Yamaha RX-A3040 doesn’t play AAC audio?

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
I have a video with AAC audio, h264 (presumably mpeg?),and when I do audio pass-through on my device, there’s no audio. I habe to turn audio processing on on my player? Something doesn’t seem right

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a video with AAC audio, h264 (presumably mpeg?),and when I do audio pass-through on my device, there’s no audio. I habe to turn audio processing on on my player? Something doesn’t seem right
h264 is a video codec that can be combined with a variety of codecs. It is compatible with the AAC audio codec and that is the preferred audio codec for h264 video codec.

AAC is a common codec and your device should be able to decode it.

This is the h264 codec

H. 264 or MPEG-4 AVC (Advanced Video Coding) is a video coding format for recording and distributing full HD video and audio. It was developed and maintained by the ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group (VCEG) with the ISO/IEC JTC1 Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG).

I don't know what container they used to combine the H.264 and AAC audio codec. Either they did not do it correctly, or far more likely your Yamaha does not recognize the container they used. So, I think you will have to pick another device such as your player to hear the audio.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to know how well and how particularly it was ripped? What do you mean by audio pass-thru, tho? That a setting on the Yamaha or your player (and what are you using to play it with)?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Sounds like you are using Kodi.....that is normal to turn on that transcoding option for AAC on Kodi, especially 5.1 AAC.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have looked into this a bit more. As I suspected this is a container issue almost certainly. The open source AVI. container will not play back the AAC audio codec on some systems. The others like MKV are much more reliable. So my best guess is that the video and audio were combined in the AVI container. The advice is to be wary of using AVI and AAC together.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Man...I haven't seen an AVI for at least 15 years. :)
But, the OP hasn't started what this file is and what hes playing it on.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Man...I haven't seen an AVI for at least 15 years. :)
But, the OP hasn't started what this file is and what hes playing it on.
The above reason is why. I would bet though the Fried Chicken has stumbled into one. It may not be stated on the disc. I can't think of another explanation other than the wrong container.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
He is playing downloaded movie/show files, probably torrented......the smaller ones use aac instead of ac3.
Kodi, which I believe is what he is using since he mentions the transcoding option...has an issue with some aac no matter what containers it's in.
Just about everything is mkv nowadays..
This is really a non issue...if it plays, all is fine.
When an AVR states what audio formats it plays, it doesn't mean that format stuck inside a container with video also.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I use Kodi from PC (with Yamaha as AVP) everyday that I am home. A few files are AAC, and Kodi will play them as PCM audio through the Yamaha.

I always have Kodi audio setup as Pass-Through, WASAPI HDMI.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I use Kodi from PC (with Yamaha as AVP) everyday that I am home. A few files are AAC, and Kodi will play them as PCM audio through the Yamaha.

I always have Kodi audio setup as Pass-Through, WASAPI HDMI.
That is not the issue most likely here. Kodi is not a container. So it might or might not handle the OP's video. If the container is AVI, then the issue is coupling the H264 video to AAC audio. That is a combination known to cause trouble on playback. Whereas H264 with AAC as an MKV file will play on pretty much anything, Kodi included.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis