Yamaha rx-a 2070 vs Denon avr-x4400h

S

stonemarten

Junior Audioholic
Dear experts,

I need your help for understand what’s the best amplifier for my needs and budget, since my Marantz SR 7002 is acting weird after 10 years of good listening

I’ve drilled down 2 choices inside my budget and compared with the top end:
1. Yamaha rx-a 2070 (it seems that the 3070 has got better processor – 32 bit – but cost almost double, not sure that the difference worth the money)
2. Denon avr-x4400h (again, the main difference with the more pricey 6400 seems to be the capability to run 11.2 instead of 9.2 and the amplifier that are monolith instead of discrete)

The Yamaha uses the Cinema DSP HD ³ while the Denon uses a more standard Auro 3D. The Denon uses a 32 bit SHARC processor even in this lower end model

My system is a 7.2 with everything pre amped except for the surround and rear surround, that are 50W 8 ohm speaker so I don’t need so much power to run. I’ve no plan to add more speakers

I would like to take a pre-amp only but unfortunately they are way out of budget. The focus is more on listening music but I’ll use the same system for enjoy movies

I was thinking to get the Denon, is cheaper and has got the 32 bit processor in the model I can afford

I hope I give you enough details :)

Thanks in advance for all the recommendations, even on different models!
Cheers

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
S

stonemarten

Junior Audioholic
Kurt,

thanks so much for share the links. Unfortunately, they are not going to work where I live now (Japan, 100V...)

cheers

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ve drilled down 2 choices inside my budget and compared with the top end:
1. Yamaha rx-a 2070 (it seems that the 3070 has got better processor – 32 bit – but cost almost double, not sure that the difference worth the money)
What exactly are you referring to, and what source? The Denon has Audyssey XT32 Sub EQHT so I am sure it has powerful processors too. It has has a 32 bit DSD capable DAC onboard that should be comparable with the one in the RX-A2070. If the Yamaha really costs almost double, the Denon should be an easy choice.

S

stonemarten

Junior Audioholic
Peng,

probably I didn't explain myself in the best way... I was comparing the model in my target, the 2070, with its big and more expensive brother, the 3070, that carry a more powerful 32bit processor, while the 2070 doesn't (Source: Yamaha official web site)
In the Denon, even the model in my target (the 4400) has got a 32bit processor SHARC (source: Denon official web site)
Still not sure which is better, the 2070 or the 4400... Any recommendation?

Thanks

Cheers

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng,

probably I didn't explain myself in the best way... I was comparing the model in my target, the 2070, with its big and more expensive brother, the 3070, that carry a more powerful 32bit processor, while the 2070 doesn't (Source: Yamaha official web site)
In the Denon, even the model in my target (the 4400) has got a 32bit processor SHARC (source: Denon official web site)
Still not sure which is better, the 2070 or the 4400... Any recommendation?

Thanks

Cheers
Thank you for correcting me. I prefer Denon's Audyssey DEQ. Aside from that I think they are very comparable, close enough that you can just flip a coin.

S

stonemarten

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Peng, I had the same feeling even after hear them live playing the same setup at a shop here... can't see any difference from my humble point of view...
I think I'll go for the Denon, cheaper :)

Thanks very much for the inputs, appreciate it

cheers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis