Yamaha RX-A2070 YPAO PEQ adjusts one frequency twice

H

HT Tweeker

Enthusiast
When going into my receiver setup address on my web browser, I noticed that some frequencies were adjusted twice at different gain and Q. Is this normal? Is it part or the reflected sound field control? Just doesn’t seem right to me.
A1608FE8-67B5-4AF9-B7A1-D9CAFA631988.png

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
need more Info, If it’s a Concern turn off DSP. In your settings use “Manual” setting or “Though“. unless you have a working understanding of all those EQ setting using “Manual” can get Messy. or just use “Though”. But if you like the way it sounds with the DSP on use the Different sound field. Some do some don’t. Unless you have a good understanding of those 4 setting in “Manual” just use ”Though”. Some of the members on here use a Software to run other than what the Manufacturer has already built into the unit that you have. But a lot of members don’t use DSP at all. What ever the Sources is just let the unit or in your case Streaming, thats internet
As your Profile name states Tweek see what you like. If you use Manual you can also clear out or just do a reset. What doesn’t seem right? Need more info as to what You think isn’t right? The Band setting, Frequency setting, the Q setting, or the Gain setting? If you do change up any one of those settings With Manual use it will Affect all the others. Or hit Gene up on his website pay him 100 bucks for a One hour phone Consultation. He will Explain what you’re seeing or what you’re not understanding of what you believe doesn’t seem right. Other than that, wait and see if one of the members chime in take your Chances some of the members love getting into the Nitty-gritty.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Is this after YPAO?
Just looking at the PEQ data, it looks like one is a wider, more gradual EQ and the other is a narrow, more abrupt EQ. I could see how the resulting composite EQ curve might be advantageous...however, wait for someone with more experience specific to your system to respond. I am saying that, while I understand where you are coming from, don't be too quick to believe it is a problem. If this is by design, I have to say that it seems impressive (assuming it is doing it right)!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Is this after YPAO?
Just looking at the PEQ data, it looks like one is a wider, more gradual EQ and the other is a narrow, more abrupt EQ. I could see how the resulting composite EQ curve might be advantageous...however, wait for someone with more experience specific to your system to respond. I am saying that, while I understand where you are coming from, don't be too quick to believe it is a problem. If this is by design, I have to say that it seems impressive (assuming it is doing it right)!
KEW, for the reasons you just state, I could have just stated what you just posted up and saved myself time. I don’t use any of the DSP or Yamahas YPAO.

H

HT Tweeker

Enthusiast
This has nothing to do with DSP, I listen to everything using “Straight”. The EQ’d sound is definitely fuller and tighter and I use it on the “Flat” setting with my Golden Ear speakers. I’m no newbie, but not a pro with EQ’s, I use the web browser to EQ The sub channel, and while doing so, noticed the doubling of adjustments on certain frequencies that the auto setup did and wanted to know if this is normal as I’ve never seen it before.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As KEW said, they weren't duplicates as the values were different. Even if they were identical, I don't think it would be abnormal. It's just an AVR so I highly doubt they have enough build in intelligence in the algorithm to tell, and warn you that you have already entered the same values.

By the way, have you tried copying the PEQ settings from YPAO auto setup? I am curious to the values. As mentioned before, do it manually can be tricky. I wouldn't do it without using software like REW to see what's going on in terms of "before" and "after". If I were to do it blind, I would start by copying the settings from auto setup, and go from there, with slight adjustment and go by ears, but I won't do it blind anyway.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t use the “magic“ of YPAO either. Put YPAO on “through” to bypass the YPAO tinkering completely. I use just “Straight” and “Dolby Surround” (DSU) on my 2016 and 2017 Yamahas. If I want to have 5.1 music on a 2.0 source (like for background music), I use DTS Neo6 in music mode. (It’s too much of a hassle on DSU in the menus to turn “center spread“ on and off. Maybe I’ll want that when I add ceiling speakers though. LOL :) )

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
This has nothing to do with DSP, I listen to everything using “Straight”. The EQ’d sound is definitely fuller and tighter and I use it on the “Flat” setting with my Golden Ear speakers. I’m no newbie, but not a pro with EQ’s, I use the web browser to EQ The sub channel, and while doing so, noticed the doubling of adjustments on certain frequencies that the auto setup did and wanted to know if this is normal as I’ve never seen it before.
That’s why I stated Need more Info. Now you may get more input from members on AH. I knew you wasn't asking about DSP. PENG is correct YPAO isn’t going to let you know why.

H

HT Tweeker

Enthusiast
I prefer music in stereo, good speakers put the sounds where they should be. As for movies I like the DTS Neural:X up-mixer over the Dolby one, more sounds overhead and more dynamic over all. I’ve always bypassed the YPAO on previous generation Yamaha’s I’ve had, but this new one actually sounds better with it on, and the fact that it’s applied on SACD’s and high-res music without down sampling makes it perfect for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis