your settings, so you will have to do your setup from scratch.

D

Dave67

Enthusiast
That's the reset process I've done. Doesn't back out firmware only resets configuration.

I cannot say 100% but I think there wasn't any option to accept, stop updating firmware. They both just did it.

I moved house so had them packed up then reset them up. Spent days searching, double checking everything with rx-a3080 to no avail. I packed it up to send off to Yamaha and was going to use rx-485 when same thing happened.

That's how I know it's the firmware. Nothing wrong with internet, no slow download or anything. Re updated firmware with usb. Nothing!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That's the reset process I've done. Doesn't back out firmware only resets configuration.

I cannot say 100% but I think there wasn't any option to accept, stop updating firmware. They both just did it.

I moved house so had them packed up then reset them up. Spent days searching, double checking everything with rx-a3080 to no avail. I packed it up to send off to Yamaha and was going to use rx-485 when same thing happened.

That's how I know it's the firmware. Nothing wrong with internet, no slow download or anything. Re updated firmware with usb. Nothing!
If it reset the configuration, then it must have reverted to the original firmware. We have never had a problem like yours that I can remember. It sounds as if the firmware update has damaged the processor somehow. How it could do this to two different models of receivers is beyond me. You will have to send it to Yamaha, and see what they find. If this were common, it would be all over the Net, but it isn't. Please post back here when you find what the problem is. I suppose one explanation is that there is rogue software on a server in your part of the world. Sorry this could not be solved at long range.

highfigh

highfigh

Press the Sound Mode button- it should step through the options for speakers, but you should also be able to go into the menu to check the speaker setup- it would be odd for an update to cause this.

FWIW, I recently re-installed a Yamaha RX-V760 AVR and had no video from any source when they were connected to the AVR- they all worked when connected directly to the TV, though. I did a hard reset and that fixed the problem.

BTW- is the AVR connected to the network via an ethernet cable, or are you using WiFi? NO manufacturer actually recommends using WiFi, it's just there in case you can't install a cable but you could always do the update by taking the AVR to the router.

Once you connect it to the router, find the AVR's IP address and in a computer, open your browser. Once it has opened, type the AVR's IP address and add '/setup' (without the punctuation), so it would be 192.168.1.xxx/setup or something like that. If you have an Apple router, it might be 10.0.1.xxx/setup.

Entering the IP address with /setup opens a menu that has ALL of the configuration options- using the remote (ANY remote, not just the Yamaha piece) only allows limited setup options.

This is done because Yamaha, just like all of the other brands, want installers to set these up. I'm not going to say that all installers are great or that they know everything, but the number of calls to customer and tech support for instructions that can be found in the owners manual is staggering and it costs them a lot of time and money. Every question I have seen on any forum can be answered by looking in the Troubleshooting section of the owner's manual.

D

Dave67

Enthusiast
Fingers crossed but both now repaired and on their way home:p

Both receivers problem was with firmware. Yamaha technicians just reinstalled and both seem to be working.

Yes, yes best to update via Ethernet cable or usb BUT and it's a really big BUT!

Both receivers automatically updated by wifi when setting up again after moving house. No option to skip, no yes, no, remind later. Both just updated when setting up.

Technician isn't impressed because they can't see how to turn off auto update.

Bottom line. If there's problem updating by wifi it shouldn't be automatic or even an option.

Good news. No service fee just shipping

Thanks for all input, suggestions. Greatly appreciated

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Both receivers problem was with firmware. Yamaha technicians just reinstalled and both seem to be working.

Yes, yes best to update via Ethernet cable or usb BUT and it's a really big BUT!

Both receivers automatically updated by wifi when setting up again after moving house. No option to skip, no yes, no, remind later. Both just updated when setting up.

Bottom line. If there's problem updating by wifi it shouldn't be automatic or even an option.

I am glad you are sorted out. I have read your manual, and according to the manual, these receivers do not auto update. It states you get information on screen that there is an auto update available and it is your choice to download it or not. If they have changed this since the manual was written that is a problem. I am not in the Yamaha universe. May be some other Yamaha owners can advise?

If it truly is true that they now update automatically, then they need to be connected to your ethernet via hard wire, or Wi-Fi kept turned off. An update via Wi-Fi is an accident waiting to happen, as you found out. This is because an interrupted update from any cause creates bad problems. I bet they had to flash the BIOS before reloading the firmware.

D

Dave67

Enthusiast
Thanks for reply.

The current firmware isn't new as in new just last week. What's caused it to automatically update is I moved house. Packed both up and set them up again. 99% sure there wasn't option not too update.

So they haven't been working and run an auto update, if that makes sense.

Problem not having them connected to wifi would mainly be Spotify.

Sloppy flaw really but fixed now thankfully so all good.

Again thanks for all input.

Kind regards

D

highfigh

highfigh

Turn off 'Auto Update'. Using that is a really good way to own a brick.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Turn off 'Auto Update'. Using that is a really good way to own a brick.
Do you know how to turn auto updates off, if it has them? I went through the user manual. From what I can tell, unless things have changed, and the manual not updated, that receiver does not have an auto update feature. It says updates are by notification only, and you can accept or reject them. I'm pretty sure I read that correctly.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I have the Yamaha 3060. My receiver does not auto update. If there is a new update available, you will see it when you go into the set-up menu. But you can choose to ignore it. The 3060 never auto updated. Don't know if something changed with the 3080..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis