Yamaha RX-A2020 delayed audio at power on

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think you can guarantee a more powerful amp solely on weight. The DACs are different as well as audio formats.Denon supports quite a few streaming services. The main one they are missing is Qobuz support with Denon apps. But you can get around that issue with other apps like Audirvana.

My questions are how will REW measurements vary? Will Surround:AI offer any notable upgrade? Does the ESS 384kHz/32-bit SABRE PRO premier DAC offer a different sound? How does HEAT compare? How do my speakers react to each receiver? Is there any real value to any of the 24 Yamaha DSP programs offered? If each system is configured with the maximize desired preferences - how do they compare?
Lots of questions. Rew measurements should look the same if comparing direct to direct. Ypao vs audyssey will definitely be different. Ypao sucks. Ime...
Also, for me the 24 sound programs don’t offer anything that I found valuable. Some do, but ymmv. Weight means very little these days, but there’s been countless conversations on it which you might find with a search. In short, it doesn’t matter like it used to.
Imo, while heat is the enemy, I’m not convinced that it’s a be all end all problem. I have an older pioneer in my bedroom that gets hotter than ANY D/M AVR I’ve ever seen and it’s never flinched. I’m sure the engineers have covered that. Surround AI has been covered too, and that seems to be a love it or hate it thing. Again, ymmv.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
LOL brand loyalty is so fleeting....
Loyalty is often about owning certain brands, but it isn't always about owning a certain brand.

We're "loyal" when we are treated well regardless of whether we still own those brands. :D

Even though I would not buy DefTech for myself due to personal preferences, I still consider myself "loyal" to DefTech because I feel that their Customer Support is Second to None. When I owned DefTech speakers and needed any kind of help/assistance/support, they were there for me 100%.

I know many people who are still "loyal" to certain brands even though they no longer own any of those brands. When people are treated well, they will remember that forever - unless someday they are no longer treated well by those brands.

B

Bthenorth

Audiophyte
I've had this Yamaha RX-A2020 for a few years now - purchased new from BB. I have not used it myself much for the past 2 years since my teenage son has taken over the basement as his appt. He has used it every day and night for quite a while now. Lately when powering it on it takes a long time for the audio to kick in. Does not seem to matter which audio/video source is selected and the time seems somewhat random from a few minutes sometimes to several hours other times. Any ideas? Is it worth getting repaired or trying to tackle myself? I am fairly versed with electronics and repair but am unsure where to even start with a diagnosis.
Did you ever figure out the solution to this problem? I have a Yamamha RX-A830 that just started to do the exact same thing. No audio at start-up and then kicks in after about 5-10 minutes.i would hate to replace the unit.

59ctd

Audioholic Intern
Did you ever figure out the solution to this problem? I have a Yamamha RX-A830 that just started to do the exact same thing. No audio at start-up and then kicks in after about 5-10 minutes.i would hate to replace the unit.
I have yet to dig into it. It has been sitting here on my workbench for a long time now waiting me to try and fix it. I have looked at the PDF electrical diagrams and I am pretty sure I had zeroed in on the circuitry related to the relay(s) on the speaker outputs but I never opened the chassis up.

O

oddstan

Audiophyte
hi. i'm experiencing same problem on rx-a2020 as in subj.
one service center could nt provide any reason for that.
just stated that puredirect may solve the problem which was not accurate since with my usage (server/dlna, HDMI ARC) its not working. may be it helps with analog signal.
if any1 has electrical diagrams for rx-a2020 could you please share it? will try one more person to diagnose it.
thanks

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
This I think falls into the early bad main board problem the had with the early RX-A units most of them fail if they do , do to bad main processor boards I had and still use a RX-A 3020 that had this exact same thing happed to I sent it away they put a new upgraded main processor board and an new HDMI board in works better than new .
It cost about 350.00 to repair shipping included but was cheaper than the cost of a new flagship unit . Although I will upgrade to a 3080 this year or equivalent model if either one hits the market. This unit still does everything I want and need . They know about this problem with these units and the bad batch of boards so the service tech told me when I authorized the repair. Most failed after 5 years of use - after the warranty ran out .

59ctd

Audioholic Intern
This I think falls into the early bad main board problem the had with the early RX-A units most of them fail if they do , do to bad main processor boards I had and still use a RX-A 3020 that had this exact same thing happed to I sent it away they put a new upgraded main processor board and an new HDMI board in works better than new .
It cost about 350.00 to repair shipping included but was cheaper than the cost of a new flagship unit . Although I will upgrade to a 3080 this year or equivalent model if either one hits the market. This unit still does everything I want and need . They know about this problem with these units and the bad batch of boards so the service tech told me when I authorized the repair. Most failed after 5 years of use - after the warranty ran out .
Where did you send it away to get fixed? I would upgrade to a new unit but the new ones seem to not have the optical output for minidisc like the 2020 has.

@oddstan I do have the schematics from Yamaha but I cannot legit send/copy them since they are copyrighted. The CD was <$25.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Where did you send it away to get fixed? I would upgrade to a new unit but the new ones seem to not have the optical output for minidisc like the 2020 has.

@oddstan I do have the schematics from Yamaha but I cannot legit send/copy them since they are copyrighted. The CD was <$25.
Iam in Ohio I had Best Buy send it to the regional service center in Kentucky. Best Buy told me to throw it away said it wasn’t fixable I told them there opinions I wasn’t there for send it in . This was after I had talked to the head Yamaha tech in California office. They had it 4 weeks installed the new boards and reprogrammed it checked it all out for a week and sent it home like new even cleaned all the boards and the dust out of it . I’ve got 5 sources hooked up to it for cable tv , blu-rays , iTunes, ruko stick etc it preforms flawlessly so to me the price wasn’t that bad to repair .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis