Yamaha RX-A2080 vs Yamaha RX-V2085

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi

I'm looking at purchasing the yamaha rx-v2085 as well. Can you tell me what you think about it. How would you rate it out of 10 and what's the bad?
Nothing bad really if 9.1 is all you need. I would look to Denon or even Marantz 11.1 models, to get more for less.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hi

I'm looking at purchasing the yamaha rx-v2085 as well. Can you tell me what you think about it. How would you rate it out of 10 and what's the bad?
These are great 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 AVRs. (No 7.1.4). You might also consider last years 2070 on sale since there are few differences from last years model. Main differences are a different remote, 3rd hdmi out, no hdmi in on front, ability to use Yamaha wireless rear speakers, and the AI automatic DSP mode. Also only Dolby DSU can be used on Dolby decoders on 2018 models. None of those changes are significant.

I have the 2060 from 2 years ago and I really like mine. The 2060 is 32bit and 2070 is 64bit but otherwise they are identical.

Last edited:
T

TheGeminiDragon

Audiophyte
Hi

I bought my RX-V2085 from Video Only for a very decent price of $1050. The warranty is Yamaha's standard warranty (not 4 years - ref: adam_rostron90 post Aug 20, 2018) I am mostly happy with the performance of the unit overall. Having an issue with switching between inputs using the MusicCast app whereas sometimes the unit will look like it has switched inputs, but the audio or visual doesn't actually come through. The only way I have found so far, is to unplug the power cord and reapply power and then it works. My work around that has been successful is - if I have linked speakers, I unlink them first. Switch the input then re-link the speakers.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I bought my RX-V2085 from Video Only for a very decent price of $1050. The warranty is Yamaha's standard warranty (not 4 years - ref: adam_rostron90 post Aug 20, 2018) I am mostly happy with the performance of the unit overall. Having an issue with switching between inputs using the MusicCast app whereas sometimes the unit will look like it has switched inputs, but the audio or visual doesn't actually come through. The only way I have found so far, is to unplug the power cord and reapply power and then it works. My work around that has been successful is - if I have linked speakers, I unlink them first. Switch the input then re-link the speakers.
Did you try the Yamaha controller app instead of the musicast app?

T

TheGeminiDragon

Audiophyte
Did you try the Yamaha controller app instead of the musicast app?
Thanks snakeeyes. No, I haven't tried the controller app but, did use the input knob previously to switch between the inputs and still no joy.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well the description of the inputs not changing sounds like a software or hardware issue possibly. Have you updated the firmware on the receiver? Does this same issue happen when using the remote control?

T

TheGeminiDragon

Audiophyte
The firmware was updated when I bought the receiver just 45 days ago. The remote control yield the same results.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would take it back and ask for another unit. My 2016 and 2017 models don’t have issues switching inputs. I have 2060, 681, and 770.

T

TheGeminiDragon

Audiophyte
I believe my issue is resolved.... and the TV cable box is suspect. The receiver unit was actually switching to the TV input, however the signal from the cable box via HDMI for lack of a better term, may have "fallen asleep" and did not wake up when reconnected. To determine this, I cycled the power to the cable box and upon reboot, the audio and video came through. I've replaced the cable box and after multiple attempts to replicate the issue, it hasn't failed yet. Fingers crossed.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I believe my issue is resolved.... and the TV cable box is suspect. The receiver unit was actually switching to the TV input, however the signal from the cable box via HDMI for lack of a better term, may have "fallen asleep" and did not wake up when reconnected. To determine this, I cycled the power to the cable box and upon reboot, the audio and video came through. I've replaced the cable box and after multiple attempts to replicate the issue, it hasn't failed yet. Fingers crossed.
You could put that cable box off another hdmi port on the tv so it’s not trying to hdmi switch with the other hdmi components on your receiver. Just an idea you can try if needed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis