Yamaha RX-A1080 no sound on sub on 7ch stereo but works on 2ch stereo???

M

Mattyo

Audiophyte
Hi, I hope someone can help me... I have the Yamaha RX-A1080 and love listening to music and movies equally, but I have encountered an issue where my REL subs don't output any sound on 7 channel stereo... However, on the 2 channel DSP and all other DSP configurations, the subs work fine... the light on the front of the receiver says the subs are on but they're definitely not outputting any sound. Is there something I'm missing or has Yamaha cheaped out on this option if you have a model below the RX-2080 or RX-A3080? Considering I paid $2199 Australian dollars, I'd be pretty disappointed if there's not a work around to this...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
We need more info. How do you have the subs connected to the AVR? Does this happen across all of the inputs? When you go into 7 channel stereo, did you go through the menu to ensure that you have bass going to the subs or are the speakers set to large?

M

Mattyo

Audiophyte
All speakers are set to small. The RELs are the HT1205 home theatre subs which are connected via the LFE input. It doesn't have the high level connections. I have Extra Bass turned on on the receiver as this usually activates the subs when listening to 2 or 7 channel stereo as I had on my previous Yamaha RX-A3030 receiver... I feel there's something I'm missing...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The subs work when using Straight, DTS NeuralX and DSU (Dolby Surround), but doesn’t work using 7CH Stereo?

M

Mattyo

Audiophyte
To clarify, when I watch any content whether it be free to air broadcasts or Netflix or what ever on my Sony tv (X95G) through the receiver, there's no sound coming from the subs when I choose 7 CH stereo. When I play music through say the Apple Airplay on the receiver, the subs work perfectly in 7 CH stereo. So if I wanted to watch a concert that's on say Disney+ or Netflix, subs won't come on if I choose 7 ch stereo for audio... I've tried turning eArc off and on on tv and it makes no difference

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I would visit the settings of the TV as this appears whats making the difference on whether or not you get sound from the subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would visit the settings of the TV as this appears whats making the difference on whether or not you get sound from the subs.
Does seem to be the item in common but how would a tv's sound output work on stereo but not multich stereo? Does the Yamaha manual spell out any combinations of sound modes and input types where this wouldn't be available?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You raise a good point. The fact that he can get 7 channel stereo from his Apple device means the AVR is working but maybe its an HDMI handshake issue between the TV and the AVR.

To the OP, shutdown all ARC between the TV and AVR and retest. That means going through the input and Scene menu. I suggest avoiding using scene until you get it working. Then reprogram scene for that input.

Also try connecting the TV to another input on if all else fails. If that works, its definately a setting issue with your current input.

M

Mattyo

Audiophyte
Update, I have since discovered that the tv is set to Auto1 by default, which up-converts PCM to Dolby Digital Plus, which in 7 channel stereo, the subs will not kick in... I have changed the tv setting to Auto2 which does not up-convert PCM to Dolby Digital Plus and leaves audio in PCM which means the subs kick in when I select 7ch audio... I really do appreciate everyone's help and input with regards to this... However, I still do find it strange that the subs would not kick in in Dolby Digital Plus...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Update, I have since discovered that the tv is set to Auto1 by default, which up-converts PCM to Dolby Digital Plus, which in 7 channel stereo, the subs will not kick in... I have changed the tv setting to Auto2 which does not up-convert PCM to Dolby Digital Plus and leaves audio in PCM which means the subs kick in when I select 7ch audio... I really do appreciate everyone's help and input with regards to this... However, I still do find it strange that the subs would not kick in in Dolby Digital Plus...
Good to hear. I always leave my source devices in PCM because you never know what funky behaviour like you experienced can occur. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I'm more confused now. Why would a tv convert PCM to DD+? DD+ would include at least the made-up LFE channel if it really is upmixing (which I don't think tvs generally can do....but what tv do you have?). Then again I don't understand the use of 7ch stereo mode either :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I'm more confused now. Why would a tv convert PCM to DD+? DD+ would include at least the made-up LFE channel if it really is upmixing (which I don't think tvs generally can do....but what tv do you have?). Then again I don't understand the use of 7ch stereo mode either :)
You dont know what kind of flags are being set by the TV which will cause wonky behaviour downstream on the AVR. I ALWAYS set to PCM and let the AVR do the decoding.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You dont know what kind of flags are being set by the TV which will cause wonky behaviour downstream on the AVR. I ALWAYS set to PCM and let the AVR do the decoding.
Heck I'm not positive of the connection being HDMI and this is audio via ARC or if the tv is capable of outputting more than 2ch pcm for that matter. Or what sound mode/dsp as I'm not that familiar with Yamaha terminology (like what is 2ch dsp?).

Since the tv is eARC I just saw now in looking back, I wonder it can handle multich pcm audio, I've seen specific references to the new eARC stuff being able to pass out lossless codecs like Dolby TrueHD/Atmos, but haven't seen specific mention of a decoder in the tv let alone why a tv would need to export multich pcm. PCM is already decoded and generally 2ch for tvs afaik, maybe the newest tvs are different.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Heck I'm not positive of the connection being HDMI and this is audio via ARC or if the tv is capable of outputting more than 2ch pcm for that matter. Or what sound mode/dsp as I'm not that familiar with Yamaha terminology (like what is 2ch dsp?).

Since the tv is eARC I just saw now in looking back, I wonder it can handle multich pcm audio, I've seen specific references to the new eARC stuff being able to pass out lossless codecs like Dolby TrueHD/Atmos, but haven't seen specific mention of a decoder in the tv let alone why a tv would need to export multich pcm. PCM is already decoded and generally 2ch for tvs afaik, maybe the newest tvs are different.
I keep getting my terminology confused...My source signals are always configured to send out undecoded signals (bitstream I believe its called) and I let my AVR do the decoding to prevent the wonky behaviour from happening.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis