Yamaha RX-A2010 speaker outputs not working

S

Sick of seas

Audiophyte
Hello.

Got my dad's old Yamaha RX-A2010 this year. Everything was working fine for couple months. No problems whatsoever.
I' am using a 5.1 setup (was planning an upgrade to 9.2 setup, guess not) Yesterday noticed that my speakers are all muted. Except subwoofer. Still working just fine.
I ran the test tones option in settings and still no audio from front,center and surround speakers. Subwoofer works fine.
I'm guite new to home theater systems and i tried already to find solution to the nasty problem i'm having.
Guessing it's a hardware malfunction. Maybe something got broken. Don't know.
Does anyone have any advice?

P.s speakers work normally with my older Sony receiver.

Greetings from finland. Summers coming.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Save yourself some time, just replace that old AVR with another Yamaha AVR. :D Any other post ups or links should lead you Straight! to All Yamaha audio gear. Don’t worry they King of the Hill. But I’m not really sure they Produce or sell propane . Go ask one of the members “Hank”... <umm typo ADTG. he will Gladly verify my recommendations.;)

S

Sick of seas

Audiophyte
Save yourself some time, just replace that old AVR with another Yamaha AVR. :D Any other post ups or links should lead you Straight! to All Yamaha audio gear. Don’t worry they King of the Hill. But I’m not really sure they Produce or sell propane . Go ask one of the members “Hank”... <umm typo ADTG. he will Gladly verify my recommendations.;)
Dont quite have the money for a new AVR at the moment...

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Dont quite have the money for a new AVR at the moment...
My post wasn’t ment as advice well some of it, link ups will be posted up and some good advice on what to do will come. Call into Yamaha’s Customer service line or shoot them an email. They built that unit. or try finding a Reliable audio service repair shop close to where you live. But if you can not there will be shipping fees involved and even a standard one hour shop fee involved.

Last edited:
S

Sick of seas

Audiophyte
My post wasn’t ment as advice well some of it, link ups will be posted up and some good advice on what to do will come. Call into Yamaha’s Customer service line or shoot them an email. They built that unit. or try finding a Reparable Audio service repair shop close to where you live. But if you can not there will be shipping fees involved and even a standard one hour shop fee involved.
Alright. Thank you general Gmoney

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Alright. Thank you general Gmoney
Thanks! lolo you believe I’m general, just wait, be Patient your going to find No Other Forum on Audio on the internet close close to AH. “Good Guys” hangout on AH! Stick around, get to know some of the Good Fellas. :cool:;) Don’t know if you ever had Rabies? Lots of Anklebiters hang out here.:)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello.

Got my dad's old Yamaha RX-A2010 this year. Everything was working fine for couple months. No problems whatsoever.
I' am using a 5.1 setup (was planning an upgrade to 9.2 setup, guess not) Yesterday noticed that my speakers are all muted. Except subwoofer. Still working just fine.
I ran the test tones option in settings and still no audio from front,center and surround speakers. Subwoofer works fine.
I'm guite new to home theater systems and i tried already to find solution to the nasty problem i'm having.
Guessing it's a hardware malfunction. Maybe something got broken. Don't know.
Does anyone have any advice?

P.s speakers work normally with my older Sony receiver.

Greetings from finland. Summers coming.
Try a hard reset first, and repeat once of twice if that fails.
If it does fail, then there is either something wrong with the timer circuit that connects the speakers after a time delay to prevent turn on thumps. Or else the section of the power supply that powers the power amps has gone down. I suspect the former, as that is a known issue with older Yamaha receivers.

I don't know what you options for service are in Finland, but probably not worth the cost of repair.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It depends on our personal experiences with the brands.

If you've owned Yamaha and had reliability or customer service issues, then it makes sense to try your luck with another brand.

If you've owned Denon/Marantz and had reliability or customer service issues, then it makes sense to try your luck with another brand.

Same can be said of any brand.

Take-home message - it's not always Yamaha, and it's not always "AVR, AVR, AVR". :D

S

Sick of seas

Audiophyte
Try a hard reset first, and repeat once of twice if that fails.
If it does fail, then there is either something wrong with the timer circuit that connects the speakers after a time delay to prevent turn on thumps. Or else the section of the power supply that powers the power amps has gone down. I suspect the former, as that is a known issue with older Yamaha receivers.

I don't know what you options for service are in Finland, but probably not worth the cost of repair.
I'll try hard reset. Will post results later, thanks.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
It depends on our personal experiences with the brands.

If you've owned Yamaha and had reliability or customer service issues, then it makes sense to try your luck with another brand.

If you've owned Denon/Marantz and had reliability or customer service issues, then it makes sense to try your luck with another brand.

Same can be said of any brand.

Take-home message - it's not always Yamaha, and it's not always "AVR, AVR, AVR". :D
Buy everything Yamaha :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Buy everything Yamaha :)
Well, almost everything - AVRs, Pre-pros, Amps, Sound Mixers, Grand Pianos, Violins, Drums, Yachts, Motorcycles. :D

Yamaha currently doesn't have a big enough tower speaker like the Legacy Classic HD (44") or Signature SE (48"). :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Well, almost everything - AVRs, Pre-pros, Amps, Sound Mixers, Grand Pianos, Violins, Drums, Yachts, Motorcycles. :D

Yamaha currently doesn't have a big enough tower speaker like the Legacy Classic HD (44") or Signature SE (48"). :D
Oh but they do, just gotta be living in Japan to get them.:p Just save yourself some time Buy Yamaha :) Them Handbuilt speakers? No telling what you get. QC may not be as good as them overseas speaker builders. Open one up find a note saying Sucker!!:)

S

Sick of seas

Audiophyte
Hard reset did not fix the problem. Updated firmware also. Did not help either.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
As TLS Guy mentioned...
Try multiple Hard Resets, in some cases we have found up to 4 or 5 times may be required..

Just my $0.02... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard reset did not fix the problem. Updated firmware also. Did not help either.
You doing this with all connections still in place? Might try to see if you can reset (or multiple resets as suggested) with everything disconnected, and if successful, connect one at a time to see if one particular issue arises.

S

Sick of seas

Audiophyte
Not working. Just gonna dump the AVR. Thanks guys for the tips.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Not working. Just gonna dump the AVR. Thanks guys for the tips.
One more question, do you hear the click of the speaker relays a few seconds after you turn it on. If not then the problem is the timer circuit. If that is so then you could open the unit and "jump" the relays. You would have to then put switches to your speakers and switch them on manually after a suitable delay to prevent the turn on thump.

By the way, why to you call yourself Sick of seas, when seas make such useful drivers?

S

Sick of seas

Audiophyte
One more question, do you hear the click of the speaker relays a few seconds after you turn it on. If not then the problem is the timer circuit. If that is so then you could open the unit and "jump" the relays. You would have to then put switches to your speakers and switch them on manually after a suitable delay to prevent the turn on thump.

By the way, why to you call yourself Sick of seas, when seas make such useful drivers?
Yes i can hear the click, at least i think so.
Guess i dont ditch it just yet. I'll give it a couple of chances later. Thanks for the tip, i'll try it out.

Sick of seas is translated from my finnish nickname. Has nothing to do with Seas drivers

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes i can hear the click, at least i think so.
Guess i dont ditch it just yet. I'll give it a couple of chances later. Thanks for the tip, i'll try it out.

Sick of seas is translated from my finnish nickname. Has nothing to do with Seas drivers
If you can hear the click, then it means the timer circuit is probably OK. It is a pretty loud click so if you are uncertain if it there, then it probably is not. The 12 volt trigger I think works from the same timer. So see if there is 12 volts on the trigger output socket after a short delay. If not the timer is bad.

The other thing you could do is see if there is output from the preouts if that receiver has them.

J

JOElectronics

Audiophyte
Hello, this is must related to the DSP IC, if you click PURE DIRECT , you might get sound out of the front speakers. Just try. good luck.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis