Yamaha RX-A3080 Bricked After Update

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
I won't do a firmware update via-USB port. Only over the net will I do. Yamaha states they will not warrant any of their AVR's firmware update via-USB down load. A wiped out whole HDMI board seems odd. So basically Techs are just parts changers now, at 148.00 just to check your AVR out seems high. I'd only agree to the 900.00 part plus repair/replacement with some warranty of no less than a year warranty of part and labor.
But 900 as opposed to 2K or more for a flagship AVR is a tough choice. Maybe check with a dealer you trust, I'd bet for just a few-more-dollars you could pick up a New A6A or Denon or maybe one those shiny new Marantz units. Check with @AcuDefTechGuy he may have a prescription for what Ale's.

B

boham1978

Enthusiast
I went back to Yamaha describing that the board has been found bad and the cost of replacing it is so high; especially since it was their software update that did it. They came back with a warranty authorization code! Yamaha just added a faithful customer to its shelves.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I went back to Yamaha describing that the board has been found bad and the cost of replacing it is so high; especially since it was their software update that did it. They came back with a warranty authorization code! Yamaha just added a faithful customer to its shelves.
As well they should have. I do think they were responsible for this failure and I expect they know it, as it has happened to others. How this could happen is beyond my pay grade, but it seems it does.

Just one piece of advice, in future do firmware updates with a secure wired ethernet connection. Wi-Fi should never be used. A wired connection to a good reliable router or ethernet hub is required.

I am glad that Yamaha handled this professionally and responsibly. Things do go wrong even under the best of circumstances. What matters is that businesses handle these matters responsibly and professionally. In this matter Yamaha get 10 out of 10 stars and are to be commended.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I never doubted Yamaha. :D

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
I never doubted Yamaha. :D
I had my doubt of Yamme but than that Yamaha tech did his thing, agree to let him remotely control my AVR through Internet. He did his thing, still wasn't really convinced till a month passed and I had no more issues. Save me from having to send in my AVR.

Ellette

Ellette

Audiophyte
time goes by and nothing changes.

highfigh

highfigh

This is one reason my tag lines contain "WiFi is for convenience, hardwired is for performance."

Nobody wants to believe it, though. DO NOT try to update anything via WiFi. Not even a toaster. If possible, save the update to a USB drive and preferably, save the configuration before updating.

For anyone with a Yamaha, find the IP address and enter that in the search bar of your browser with /setup at the end. An example would be 192.168.1.45/setup or with an Apple router, 10.2.2.45/setup

Setting it up will be far easier and you can adjust all settings without using the TV or the LCD screen on the face. It looks like the pdf, but the real thing will have a pale yellow background. This is from my Yamaha WXC-50 MusicCast device- the file called Control center is found using the gui from the saved page, the setup is found using the instructions above. If you see 'To Web Control Center', click on that to find the Save and Restore buttons.

FWIW, my MusicCast is about 6 years old and I don't have a current model AVR, so the gui may be different. If it is, contact Yamaha to find out how to save/restore the config using a browser.

Attachments

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Lets see, we have 3 PC's that are set for Microsoft updates, using ATT internet service for years. Those 3 HP laptops are set for Wi-Fi auto updates...w/o issues. The main TV, and AVR, are next to the ATT Modem box and are wired. 2 of our Smart TV's, get their mfg updates via Wi-Fi for numerous years. Our DSL internet speed avg is 85Mbps and higher on the PC's. I can understand, if you have a slow speed internet connection, it is more liable for hiccups. I check our internet speed several times a week. 107Mbps is to the house. Avg speed connection to our 2 other Smart TV's, is 85 Mbps.

highfigh

highfigh

Lets see, we have 3 PC's that are set for Microsoft updates, using ATT internet service for years. Those 3 HP laptops are set for Wi-Fi auto updates...w/o issues. The main TV, and AVR, are next to the ATT Modem box and are wired. 2 of our Smart TV's, get their mfg updates via Wi-Fi for numerous years. Our DSL internet speed avg is 85Mbps and higher on the PC's. I can understand, if you have a slow speed internet connection, it is more liable for hiccups. I check our internet speed several times a week. 107Mbps is to the house. Avg speed connection to our 2 other Smart TV's, is 85 Mbps.
Updates can work over 85Mbps, but I wouldn't use WiFi- it's too susceptible to environmental changes. In networking and specifically WiFi setup, people are called 'bags of water' and objects filled with water affect signal strength and quality. Trees are another.

Can you actually check the speed using your smart TVs, or are you holding your phone close to them?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
A competent implementation of firmware updates should work just as well over wired as over WiFi. If the AVR is unable to download or verify the downloaded firmware it should just abort with an error message.

It’s not magic, just good engineering.

B

boham1978

Enthusiast
As I said in the beginning, the receiver is hard wired. And it still failed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then again why even bother with a firmware update unless it fixes something you need?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Then again why even bother with a firmware update unless it fixes something you need?
Most AVR updates after they are a few years old (legitimate issues get fixed quick...usually) are mainly for the streaming apps...real shame to brick a machine over Spotify.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Just one piece of advice, in future do firmware updates with a secure wired ethernet connection. Wi-Fi should never be used. A wired connection to a good reliable router or ethernet hub is required.
/QUOTE]
Very good of Yamaha.
Question about updating: I have an Onkyo RZ50 far from a hardwire. Would you recommend then downloading updates onto a USB drive and do the update that way?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Very good of Yamaha.
Question about updating: I have an Onkyo RZ50 far from a hardwire. Would you recommend then downloading updates onto a USB drive and do the update that way?
No. I would skip the update.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis