Yamaha RX-A3070 vs RX-Z9 did I make a mistake ?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

Without the ability to decode Blu Ray's Lossless Codes via HDMI in the Z9, perhaps John will be able to use analogue connections and have his Oppo 230 do the heavy lifting. I don't know for sure if this is possible (HDMI and some codecs are all about anti-piracy and kills some flexibility) but it's worth a look. Perhaps another Oppo owner can chime in.

Maybe then John will have the best of both worlds. Just a thought...;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Gents,

Without the ability to decode Blu Ray's Lossless Codes via HDMI in the Z9, perhaps John will be able to use analogue connections and have his Oppo 230 do the heavy lifting. I don't know for sure if this is possible (HDMI and some codecs are all about anti-piracy and kills some flexibility) but it's worth a look. Perhaps another Oppo owner can chime in.

Maybe then John will have the best of both worlds. Just a thought...;)
Yes 7.1 formats Dolby TrueHD and DTSHDMA via an oppo player with 7.1 analog outs works but that won’t get him Atmos or DTSX which happen in the receiver. Those Oppos are not being sold anymore though. Maybe used they are. There is a thread on that from a couple months ago. But either way I see nothing wrong with enjoying the Z9 until it dies. A true classic! :)

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-RX-Z9

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Yea I love the Z9 , And I’m not really caring at all about Dolby Atmos I have a great 5.2. Still scratching my head about what’s wrong with all these new units I had a McIntosh MC-252 running my RF-7ii’s and both subs are self powered R-115’s. Only the center and the surrounds were powered by the 3070. So in my opinion it’s all internal processing. I should’ve listened to the original Yamaha engineer he said he would not give up a Z9 for anything on the market now a days. Again dynamic range was set to max And all speakers calibrated to 81 DB and subs 83-86. So I was comparing apples to apples.. even with the enhancement features still did not sound as good as the Z9. And without a doubt with all of the enhancement features turned off like YPAO volume it really sounded lifeless. Was always finding myself thinking where is the bass, subwoofers are set up correctly The crossovers turned all the way up And speaker set too small and crossed over 80 Hz in the receiver. And everything was leveled correctly with the volume turned to zero . I promise everybody I did everything I possibly Could, these new units are no match for the RX-Z9.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I have an OPPO 203. But I don’t think it’s really worth running anything other than Core DTS. Don’t have to worry so much about Dolby Digital because no blu-Ray I have bought recently is with Dolby Digital.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
And lastly the dynamic range on both Yamaha‘s was set to max
Why enable dynamic range at all? That's a limiting function useful for late nite viewing type and not bothering others kind of thing....

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
No I don’t think you understand there’s no setting for off.... you have standard , Max and I forget what the other thing was.. look at the Yamaha manuals they all say set to max for feature presentation

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
The max setting according to Yamaha in the manual there is no compression whatsoever.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No I don’t think you understand there’s no setting for off.... you have standard , Max and I forget what the other thing was.. look at the Yamaha manuals they all say set to max for feature presentation
I looked at the manual of the 3070 before I mentioned that....page 125 indicates the Adaptive DRC will be adjusted along with volume, and can be turned on or off. Personally I'd always leave a setting like that off.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
You have regular dynamic range setting and you have the adaptive setting. Both settings were correct

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis